Boot problems with Red Hat Linux and Adaptec 2940AU

Boot problems with Red Hat Linux and Adaptec 2940AU

Post by Joachim Strombergso » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Tja!

I recently tried to install Red Hat Linux on my system. I used the Red
Hat 5 distribution and besides the lack of a "back"-button in the
installation program and the obvious mistake to not be able to search
for the distribution on a disk not correctly labeled, everything seemed
to be fine.

But, when I tried to restar my machine, the system didn't find my disk!
Only when I turned the power off and on again did the drive appear.

I have an Adaptec 2940AU card with a Fujitsu SCSI drive as main drive,
but my CD-ROM is connected to one of the IDE slots built in to the MB.

Since I have a Win95 system on the disk I installed LILO, and I tried
both to install it in MBR and in the first part of the Linuz partition,
but both versions gave me the same drive-losing problems. (Yes, I did a
complete reinstall in between).

What went wrong here? Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

BTW: (Is this a flame thrower :-) I've never had these problems with
FreeBSD.

(... But I wanted to try Linux... Did that dampen the flames? :-)
--
Med v?nlig h?lsning

Joachim Str?mbergson - Alltid i harmonisk sv?ngning

Engineer, nice to CUTE animals.

Ericsson Microwave Systems AB
Core Unit ASIC Technology and System on Silicon
SE-431 84 M?lndal

Phone:          +46 31 747 1223
Mobile phone:   +46 70 694 78 53
Fax:            +46 31 27 10 30

Post by Carlo Grazia » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Tja!

>I recently tried to install Red Hat Linux on my system. I used the Red
>Hat 5 distribution and besides the lack of a "back"-button in the
>installation program and the obvious mistake to not be able to search
>for the distribution on a disk not correctly labeled, everything seemed
>to be fine.

>But, when I tried to restar my machine, the system didn't find my disk!
>Only when I turned the power off and on again did the drive appear.

>I have an Adaptec 2940AU card with a Fujitsu SCSI drive as main drive,
>but my CD-ROM is connected to one of the IDE slots built in to the MB.

>Since I have a Win95 system on the disk I installed LILO, and I tried
>both to install it in MBR and in the first part of the Linuz partition,
>but both versions gave me the same drive-losing problems. (Yes, I did a
>complete reinstall in between).

Hi.

If you are installing RH5.1, you may be experiencing a problem
with the somewhat broken aic7xxx SCSI driver in the 2.0.34 linux
kernel.  On my systems (same SCSI host adapter as yours), I fixed
the problem by upgrading to the 2.0.35 kernel, although I have heard
that this fix doesn't work for everybody.  If building and installing
2.0.35 does not solve your problem, going to 2.0.32 certainly should.
After which, track the kernel releases until a new one comes out that
drives your hardware properly.

Regards,
Carlo Graziani
c-graziani AT uchicago DOT edu (sorry about that)

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. RedHad ftp woes

3. Adaptec 2940AU/SyJet boot problem

4. Conner 540mb and Linux

5. Install Problem with Adaptec 39160 SCSI Adapter and Red Hat Linux 7.0

6. Linux (UMSDOS) + bootpd + X

7. INFO-UNIX Digest V15#132

8. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

9. Can't detect Adaptec 1540B during boot up Red Hat 6.1

10. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

11. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

12. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers