Problems restoring from a DAT tape

Post by Michael Dill » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have an Exabyte 4200C DAT tape drive that I've been using to back up
my Linux system using tar. But now that I want to restore some files
from a tape I get wierd read errors.

My system was a Caldera preview, upgraded to RedHat 3.03 and then
RedHat 4.00 in piecemeal fashion over the net. I have a 1.2.13 kernel and
a 2.0.18 kernel and in both cases I get the SCSI errors on several
different tapes. Even the command

cat </dev/st0 |less

gives the error, usually near the end of the /bin directory or just past
the end of /bin.

The machine is an ASUS PVI 486SP3 motherboard with Intel DX4/100
and a Buslogic 946C host adapter. It has a one gig IDE drive and
another 1 gig SCSI drive as well as SCSI CD-ROM and the Exabyte.
16 megs RAM, ATI Mach64 PCI video.

Could this be anything other than a defective DAT drive?

--
Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049

Post by Paul Rub » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I have an Exabyte 4200C DAT tape drive that I've been using to back up
>my Linux system using tar. But now that I want to restore some files
>from a tape I get wierd read errors...
>Could this be anything other than a defective DAT drive?

It could be dirty.  Try running a cleaning tape at least 3 times.
Then try reading your backup tape again.