Replacing HDD and keeping linux installation

Replacing HDD and keeping linux installation

Post by Oliver Co » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have installed Caldera OpenLinux Lite 1.2 successfully on a box with
the following spec (Pentium 60Mhz, 24MB RAM, 400MB HDD). I have done
serveral recompiles (5 hours each !) to get things like IP
Masquerading to work, and am now satisfied with the results. I would,
however, like to install a larger harddrive, as the current one only
has 30mb free. I don't have another drive bay in the box, so would
like to transfer the whole of the drive across onto the new one, and
then just run it with the single, large drive.

Is this easy to achieve?

Finally, are there maximum sizes for partitions in linux? I was
thinking of a 10 or 12gb drive, since they're really cheap these days.
What would be an efficient way of partitioning it?

Thanks!

Ollie

Replacing HDD and keeping linux installation

Post by Oliver Co » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

any ideas anyone? Not sure if this got thru the first time.

Ollie

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:29:02 GMT,

--
 Oliver Cook
 [WORK] http://www.premiere.uk.com

Replacing HDD and keeping linux installation

dd if=/<old drive> of=/<new drive>

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group