Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

Post by antino.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

When i start a shell under X, i can type all characters on my keyboard,
the same when i start the simple editor, but when i start Forte (Java
IDE) written in Java i cant use the "(", ")", "{", "}" and allmost none
of the characters that are located on the same key as a number...

Does anybody have an idea what i can do about that... could it be
something with programs written in Java..?

Mvg,
Erwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

Post by David_ » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> When i start a shell under X, i can type all characters on my
> keyboard, the same when i start the simple editor, but when i start
> Forte (Java IDE) written in Java i cant use the "(", ")", "{", "}" and
> allmost none of the characters that are located on the same key as a
> number...

> Does anybody have an idea what i can do about that... could it be
> something with programs written in Java..?

I can't tell from your message headers, but I'd guess that you are using
a French-layout keyboard - where you must use SHIFT to type a number,
and the symbols are un-shifted.

These kinds of keyboards present problems for a lot of applications.
Many applications expect the SHIFT key to be depressed in order to
recognize symbols.

File a bug report with Forte.  Be sure to mention what kind of keyboard
you have, and exactly how you have X configured to use this keyboard.
(They won't be able to fix the problem if they can't reproduce it.)

-- David