Login message lost...

Post by Relax.i » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:34:18

Hi all,

Usually, when I login to a RedHat box, locally or remotely,there comes out a
message like "Last login: Sun Jun 29 14:57:58 2003 from *.*.*.*". But these
days I found some of our RedHat 7.2 servers lost this message. When I login

root]# ".
I guess maybe some configuration file was modified. Please help me out.
Any help will be appreciated.

relax

Login message lost...

Post by Bill Marcu » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:06:58

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:34:18 +0800, Relax.it

> Hi all,

> Usually, when I login to a RedHat box, locally or remotely,there comes out a
> message like "Last login: Sun Jun 29 14:57:58 2003 from *.*.*.*". But these
> days I found some of our RedHat 7.2 servers lost this message. When I login

> root]# ".
> I guess maybe some configuration file was modified. Please help me out.
> Any help will be appreciated.

Try /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile
Does the "last" command work?

--
It is often the case that the man who can't tell a lie thinks he is the best
judge of one.

1. Pre-Login and Login Messages?

I know that the /etc/motd file can be used to show a message after someone
logs in, but what file has the information that shows at the login
prompt? I'd like to add a message for people to see before they actually
enter their login name and password.

After the motd file is displayed, two lines show when the last
unsuccessful login was and the last successful login. Which file contains
this information?

Finally, I know it's a simple line to add, but what could be added to the
end of the motd message to keep it from scrolling off the screen without
stopping?  Something that would require the user to hit return after
(hopefully) reading the message?

Thanks for any information.

Mike

--
-------------------
Hillsboro, Oregon

2. Stupid question about the output of show_task()

3. Solaris 2.4 Serial Ports - I get login message, but can't login

4. x86: half a disk

5. LOST LOST LOST

6. network farts

7. lost messages

8. HELP! Is there any comparable utility like 'sndconfig' in Linux????

9. disabling ide interface on my sb16pnp : conflict with integrated IDE : kernel message : lost interrupt

10. Apache Error Message :Lost Connection

11. installation of RH6.1 freezes with lost interrupt message

12. POP server loses messages but they're still there