RAID level 1 does not need chunksize

Post by Xavier Houppert » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 20:05:57

Hello,

This is a little question about my raid redhat 7.1 system.
I initially made my raidtab according to Raid-howto like this :

#
# 'persistent' RAID1 setup, with no spare disks:
#
raiddev /dev/md0
    raid-level                1
    nr-raid-disks             2
    nr-spare-disks            0
    chunk-size                4

    device                    /dev/sda6
    raid-disk                 0
    device                    /dev/sdb6
    raid-disk                 1

raiddev /dev/md1
    raid-level                1
    nr-raid-disks             2
    nr-spare-disks            0
    chunk-size                4

    device                    /dev/sda7
    raid-disk             0
    device                    /dev/sdb7
    raid-disk                 1

raiddev /dev/md2
    raid-level                1
    nr-raid-disks             2
    nr-spare-disks            0
    chunk-size                4

    device                    /dev/sda8
    raid-disk                 0
    device                    /dev/sdb8
    raid-disk                 1

at boot, I always get the following error :
RAID level 1 does not need chunksize! Continuing anyway.

It doesn't seem to hurt, I'm not sure. Could you confirm ? Otherwise, can I
just remove the chunksize line from my raidtab and reboot ?

thanks for help,
xavier

1. "RAID level 1 does not need chunksize!"

While looking at output of dmesg on one machine, I suddenly noticed:

md: sdc1's event counter: 0000002f
RAID level 1 does not need chunksize!  Continuing anyway.
md0: max total readahead window set to 124k

I am bit confused about this. The raidtab manual page does not say
anything about chunk-size parameter not needing to be set for RAID1
file systems. In addition, after having used other software RAID
implementations, it seems unnatural to me that you can't set the chunk
size for RAID1 file systems. So, what is chunk-size is set on RAID1
devices to and how?

-akop

2. PAS-16 SCSI problem kernel 1.05

3. RAID chunksize advice needed

4. Upgrade

5. raid superblock error using raidstart (level 0 software raid)

6. setuid programs and dynamic libraries

7. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

8. Who is Successfully using Orchid Kelvin??

9. RAID 7 for AIX Is An Extension Of The 5 Berkeley RAID Levels

10. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

11. RAID Level 1 errors, need advice...

12. X not running from level 3 but does from level 5

13. server/raid/solaris upgrading - need help (raid manager)