General Linux Questions

Post by Matthew van de Werke » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Firstly, forgive me for the non-specific subject, but that is indeed the
content of this broadcast.

I currently have an old 486 w/32MB RAM running Win95 (No flames
please!).
Very shortly, I will be buying a new computer on which to do my
development work (running Win98 - again, no flames please!).  This will
free up the 486 to run Linux for a bit of fun, to run SPICE, and to run
Gnu C++.  OK, here is what I intend to do, and for this I expect to be
flamed, or at least set straight.

I intend to create a mini-network of two computers, the old and the new
(the good, the bad, and the ugly operator, perhaps?)

I would like to run Windows 98 on the new computer, with dual monitors,
using the old monitor from the 486 and the monitor supplied with the new
computer (one for debugging).  I have a very old 8-bit hercules card and
mono monitor which I'd like to run on the 486, purely for booting etc.
Is this a good idea?

I would like to use the new computer (Pentium-class) to telnet (or xterm
or whatever) into the 486 to run any linux apps I'd like to.
Is this a good idea?

Further questions:
(a) I have a 3.2 GB disk in the 486, that currently I can only see 2.1GB
of.  will linux cure this as the Large-Disk HOWTO suggests?
(b) Does SPICE come with the Red Hat distribution?

Thanks for your time,
Matt van de Werken

General Linux Questions

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> I currently have an old 486 w/32MB RAM running Win95 (No flames
> please!).
> Very shortly, I will be buying a new computer on which to do my
> development work (running Win98 - again, no flames please!).  This will
> free up the 486 to run Linux for a bit of fun, to run SPICE, and to run
> Gnu C++.  OK, here is what I intend to do, and for this I expect to be
> flamed, or at least set straight.

> I intend to create a mini-network of two computers, the old and the new
> (the good, the bad, and the ugly operator, perhaps?)

Sounds fine; plenty of people have done this.  You can even share printers
and disk space.

Quote:> I would like to run Windows 98 on the new computer, with dual monitors,
> using the old monitor from the 486 and the monitor supplied with the new
> computer (one for debugging).  I have a very old 8-bit hercules card and
> mono monitor which I'd like to run on the 486, purely for booting etc.
> Is this a good idea?

It SHOULD work.  Whether it's a good idea or not is another matter.  I
doubt if you'd be able to run X on the 486 this way, except by using the
Pentium machine as an X terminal.

Quote:> I would like to use the new computer (Pentium-class) to telnet (or xterm
> or whatever) into the 486 to run any linux apps I'd like to.
> Is this a good idea?

Again, it'll work.  To run X-based applications, though, you'd need to run
an X server on your Pentium machine.  AFAIK, there's only one freely
redistributable X server for Windows.  It's called MiX, and I'm afraid I
don't have a URL offhand; try a web search.  It's not open source, but it
is free.  I've been underwhelmed by it.  Another possibility is a program
called VNC (again, I've no URL offhand; try a web search).  This one isn't
Unix-specific -- you can control a Windows box remotely with it, in
addition to controlling a Unix box remotely.  I don't know offhand if it
would work when you're not actually running X on the Linux box, though.

Quote:> Further questions:
> (a) I have a 3.2 GB disk in the 486, that currently I can only see 2.1GB
> of.  will linux cure this as the Large-Disk HOWTO suggests?

It might.  It depends on what's causing the problem with seeing only
2.1GB.  If the manufacturer exaggerated the size of the disk, for
instance, NOTHING will help.  If it's a Windows and/or BIOS limitation,
Linux will be able to see more disk space, but you won't be able to boot
from an area above 2.1GB (or maybe even 504MB).  This isn't an actual
problem; it just requires some planning.  Specifically, you'd want to
make your boot partition (typically "/" [root], but possibly "/boot")
fall below whatever the BIOS limit is, and use the space above that for
data or programs (e.g., "/usr", "/home", etc.).  Speaking of partitions,
though, I'd recommend keeping their number to a minimum, at least until
you're familiar with Linux.  The Red Hat manual is one source that
recommends creating several partitions, but IMHO this is a Bad Idea for
newbies, since you'll have no good idea of how large to make these
partitions until you're familiar with Linux and how YOU use it -- nobody
else's experience counts here, since useage patterns differ so much from
person to person.  In theory, multiple partitions can make disaster
recovery easier, but you'll be more likely to encounter a minor "disaster"
in the form of an out-of-disk-space error if you create too many
partitions.  If you can boot from within the first 2.1GB of that 3.2GB
disk, one good split would be to put /home in the upper ~1.1GB (or
possibly a bit more, if you expect to work with big data files) and devote
the rest to / (root), sans a swap partition that I'd put between the two.
Just be sure that all of / (root) goes in the area that's bootable.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. General Linux Question(s)

OK, obviously, I'm very new to Linux and the answer I recieve will effect
how I go about installing Linux-

Can I install Linux on a 4gb hdd in a 533 Celeron PC and then simply move
the hdd to a different PC (different mobo, cpu, chipset, sound card, video
card, etc... possibly even monitor) when I feel like it?

I have a feeling the answer to that is 'no' due to the kernel being
optimized for the pc linus was installed on.

My second question is- What steps would someone have to go through to switch
the hdd to another pc?  Would I have to recompile the kernel, rerun setup
and have it redetect everything?

Thanks alot for your help guys.  A little background as to why I'm asking-
I sell/upgrade PCs to make extra money for college (not too many at a time,
but about 2/month) and sometimes I have 600mhz Athlons sitting around for a
while while I either find a buyer or wait for them to be able to put up
enough cash for me to let them have the PC (selling to other poor college
kids).  I'd put the 4gb hdd I'm wanting to put Linux on in my 700 Athlon I'm
on right now, but I use SyGate to share my cable connection and I'd have to
make sure I can also share internet on my Linux hdd before I can dual boot.
I'm wanting to set up a SmoothWall (a Linux firewall/hopefully ic sharing)
box and that should help, too.  Thanks in advance.

Michael Kennedy
(AlphaK7)

2. missing .h files

3. General linux questions

4. Can I do PPP over Ethernet?

5. General Linux Question(s)

6. Netscape 4.7 woes...

7. General Linux Questions/Problems

8. Port availability under linux

9. General Linux Question

10. RH6.0 & General Linux Question

11. General Linux Question

12. General Linux question

13. general linux question re: swap partitions