Really basic newbie question

Post by Robert Bark » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I know this is a very basic question and I apologize in advance for not finding
it on my own.  I need to add a directory to my Path and need to set an
environment variable to point to a specific directory as well (for KDE
desktop).  I have read HOW-TO's until the text is dancing on the screen and
still can't completely come to grips with it - especially setting the
evironment variable.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance
for your time and trouble.

Bob

Really basic newbie question

Post by Roy Stogn » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I know this is a very basic question and I apologize in advance for
>not finding it on my own.  I need to add a directory to my Path and
>need to set an environment variable to point to a specific directory
>as well (for KDE desktop).

In bash and related:
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde
...to do it once, or add the above two lines to the end of
/etc/profile (or another file called from ~/.bash_profile) to do it
permanently.

In tcsh and related:
setenv PATH $PATH:/opt/kde/bin
setenv KDEDIR /opt/kde
...to do it once, or add the above two lines to the end of ~/.cshrc or
/etc/cshrc to do it permanently.

"man bash" if you want to learn EVERYTHING shell related like this
(you can do some REALLY cool stuff in 5 lines at the command prompt
once you know how) or start out with the guides at the Linux
Documentation Project, http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP for a more
well-paced introduction.

Obligatory plug:
Since I found no way to work it into the above post, I'll just stick
the URL http://roystgnr.jones.rice.edu/links/ here and ask people to
follow it on faith.
---
Roy Stogner

1. Really, really newbie questions

I have RedHat 3.0.3 (kind of)installed on a 486, but I have a feeling I'm
missing the point here, because I haven't got the xwindows running properly.

With the help of a unix-conversant friend, I have an NFS thingie running, so I
can address the linux machine from my win95 box, and I can muck about with the
webserver, but I hear tales of control panels and install/uninstall functions
that I have never seen. Is RPM only available via xwindows?

If I get an Xwindows client running on my win95 box, will I be able to get all
the functionality I would get if I had had the fortitude to get linux and the
video card in the 486 talking to one another properly?

I'm trying to learn linux, I swear to God...

2. Server Breach

3. very basic basic newbie question

4. Rsh hung - check status

5. Really basic script input question

6. another tough sed problem: sed dependency

7. A Really Basic Question

8. PROBLEMS with Turtle Beach 6x CDROM

9. Really basic questions about Solstice Backup 6.1

10. really basic hostname question

11. A really basic question about installing BSD

12. really basic questions

13. RH6.0: Really basic login question