What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Satvi » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:57:27



Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's not available on
Debian ..

Does anybody know a simple built in text based editor on Debian?
I gotta edit some config files but don't know what I can use.

Thanx guys

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Davi » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:01:15



> Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's not available on
> Debian ..

> Does anybody know a simple built in text based editor on Debian?
> I gotta edit some config files but don't know what I can use.

Is "vi" installed?

--
Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Tony Curti » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:03:09


>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:57:27 -0600,

> Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's
> not available on Debian ..

Isn't there a package to install?  Or compile and install
it from source.

Quote:> Does anybody know a simple built in text based editor on
> Debian?  I gotta edit some config files but don't know
> what I can use.

ed, of course (modulo various definitions of "simple" :-)

vi is the "standard" UNIX/Linux editor.

hth
t
--
Wait up guys!  I've gotta empty my grass bag.

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Satvi » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:10:30


vi is not simple at all :(


> >> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:57:27 -0600,

> > Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's
> > not available on Debian ..

> Isn't there a package to install?  Or compile and install
> it from source.

> > Does anybody know a simple built in text based editor on
> > Debian?  I gotta edit some config files but don't know
> > what I can use.

> ed, of course (modulo various definitions of "simple" :-)

> vi is the "standard" UNIX/Linux editor.

> hth
> t
> --
> Wait up guys!  I've gotta empty my grass bag.

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by John Hasle » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:11:22


Quote:Satvic writes:
> Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's not available on
> Debian ..

toncho/~ apt-cache search pico
e3 - A very small editor
joe - user friendly full screen text editor
nano - free Pico clone with some new features
nano-tiny - free Pico clone with some new features - tiny build
nano-tiny-utf8 - free Pico clone with some new features - tiny build with utf8

Quote:> Does anybody know a simple built in text based editor on Debian?

"Built in"?  I don't understand what you mean by that.

Quote:> I gotta edit some config files but don't know what I can use.

Try 'editor'.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI
 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Carl Fin » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:22:10



> Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's not available on
> Debian ..

Because it isn't free.  However, Debian does have nano, a free Pico
clone, according to apt-cache search.
--

Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>
 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Herb Stei » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:58:29



Quote:> vi is not simple at all :(

vi may not be simple, but is everywhere.



> > >> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:57:27 -0600,

> > > Simple question .. used to Pico on Redhat .. but it's
> > > not available on Debian ..

> > Isn't there a package to install?  Or compile and install
> > it from source.

> > > Does anybody know a simple built in text based editor on
> > > Debian?  I gotta edit some config files but don't know
> > > what I can use.

> > ed, of course (modulo various definitions of "simple" :-)

> > vi is the "standard" UNIX/Linux editor.

> > hth
> > t
> > --
> > Wait up guys!  I've gotta empty my grass bag.

--
--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group
www.herbstein.com

314 952-4601
 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Septic Fles » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:34:22


well redhat is bad 4 people . .it makes them robots....

how on earth did u come to a debian from a rethat box..... One is the
hardest to configure and the other the easiest one....(its does it
automatically).

vi is the best ....just learn the basics...

r - replace
dd/dw del word/line
/  /find
:w
:q!
:q

U can do everything with only using those commands

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Grant Edwar » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:01:30




>> vi is not simple at all :(

> vi may not be simple, but is everywhere.

The man's right.  You've got to be able to do some minimal
editing with vi.  Someday you'll have to. Really.  Assuming the
arrow keys work, you only need to learn 3 commands: x,i,<esc>:wq

Once you can do that much you can always grit your teeth and
use vi to get to the point where you can run whatever editor
you prefer.

Or, you can learn "ed", it's always there too.  I've got a
friend who's a whiz with ed: it's an amazing thing to watch.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  VICARIOUSLY
                                  at               experience some reason
                               visi.com            to LIVE!!

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Jim Fulle » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:17:56





>>>vi is not simple at all :(

>>vi may not be simple, but is everywhere.

> The man's right.  You've got to be able to do some minimal
> editing with vi.  Someday you'll have to. Really.  Assuming the
> arrow keys work, you only need to learn 3 commands: x,i,<esc>:wq

Oh, no.  You gotta have the most importantest one,-- :q!

--
Jim Fuller

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Grant Edwar » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:42:18





>>>>vi is not simple at all :(

>>>vi may not be simple, but is everywhere.

>> The man's right.  You've got to be able to do some minimal
>> editing with vi.  Someday you'll have to. Really.  Assuming the
>> arrow keys work, you only need to learn 3 commands: x,i,<esc>:wq

> Oh, no.  You gotta have the most importantest one,-- :q!

Yup, that's pretty handy to know, though I've always found that
"ctrl-Z" followed by "kill %1" works OK.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  WHOA!! I'm having
                                  at               a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE
                               visi.com            right NOW!!

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Satvi » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:32:39


LOL,

When you right YOU'RE RIGHT!

I just spend 2 hours learning and practicing vi ...  it's a *, but it
does the job.
I am more used to programming with Visual basic where it helps me remember
properties etc..

vi is a dinosaur age thing :))

Thanx guys.

For a simple, comprehensive tutorial check this out:
http://www.veryComputer.com/~taylor/4ltrwrd/Vi.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------






> >>>>vi is not simple at all :(

> >>>vi may not be simple, but is everywhere.

> >> The man's right.  You've got to be able to do some minimal
> >> editing with vi.  Someday you'll have to. Really.  Assuming the
> >> arrow keys work, you only need to learn 3 commands: x,i,<esc>:wq

> > Oh, no.  You gotta have the most importantest one,-- :q!

> Yup, that's pretty handy to know, though I've always found that
> "ctrl-Z" followed by "kill %1" works OK.

> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  WHOA!! I'm having
>                                   at               a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE
>                                visi.com            right NOW!!

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Satvi » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:50:04


LOL,

I am Windows sys admin and asp developer .. so I decided to learn Linux ( or
at least start ) cause I have a few friends back in Russia who won't use
anything else. So I am doing Linux certification course .. (everything worth
doing - is worth doing right).  I paid for the course cause there is one of
the is a Linux Guru available each day. Most of Linux user in the world are
users of Mandrake and RedHat ... right now I am doing a chapter on
Installing other distributions .. so I decided to mess around with Debian. I
figure if I manage to set it up and running .. I can handle any distr. after
that :))

So far I got network configured. .. but X windows is a * on Debian
:((   wish me luck


S


> well redhat is bad 4 people . .it makes them robots....

> how on earth did u come to a debian from a rethat box..... One is the
> hardest to configure and the other the easiest one....(its does it
> automatically).

> vi is the best ....just learn the basics...

> r - replace
> dd/dw del word/line
> /  /find
> :w
> :q!
> :q

> U can do everything with only using those commands

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Floyd Davidso » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:11:04



>LOL,

>When you right YOU'RE RIGHT!

>I just spend 2 hours learning and practicing vi ...  it's a *, but it
>does the job.
>I am more used to programming with Visual basic where it helps me remember
>properties etc..

>vi is a dinosaur age thing :))

Actually, all joking aside, vi is one Hell of an editor.

Mind you that is from someone who simply detests it.  I'm
an Emacs bigot from here to there.

But the simple facts are that some people are more confortable
with the mode style and the command style of vi than they are
with Emacs.  For some of us it is the opposite.  And there are
people that aren't really bothered by either, and can use both.

I would *highly* suggest that you learn enough of both vi and
Emacs to decide realistically which one is easier for _you_ to
use, and then that you set out to learn it from one end to the
other.  (And trust that it will take *many* moons to become
actually proficient at either of them.)

Sit down with a tutorial, and *try* every command. Make up a
crib sheet and keep in handy.  *Use* new commands regularly.

When you get to the point where 99% of what you do with an
editor just happens, without the slightest thought to how it
can be done, you'll be damned glad you are using either vi or
emacs instead of any other editor, because 1/4 of what you do,
they can't (except with Emacs, the others can't do 1/2 what it
can ;-).

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.veryComputer.com/~floyd>

 
 
 

What's a simple Text based editor on Debian?

Post by Skylar Thompso » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:02:53



> vi is not simple at all :(

Use the vimtutor program. It got me going in vim in under an hour. Just run
"vimtutor" (without the quotes) on a command line, and it will execute.
Good luck!

--

 
 
 

1. Programmer's Text Based Editor

Hi, I figured this would be the best group to ask this question.

I am looking for a text editor (like vi, pic) that is text based, but
with many features a programmer would like such as autoindentation
of code, etc...  If you have a source you could direct me to, it would
be very appreciated.

Regards,

Pat

2. Switch to Solaris

3. Motif Based Visual Text Editor

4. route eth0 and eth1???

5. Text based colorizing editor for C

6. BETA: Storix Backup Administrator Version 2.0

7. GUI based text editor for code?

8. Reading is much more interesting than TV (0878/1708)

9. Where can I find xedit (the X11 based bare bones text editor) ?

10. Xcoral-3.1 - multiwindow, mouse-based text editor for X11

11. gloe.0.5 Motif based Text editor release.

12. Needed: Text based editor (PICO or JOE)

13. aXe 6.1 - simple X11 text editor