Post by Arthur F. Tyde I » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

The San Francisco Linux Users group will hold it's first meeting on Tuesday
July 16th in the upstairs banquet room of the

                       FOUR SEAS RESTAURANT
                           731 Grant Ave.
                       San Francisco, CA 94102
              In the heart of San Francisco's Chinatown

          (please forward this notice to interested friends)

The Four Seas will be serving us an excellent buffet dinner at 7:00, cash bar
available.  The dinner will cost $10.00 per per person with the meeting
starting around 7:30.  If you are not interested in dinner, we ask a small
donation to help cover misc. room expenses.   RSVP! RSVP! RSVP!

Please RSVP as soon as possible, no later than July 9th!
The excellent people at Craftwork Solutions, Inc. in San Jose have donated two
copies of their outstanding commercial Linux distribution w/30 days of
Technical Support to be given as door prizes!  Check it out by surfing
over to...   http://www.craftwork.com/products/csprod.html

The first meeting will be an introductory session, that we may meet
each other and set a direction for future meetings.  Topics covered will be

Where to meet?  Is the banquet (dinner) meeting a good idea?
Speakers- what topics should we cover and whom should we try to get?
WWW presence... who should host and maintain it?
Voulenteers?
Obtaining user group discounts on Linux soft/hardware products and services...
Building a user expert list- for example "Bob knows more about XFree86
than his own anatomy, and is willing to field X related questions." etc.

It'll be a really good time- and an excellent opportunity to meet other
Linux enthusiasts.  As mentioned above- please forward this announcement to
anyone you think may be interested.  The most excellent China Room at the
Four Seas will seat up to 480 guests- as our mailing list is currently
about 80 users, we have plenty of room for friends.

1. SF Bay Area Linux Users Group - Meeting Aug 20 1997

RSVP for the Wednesday August 20th meeting of the Bay Area Linux Users Group!
We are fortunate and honored to present RED HAT SOFTWARE this month!

To be held in the vast upstairs banquet room of the venerable

Four Seas Restaurant
731 Grant St.  (in the heart of Chinatown)
San Francisco, CA 94108
Wednesday 8/20/1997

Dinner & social hour at 7:00 PM, meeting starts afterward.  Bring all
your Linux Enabled friends!

Red Hat Software will be visiting, represented by Mark Ewing and Lisa
Sullivan, out from North Carolina.  Mark Ewing will speak on a number of
Linux topics and be available for questions.  Lisa Sullivan made generous
mention of those two fab words "door prizes," so be extra nice to Lisa!
As usual, dinner at 7:00 PM and the meeting follows.  RSVP to

PM, we ask that everyone make that extra effort to please arrive prior to
7:00 PM.  The meeting is held in the banquet room, which is at the back
of the Bar and up the stairs.

The Four Seas is preparing a fantastic family style repast for us.  As
usual, I am sure they will outdo themselves maintaining their reputation
as one of Chinatowns finest restaurants.  With enough RSVP power we can
get the upstairs bar opened- so, tell all your Linux enabled friends
about the meeting!  As usual the main bar is open, and libation is available!

I would propose the following schedule for this months meeting.

7:00 PM to 8:00 PM Dinner ($10.00 per person - a fantastic deal!)
8:00 PM to 8:30 PM Special annoucements and potential overlap from dinner!
8:30 PM to 9:30 PM Speakers and other special guests, features, etc.
9:30 PM to 9:45 PM Door prizes, parting annoucements, etc.

Last months meeting was a resounding success.  We would like to thank
Bruce Perins, project leader for the Debian distribution for a great
talk.  Also, the fine folks from Knox Software, Dr. Dobbs Journal and
Yggdrasil who all donated great conversation (and a few super door
prizes) to the evenings festivities.  Attendance was great- and a good
time was had by all!  We very much enjoyed the presence of these great
people and hope they will continue to join us.

If you require a special meal (such as vegetarian or Kosher), or won't be
having dinner,  please mention it in your RSVP and identify yourself to
me at the meeting.  Parking is available in the area- though we recommend
the public garage at Kearny and Commercial directly across from the
Chinatown Holiday Inn.  It's convenient and cheap.

Subscribe to our Mailing List!

David Sifry Consulting has done an excellent job of maintaining out
mailing list.  To subscribe to the mailing list send email to

your message.

seeing you on August 20th, 1997.

2. partition problem after instal

3. LNE100tx Linksys

5. LINUX logo

6. (event 4/9) SF Bay Area FreeBSD User's Group

7. Q:Problem with mtools

11. Need local system builder who will build EXACTLY to-spec (SF Bay Area)

12. System Administrators / Service Engineers wanted at Yahoo! (in SF bay area or LA area)