Whoops, I didn't want to do that.

Whoops, I didn't want to do that.

Post by Pete » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00



Does anyone have any suggestions, as I've trashed my file system. I have
a back up, sort of.

Before trying to upgrade X to ver 3.3.1 I decided to back up my Linux
partition to my dos disk.

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/dos/temp/999.img

As I messed up my upgrade badly I decided to use this backup.

From linux

dd if=/mnt/dos/temp/999.img of=/dev/hda3 #Don't try this at home kids,
see below.

Unfortunatley this seemed to be a mistake. It seemed to take too long
causing me to presume that I was stuck in a loop, I therefore Ctrl C 'ed
it. 20/20 hindsite is a wonderfull thing, I should have left it a couple
of ours before doing this.

Unfortunetly the first partition if FAT32, so I cannot use my Redhat
install disks as they don't have FAT32 support in the kernel.

I have a copy of the kernel on the first partition as well.

I have not had muck luck with boot disks, using them with loadlin, and
my kernel, they have not found a console (?).

rawrite.exe can only write to a: and b: drives.

I did think of using FIPS to create a new partition at the end of my
first one and put a small linux system on it with my kernel, but that
would turn /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda4 screwing it up worse.

Any suggestions, I dont fancy re-installing as it took me a while to get
things going properly.
--
Peter

 
 
 

Whoops, I didn't want to do that.

Post by Andrew Cos » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00


On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 22:38:16 +0100,


>dd if=/mnt/dos/temp/999.img of=/dev/hda3 #Don't try this at home kids,
>see below.
>Unfortunatley this seemed to be a mistake. It seemed to take too long
>causing me to presume that I was stuck in a loop, I therefore Ctrl C 'ed
>it. 20/20 hindsite is a wonderfull thing, I should have left it a couple
>of ours before doing this.

Errm.  You did this running from /dev/hda3?
That could have been the problem, the system got confused by having
its root partition changed under it.

Quote:>Unfortunetly the first partition if FAT32, so I cannot use my Redhat
>install disks as they don't have FAT32 support in the kernel.
>I have a copy of the kernel on the first partition as well.
>I have not had muck luck with boot disks, using them with loadlin, and
>my kernel, they have not found a console (?).
>rawrite.exe can only write to a: and b: drives.
>I did think of using FIPS to create a new partition at the end of my
>first one and put a small linux system on it with my kernel, but that
>would turn /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda4 screwing it up worse.
>Any suggestions, I dont fancy re-installing as it took me a while to get
>things going properly.

Copy your normal kernel to a floppy with rawrite.
Then install a bare-bones system on /dev/hda3.

Stick your kernel floppy in /dev/fd0 and

  rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda3

Reboot from the floppy.
You're in and can read FAT32 again.

Copy the kernel from the dos partition and rerun lilo.

Boot yet again.  Get the lilo prompt, and

  boot: linux ro

Now, mount the dos partition with -n so it doesn't try
to write to /etc/mtab on the readonly filesystem.

Unmount /mnt/dos and try your restoration again.
If dd fails or freaks out, try cat.

You'll have to boot once more from floppy to run lilo again.

It might just work...

 
 
 

Whoops, I didn't want to do that.

Post by Andreas Dietri » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00



>Does anyone have any suggestions, as I've trashed my file system. I have
>a back up, sort of.

>Before trying to upgrade X to ver 3.3.1 I decided to back up my Linux
>partition to my dos disk.

>dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/dos/temp/999.img

>As I messed up my upgrade badly I decided to use this backup.

>From linux

>dd if=/mnt/dos/temp/999.img of=/dev/hda3 #Don't try this at home kids,
>see below.

>Unfortunatley this seemed to be a mistake. It seemed to take too long
>causing me to presume that I was stuck in a loop, I therefore Ctrl C 'ed
>it. 20/20 hindsite is a wonderfull thing, I should have left it a couple
>of ours before doing this.

>Unfortunetly the first partition if FAT32, so I cannot use my Redhat
>install disks as they don't have FAT32 support in the kernel.

>I have a copy of the kernel on the first partition as well.

>I have not had muck luck with boot disks, using them with loadlin, and
>my kernel, they have not found a console (?).

>rawrite.exe can only write to a: and b: drives.

>I did think of using FIPS to create a new partition at the end of my
>first one and put a small linux system on it with my kernel, but that
>would turn /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda4 screwing it up worse.

>Any suggestions, I dont fancy re-installing as it took me a while to get
>things going properly.

You have a working kernel (with FAT32)? Can you boot it? If yes, all you
need is a floppy with a root fs on it (try your old bootdisk; if this fails,
get a root.img from some Slackware mirror: use rawrite!). Then boot your
working kernel with "root=/dev/fd0"; pray, you didn't modularise the
floppy-driver.
[ The message "no console found" is probably caused by the attempt to use your
old (trashed) /dev/hda3 as root fs. ]
Then mount your FAT32 partition with your backup and dd it back.

Andreas
--
We're all looking for a woman who can sit in a mini-skirt and talk
philosophy, executing both with confidence and style.