3c509 lose network after 10 pings

Post by Dave » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

 I just intalled RH6.0 (I attempted to install RH6.1 and Madrake 6.1 but
couldn't get the ftp isntall to work). The network settings go fine and it
appears that I have a network connection, but after several seconds
everything is unreachable. I have a 3c509 network card.

If I restart the network (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart) everything is
fine for several seconds once again. I repeated the above and pinged my
gateway, ten attempts and I averaged 10 pings until I was not able to ping
again. The same also happens when I pinged the machine with the 3c509 from
my other machine on the network.

 The wierd part is is the machine has Redhat 5.0(ish) with kernel 2.0.35 and
the 3c509 NIC is working fine. Been using it for over 2 years.

 I'm sure the driver for this card has changed in two years, anyone know
what changed and how I could fix it?

3c509 lose network after 10 pings

Post by Eric Dobb » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Brainstorms (since I have no real idea what's happening with this :) --

(1) Is your ISA bus overclocked beyond 8.33MHz?  Are there any other
possible configurable physical causes of this problem?  It seems odd that
a mechanical/electrical problem would creep up only after a software
upgrade, but if you had to reboot and hadn't done so in a long while, it
becomes (slightly) more likely.  I've had other ISA (not 3Com though)
cards get fried on less than this before.

(2) My guess is that the ftp installation failure is related to this,
which would point towards a physical problem.  Try replacing the network
cable, try yanking the card and putting it in another ISA slot, try
removing any other hardware that the machine doesn't absolutely need
(i.e., everything except the video card and the keyboard connector), see
if you can grab a known working 3C509 to swap with your existing one.

(3) Try forcing the media type (10baseT, AUI, coax) by passing the
appropriate parameter to the driver.  Even if your card only has one
physical connection, the driver & chipset on the card are built to handle
all three types.

Or get a new motherboard and NIC as a last resort. :)

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by Dave » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: Brainstorms (since I have no real idea what's happening with this :) --

: (1) Is your ISA bus overclocked beyond 8.33MHz?  Are there any other
: possible configurable physical causes of this problem?  It seems odd that
: a mechanical/electrical problem would creep up only after a software
: upgrade, but if you had to reboot and hadn't done so in a long while, it
: becomes (slightly) more likely.  I've had other ISA (not 3Com though)
: cards get fried on less than this before.

 AFAIK its not overclocked.  The wierd part is, is I'm using RH5.1 on the
same machine and its working fine.

 Someone else suggested it could be an IRQ problem.

 Additionally, I think the RH6.0 driver is loaded as a module while my RH5.1
system has the driver built into the kernel. I also didn't specify anything
for the sound card in RH6.0 where in the RH5.1 setup I had used iaspnp
tools for the SBpnp sound card.

 I'll try removing the Pnp Sound card as you suggested (remove anything not
needed) and see if the sound card could be the problem.
<<>>

 Thanks for the tips. :-)

: Or get a new motherboard and NIC as a last resort. :)

 Can't do that, short on cash. :)

1. Ping stops after 10-20 pings on ethernet interface

Hello,

Is there anyone who could give me a hint on why pinging stops after
approx. 15 successful ping attempts?

Pinging proceeds if I sent ping into the interface from an other PC.

My ethernet is a 10/100 MBPS interface. Could that be of any concern?

Hope for some answers...

Bengt To

2. SuSE /etc/shells BUG?

3. 10.0.0.1 ping 10.0.5.1

4. kernel hands with thread

5. 3C509 RH7.1, lose network

6. Timeout after keyboard inactivity

7. Lost ping packets on home network with masquerading linux machine

8. Use 'echo' to display message on current line

9. FS: 10/100 4 port switch and 4 10/100 Network Adapters

10. s390 (10/10): network device drivers.

11. L 10 10 10 10...

12. 3c509 & Intel EtherExpress Pro 10

13. Error: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-3 in config 2 3c509 cards