xwindows and 'talk'

Post by Jake K » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Howdy..

If someone tries to talk to me while I am in X, I don't get
any message telling me that someone is paging me.  Instead, I
only hear a beep.  The paging message is coming into my console
where I 'startx' so I have to 'shell' out from X to see who's
paging.

I tried to use the 'xterm' with -C option, but that doesn't
seem to work.

Anyone with solution?

=g=

xwindows and 'talk'

Post by Dougal Campbe » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Howdy..
> If someone tries to talk to me while I am in X, I don't get
> any message telling me that someone is paging me.  Instead, I
> only hear a beep.  The paging message is coming into my console
> where I 'startx' so I have to 'shell' out from X to see who's
> paging.

In your .fvwmrc (or equivalent), before you start your window manager,
execute a 'mesg n' command.  This will prevent messages from going to
the text console, forcing them to go to your xterms instead.  You might
also want to have a reciprocal 'mesg y' in there after your window
manager exits.

--
Dougal Campbell      | "Confused? Don't be.  If a subnet mask is used on
System Administrator |  your network, your network administrator will

xwindows and 'talk'

Post by Moira Wats » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>If someone tries to talk to me while I am in X, I don't get
>any message telling me that someone is paging me.  Instead, I
>only hear a beep.  The paging message is coming into my console
>where I 'startx' so I have to 'shell' out from X to see who's
>paging.
>Anyone with solution?

Well, since you are using startx -- the easiest thing to do is turn
'mesg n' on your console(s) before you start up X11...

Because I typically use X11 more than the consoles, I have 'mesg n' in
my .tcshrc and then have a 'mesg y' in a script that sets up a tlog
(term) monitor in one of the xterms.  That way I've got a fake console
window.

moira

xwindows and 'talk'

Post by zin » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

1. 'Talk' can't talk on Freebsd 4.4?

Hi guys,

I ran 'talk' today on my freshly installed 4.4-release box, the thing keeps
on reporting "checking for invitation on caller's machine." I enabled ntalkd
in inetd.conf and it doesn't really ressolve the problem. I then try out
/usr/libexec/ntalkd and it reported something like "open socket on
non-socket" or something similar to that. Anyone knows what's the matter
with my installation?

2. My Backup of data

3. 'talk' message does not appear in XWindows..

4. Problems with: National chars and starting X as non-root

5. Need Help to run school's xwindow programs on linux's xwindow

6. "Free" command shows excessive usage?

7. What's wrong with 'talk'?

8. Urgent Firewall-Help needed

9. 'talk' for hp's.

10. 'talk' can't connect to others on the net

11. can't 'talk' (even locally)

12. Slackware 1.1.2 talk(1) won't talk to Suns (explain talkd)

13. talk daemon? - Why talk don't work?