Not able to add new partitions for Rh6.1 install

Not able to add new partitions for Rh6.1 install

Post by mike » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
    I recently added a second drive to a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
It now has: 1. 10GB IBM Primary Master with Win98
                   2. 15GB IBM Primary Slave. with 9648Mb FAT32.
    Drive 2 has 4997Mb unallocated space.

    I want to use 3000mb for Redhat 6.1. I started the 6.1 cd by setting
the
bios to boot on the cd. The Redhat install came up and I chose custom
installation. I have tried to add partitions using the add button but,
it keeps rejecting the partitions that I want to add. I tried to add
a 16mb /boot partition and it said too big. It did allow me to add
a 256mb <swap> partition, but I can't add other partitions. What ever
I try to add, it says "partition too big". I was initially planning to
use
a boot floppy so I assume that the 1024 cylinder limit wouldn't come
into play under those conditions. I believe that the program in the
install
that does the partitioning is Disk Druid. Could it be that there is a
bug
in it? I am at a loss at what to do at this point.

Thanks

Mike

Post by jef » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:46:06

>Hi,
>    I recently added a second drive to a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
>It now has: 1. 10GB IBM Primary Master with Win98
>                   2. 15GB IBM Primary Slave. with 9648Mb FAT32.
>    Drive 2 has 4997Mb unallocated space.

>    I want to use 3000mb for Redhat 6.1. I started the 6.1 cd by setting
>the
>bios to boot on the cd. The Redhat install came up and I chose custom
>installation. I have tried to add partitions using the add button but,
>it keeps rejecting the partitions that I want to add. I tried to add
>a 16mb /boot partition and it said too big. It did allow me to add
>a 256mb <swap> partition, but I can't add other partitions. What ever
>I try to add, it says "partition too big". I was initially planning to
>use
>a boot floppy so I assume that the 1024 cylinder limit wouldn't come
>into play under those conditions. I believe that the program in the
>install
>that does the partitioning is Disk Druid. Could it be that there is a
>bug
>in it? I am at a loss at what to do at this point.

I don't use RH, but I assume that Disk Druid is just trying to keep you out
of trouble by ensuring that the entire boot partition is within the 1024 cyl
limit.  Does RH installer give you the option to use fdisk?  If not, you can
pre-allocate the partition (with a linux floppy, or Partition Magic, or
something similar) and maybe RH will accept it.

-jeff

Post by Garry Knigh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi,
>    I recently added a second drive to a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
>It now has: 1. 10GB IBM Primary Master with Win98
>                   2. 15GB IBM Primary Slave. with 9648Mb FAT32.
>    Drive 2 has 4997Mb unallocated space.

>    I want to use 3000mb for Redhat 6.1. I started the 6.1 cd by setting
>the
>bios to boot on the cd. The Redhat install came up and I chose custom
>installation. I have tried to add partitions using the add button but,
>it keeps rejecting the partitions that I want to add. I tried to add
>a 16mb /boot partition and it said too big. It did allow me to add
>a 256mb <swap> partition, but I can't add other partitions. What ever
>I try to add, it says "partition too big".

Did you run ScanDisk and Defrag on the second drive? If there are Windows files
scattered across the cylinders you want for your partition, it's possible that
Redhat will detect this and limit the size of the partition you can set up.

--
Garry Knight

Post by Jonatha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Hi,
> >    I recently added a second drive to a Dell Dimension XPS R400.
> >It now has: 1. 10GB IBM Primary Master with Win98
> >                   2. 15GB IBM Primary Slave. with 9648Mb FAT32.
> >    Drive 2 has 4997Mb unallocated space.

> >    I want to use 3000mb for Redhat 6.1. I started the 6.1 cd by
setting
> >the
> >bios to boot on the cd. The Redhat install came up and I chose custom
> >installation. I have tried to add partitions using the add button
but,
> >it keeps rejecting the partitions that I want to add. I tried to add
> >a 16mb /boot partition and it said too big. It did allow me to add
> >a 256mb <swap> partition, but I can't add other partitions. What ever
> >I try to add, it says "partition too big". I was initially planning
> >use
> >a boot floppy so I assume that the 1024 cylinder limit wouldn't come
> >into play under those conditions. I believe that the program in the
> >install
> >that does the partitioning is Disk Druid. Could it be that there is a
> >bug
> >in it? I am at a loss at what to do at this point.

> I don't use RH, but I assume that Disk Druid is just trying to keep
you out
> of trouble by ensuring that the entire boot partition is within the
1024 cyl
> limit.
> Does RH installer give you the option to use fdisk?  If not,
you can
> pre-allocate the partition (with a linux floppy, or Partition Magic,
or
> something similar) and maybe RH will accept it.

> -jeff

RH does allow you to use fdisk, but I like your second suggestion
better.  Using a third party partitioning utility and setting the mount
points with disk druid is usually my method of choice.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Not able to add Linux Partitions to New HD

[...]

2. trouble with redhat 4.1 installation

3. Can I add new partition to install OSX ??

4. Linux Users Group Online

5. tar xvf not working on new RH6.1 install

6. Problems with malloc

7. New man in the Linux world has a partitioning problem: adding Linux as a fourth partition

8. AI-Scheduling

9. How to create a user account that's su-able but not login-able?

10. New installed programs not added to menu

11. /dev/hdb - not able to write partition table

12. not able to write partition table

13. Not able to get LILO to work on logical Linux partition