What's The best Firewall/Proxy Software

Post by Pat Duczyminsk » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I was wondering what is the best (free of course) firewall/proxy software to
use on Mandrake to connect 3 other computers (Win98 machines) on my personal
LAN.  I uesd Wingate when I was running Win98 but I want to go totally
Linux.  A good GUI would be nice, but command line wouldn't be a problem
with good Docs.  Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Robin Smit » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I was wondering what is the best (free of course) firewall/proxy software to
> use on Mandrake to connect 3 other computers (Win98 machines) on my personal
> LAN.  I uesd Wingate when I was running Win98 but I want to go totally
> Linux.  A good GUI would be nice, but command line wouldn't be a problem
> with good Docs.  Any help would be appreciated.

Things are never free, they may not cost you money but you still have
to spend your time learning, implementing and managing them :-)

N.B. I have read articles on firewalls under linux but never managed them.

This months ( September 1999 ) PC Plus magazine has an article about
setting up firewalls, try their web site. Basically IPCHAINs is built
into the kernel ( 2.2.* ) so you just need to configure it. I also read on
http://www.freshmeat.net that there is a graphical utility for the KDE
desktop called something like kfirewall that allows you to setup the
firewall rules by the GUI.

Hope this helps a little.

Robin

1. Redhat5.0's proxy server and firewall proxy

Has anyone played with RH5.0 proxy server and firewall proxy.  They are
2 separate programs, right?  How to you set it up? Is it the same thing
as the ip masquerading that I have read about?  It appears from the man
pages, you have to be in X windows to run either. It also seems the
proxying and firewall will not work in a multi os network. I'll probably
have to run something like socks. Right?

Melvin

2. sendmail and Mirosoft SMTP gateway ??

3. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

4. (Q) Ordering mail in KMail folders

5. Best freeware firewall/proxy for RedHat linux?

6. cvd/F90 'allocate' problen

7. Where to get the best PROXY software for Linux

8. IPsec: selection of correct SA - again

9. How to browse internt thru' LAN's MS proxy server (also serving as firewall)

10. What's the best linux software for cloning audio CD's?

11. Firewall / NAT / proxy Software

12. _ Internet Firewall/Proxy Software

13. Is there some good proxy software for gatekeeper or firewall.