Linksys NIC with RedHat 7.2 (again)

Post by Chri » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:02:09

I have tried everything that you guys have suggested I do to get my
NIC to work, but it just won't work. I checked that alias eth0 tulip
was in modules.conf, I have checked lsmod, and the card wan't running,
so I did ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102 up and lsmod said it was up but I
couldn't connect to the net. I have set all of the settings to do a
dhcp on start up and done /sbin/service network restart. Nothing has
worked so far, can you guys give me some more help. Thanks again.

Linksys NIC with RedHat 7.2 (again)

Post by Silviu Minu » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:03:09

1) if

ifconfig

says eth0 (or what have you) is up, then it's up.

2) To connect to the internet, you can't use 192.168.x.x. That is a
private address, intended to be used only for a lan.
You need to masquarade that (using ipchains/iptables on another computer,
or router).

3) To use this computer to connect, the IP address must be set to the
address you get from your ISP. If you have windows, boot windows, run
winipcfg and see what address you've been given. Then you can configure
your eth0 interface with the correct address. To connect to the outer
world you need

a) a valid ip address
b) correctly configured routing table (gateway, hosts) - otherwise your
computer doesn't know where to send the packets
c) dns (/etc/resolv.conf)

> I have tried everything that you guys have suggested I do to get my
> NIC to work, but it just won't work. I checked that alias eth0 tulip
> was in modules.conf, I have checked lsmod, and the card wan't running,
> so I did ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102 up and lsmod said it was up but I
> couldn't connect to the net. I have set all of the settings to do a
> dhcp on start up and done /sbin/service network restart. Nothing has
> worked so far, can you guys give me some more help. Thanks again.

Linksys NIC with RedHat 7.2 (again)

Post by Chri » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:21:59

I am connected through a Linksys Cable/DSL Router, so I used that IP
Address because it is the next avaliabe one.

> 1) if

> ifconfig

> says eth0 (or what have you) is up, then it's up.

> 2) To connect to the internet, you can't use 192.168.x.x. That is a
> private address, intended to be used only for a lan.
> You need to masquarade that (using ipchains/iptables on another computer,
> or router).

> 3) To use this computer to connect, the IP address must be set to the
> address you get from your ISP. If you have windows, boot windows, run
> winipcfg and see what address you've been given. Then you can configure
> your eth0 interface with the correct address. To connect to the outer
> world you need

> a) a valid ip address
> b) correctly configured routing table (gateway, hosts) - otherwise your
> computer doesn't know where to send the packets
> c) dns (/etc/resolv.conf)

> > I have tried everything that you guys have suggested I do to get my
> > NIC to work, but it just won't work. I checked that alias eth0 tulip
> > was in modules.conf, I have checked lsmod, and the card wan't running,
> > so I did ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102 up and lsmod said it was up but I
> > couldn't connect to the net. I have set all of the settings to do a
> > dhcp on start up and done /sbin/service network restart. Nothing has
> > worked so far, can you guys give me some more help. Thanks again.

Linksys NIC with RedHat 7.2 (again)

Post by Matt N » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:30:19

Quote:> I am connected through a Linksys Cable/DSL Router, so I used that IP
> Address because it is the next avaliabe one.

Sounds like my setup. I think I have an idea what's going wrong.

Quote:>> > running, so I did ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.102 up and lsmod said it
>> > was up but I couldn't connect to the net. I have set all of the

How do you define net? Can you ping outside servers? Internal computers?
i.e. computers with addresses 192.168.1.x?

Quote:>> > settings to do a dhcp on start up and done /sbin/service network

You don't need this considering that you are using a static address. The
router is the one that's set for dhcp.

I would say check your internet settings. Assuming the router is
192.168.1.1, set your gateway to 192.168.1.1 and your DNS servers to the
same ones that the router uses.

Linksys NIC with RedHat 7.2 (again)

Post by Chri » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:26:31

Ok I got help with it, the /etc/sysconfig/network file wasn't there so
I couldn't do much. I had to run netconfig to get it running. Thanks
for the help.

> > I am connected through a Linksys Cable/DSL Router, so I used that IP
> > Address because it is the next avaliabe one.

> Sounds like my setup. I think I have an idea what's going wrong.

> How do you define net? Can you ping outside servers? Internal computers?
> i.e. computers with addresses 192.168.1.x?

> You don't need this considering that you are using a static address. The
> router is the one that's set for dhcp.

> I would say check your internet settings. Assuming the router is
> 192.168.1.1, set your gateway to 192.168.1.1 and your DNS servers to the
> same ones that the router uses.

1. Linksys NIC with RedHat 7.2

Hi, I am very new to Linux. I really like it so far, its not as user
friendly as Windows, but its a million times more stable. Anyways, I
just recently purchased a Linksys LNE100TX network card and am trying
to install it in my Linux box. I can get it installed, but the
computer won't access it with any of the IRQs I tell it to try (all of
the open ones). If it helps I use linuxconf to do all of this. So far
everything I do seems to work accept this, Linux sees the card and
installs it as its booting up. Any information you can give will be
greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

2. Retrieve function definition in bash

3. RedHat 7.2 Linksys WPC11

4. 4.3-STABLE: problems with Lucent wireless module

5. Support for Linksys PCMPC200 Ethernet PC Card on RedHat 7.2?

6. broken glibc under RH5.0

7. 3Com or Linksys WIFI card with Redhat 7.2???

8. DVD-burners that work with Solaris 9??

9. AC'97 sound under RedHat 7.2 - again...

10. Forcing NIC to 100mb FULL in Redhat Linux 7.2

11. Integrated NIC not recognized by RedHat 7.2

12. RedHat 7.2 doesn't like my NIC's

13. Install Linux Redhat 7.2 with 3 NIC