/proc dirs recursing indefinately

Post by joha » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Has any body seen recursive copies of the /proc directory structure
digging down into itself in RH 5.2??? i was doing a find on a 2.4 GB
disk that didn't come back for over 1/2 hour. saw that there were over
30 copies of /proc and some other directories nested into itself.
copied files had 0 length. hmmm....???
any help appreciated.
john.

/proc dirs recursing indefinately

Post by Matthias Wark » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

It was the Wed, 03 Feb 1999 07:15:08 GMT...

> Has any body seen recursive copies of the /proc directory structure
> digging down into itself in RH 5.2??? i was doing a find on a 2.4 GB
> disk that didn't come back for over 1/2 hour. saw that there were over
> 30 copies of /proc and some other directories nested into itself.
> copied files had 0 length. hmmm....???

Was it by any chance a find that followed symbolic links? Probably it
hit the link deep in /proc that linked to its own working directory...
back to the directory where the link was!

D'oh. Solution: Prune /proc when doing a find -follow.

mawa
--
I refuse to consign the whole male sex to the nursery.  I insist on
believing that some men are my equals.

/proc dirs recursing indefinately

Post by joha » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

thnx Matthias,
thats exactly it.!!!
johann

>It was the Wed, 03 Feb 1999 07:15:08 GMT...

>> Has any body seen recursive copies of the /proc directory structure
>> digging down into itself in RH 5.2??? i was doing a find on a 2.4 GB
>> disk that didn't come back for over 1/2 hour. saw that there were over
>> 30 copies of /proc and some other directories nested into itself.
>> copied files had 0 length. hmmm....???

>Was it by any chance a find that followed symbolic links? Probably it
>hit the link deep in /proc that linked to its own working directory...
>back to the directory where the link was!

>D'oh. Solution: Prune /proc when doing a find -follow.

>mawa

1. How to get a cmd to recurse through a dir tree

:       How would I get a command like 'touch' to recurse through a dir
: tree. For example. If a had the dir structure:

[snip]

:       I would like to issue the touch command in the Linux directory
: and have it perform touch on every file, in every dir within the Linux
: directory. Is this possible?

Check out the man pages of find(1) and xargs(1). For example:

   find your_dir -type f -name '*.c' | xargs touch

The FIND can be used to print the names of all kinds of files (in
the example, plain files that have names ending in ".c", the
XARGS will run the TOUCH command on all filenames it can read from
stdin. This combination can be used to make *any* command work
on any set of (tree-structured or not) files. Consider also:

   xargs some-command < /tmp/some_file

this will apply some-command to all files mentioned in "some_file",
no matter how you obtained the names.

Hope this helps,
        Ruurd
Ruurd Beerstra, CMG-IT, Netherlands. | #include <stddisclaimer.h>

2. Linux problem with NCSA httpd 1.4.1

3. Apache MultiViews: /dir returns /dir/, not dir.html

4. My mouse cursor looks terrible plz help!

5. weird... can't put a cd \dir\dir\dir\ in a .csh file...

6. so much for the "mouse problem"

7. PROPOSAL: /proc standards (was dot-proc interface [was: /proc

8. contract questions

9. PROPOSAL: /proc standards (was dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff])

10. Big "kcore" file in my /proc dir

11. how big should the /proc dir be?

12. Filter /proc/mounts based on process root dir

13. How do I display current dir if no dir is given