Proper place to put downloaded files

Post by David » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
  It seems like Linux have a certain places for certain files. What
about for files that you downloaded, do I have to put it in a certain
area to make installation/unpgrading more convenient. or maybe there is
no such thing.

Dave

Post by David Z. Maz » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

DP> It seems like Linux have a certain places for certain files. What
DP> about for files that you downloaded, do I have to put it in a
DP> certain area to make installation/unpgrading more convenient. or
DP> maybe there is no such thing.

For compiling things, typically the sources go under /usr/src or
/usr/local/src.  It could be most convenient to download files to one
of those two directories.  Or perhaps /tmp, or $HOME, or some such
thing.  It really doesn't matter.  Since you generally don't save the
tarballs, putting them in The Right Place isn't really that important,
IMHO.

(Personally, I download things to /usr/local/tmp, since I've got room
on my /usr partition, then unpack sources in /usr/local/src and
compile there.  But that's most likely just me.)

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called

\_____________________________/

Post by da.. » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: Hi,
:   It seems like Linux have a certain places for certain files. What
: about for files that you downloaded, do I have to put it in a certain
: area to make installation/unpgrading more convenient. or maybe there is
: no such thing.

 I download to /tmp which is on my work partition. If you have tmpwatch
running and forget to delete the files, they should disappear in 10 days or
so.

 Otherwise, download to where ever you feel like, make a directory in your
home directory.

--

 --> http://www.distributed.net/rc5 <-- The worlds fastest computer
---> http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&MID=3229

Proper place to put downloaded files

Post by Matthias Wark » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I do that kind of stuff in /tmp, but I heard about someone who has got a
non-standard directory /stuff.

mawa
--

Post by Larr » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>: Hi,
>:   It seems like Linux have a certain places for certain files. What
>: about for files that you downloaded, do I have to put it in a certain
>: area to make installation/unpgrading more convenient. or maybe there is
>: no such thing.

I just download to /home/me/downloads and build and install from there.

Works fine.

Post by Gary L. Hennig » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

| I do that kind of stuff in /tmp, but I heard about someone who has got a
| non-standard directory /stuff.

Just one caveat about using /tmp. Many distros, I believe, clean that
sucker out after every reboot. This is great, IF you know it's going
to happen. It's pretty annoying if you don't know it though. Certainly
Debian cleans out /tmp upon startup, and, in case anyone wanted to
know, so does Paragon OSF/1.

Gary

Post by krw.. » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>>: Hi,
>>:   It seems like Linux have a certain places for certain files. What
>>: about for files that you downloaded, do I have to put it in a certain
>>: area to make installation/unpgrading more convenient. or maybe there is
>>: no such thing.

My own personal practice is to download to /usr/src, extract my tarball
there, build it and so forth, then move the tarball to /usr/src/installed.

Owing to my SunOS/Solaris background, I install to /opt/{appname} with
a soft link to the binary in /usr/bin, but have lately been using
/usr/local{appname} with a soft-link to the binary in /usr/bin.

I haven't read the File System Standard in some time.  Does it address
these issues?

Quote:> I just download to /home/me/downloads and build and install from there.
> Works fine.

Kurt
--

http://www.users.uswest.net