A good GUI text editer for Linux?

Post by Lamar Thoma » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:51:06

Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.  I
would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
"TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

Lamar

Post by Tony Curti » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:53:12

>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:51:06 GMT,

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like
> "TextPad" for Windows.  I would like to start to learn
> Java on the Linux box but I really like "TextPad".  Any
> ideas?  Thanks for any help.

Try http://www.freshmeat.net/ and search for "editor".

More matches than Swan Vesta.

hth
Yes way!  Mmmmkay?

Post by Hal Burgi » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:33:37

>Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for
>Windows.  I would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I
>really like "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

Don't know that one, but doubt it holds a candle to vim. vim -g for GUI
mode.

--
Hal B

--

A good GUI text editer for Linux?

Post by Dave Robbin » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:39:01

<flame war>
why dont you use xemacs?
</flame war>

--
          a8888b.
         d888888b.

         8`._,' Y8.
        d/      `8b.
       dP   .    Y8b.
      d8:'  "  `::88b
     d8"         'Y88b
    :8P    '      :888
     88888a:     _a88P
   ._/"Yaa_:   .| 88P|
   \    YP"    `| 8P  `.
   /     \.___.d|    .'
  `--..___)8888P`._.'

-------------

Tech Support Scenario:

Customer: Im running windows...
Tech: Yes...
Customer: My computer isnt working now...
Tech: Yes, you said that

-------------

Dave Robbins

Post by Hugh Spark » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:13:20

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.
> I would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
> "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

I think you'd like NEdit. It features syntax highlighting for popular
programming languages and uses Windows control key conventions:

        http://nedit.org

-H. Sparks

A good GUI text editer for Linux?

EMACS

Post by Matthew van de Werke » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:57:09

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.
> I would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
> "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

Personally, I like vi and (even better) vim. But coming from Windows you'd
more likely be used to something more like nedit, which is shipped with
most major distro's.

Cheers,
MvdW

Post by Carlos Moren » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:31:59

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.  I
> would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
> "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

How about kwrite?  If you installed KDE you should have it
(even if you are running GNOME, it should be available under
"KDE Menus").

I personally like it -- it has syntax highlight, auto-indent,
bracket matching, block indent and unindent, etc.  The only
drawback is that it's not MDI-like...  You have to open
several instances if you want to edit several files at the
same time  (which ends up becoming a pain, since the settings
and the recently used files are overwritten by the last
instance you close).  Overall, worth giving it a try...

Carlos
--

Nedit (free from http://www.nedit.org) has been an excellent package for me.
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

A good GUI text editer for Linux?

Post by Dichotimus Gro » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:29:26

Definately xemacs.  emacs rocks!

http://www.xemacs.org/

G00d 1uck!

Quote:> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.

Post by mike » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:11:32

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.
> I would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
> "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

KATE under KDE 2.2 its pretty damn cool.  Actually, I am using it for an
intro java class at the UofA.  They recomend textpad under windows, but
aside from lacking the ability to compile and run the code from within
KATE, it seems to do all the things textpad does.  Of course you could
always download forte from Sun.  I the community version is free, and that
is a pretty serious development enviroment.

Post by c.. » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:19:09

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.  I
> would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
> "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

> Lamar

People are giving various recommendations.  The two 'standard' editors
are emacs and vi (which comes in various clones, vim seems to be the
most popular).  These are the oldest (well, not really, but the ones
that are older like ed were so cumbersome that now their only used
for specialized tasks, like editing in a script).  They come from the
unix world, from the days before X-windows and guis, though emacs, and
its more X-oriented sibling xemacs, do have some gui like capabilities.
I worked as a programmer in unix in the 80s and 90s and nearly everybody
used vi.  So, if you ever find yourself on a strange unix like system
and you need to do some editing, vi is the editor most likely to be
there.  It's stable, fairly lightweight, well-documented, and a lot of
people know it.  I'd recommend that if you're only going to learn one
editor, learn that, or learn that first, not all of it, but the basics.
Then go and learn something else.

--
Replace ragwind.localdomain with rahul for a working email address

A good GUI text editer for Linux?

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:24:39

If you are serious about using one editor, getting used to it and later
being surprised by its power to grow with your needs, definitely go for
xemacs. It subsumes all (am I right ?) the functionality of emacs. A day
of getting used to it, and you will never regret it.

As a person who has coded a good deal in the past and has to write*
documents quite often, I know how handy it is to have short keystrokes for
invoking compilers, looking at outputs etc. It even has a shell if you
fancy that.

nedit and kwrite has been suggested by some others here. kwrite is good,
but not as powerful. nedit can (at least to me) be distracting because of
a lot of mouse use.

xemacs is almost infinitely (!) customisable.

> Anyone know of a good text editor for Linux?  Like "TextPad" for Windows.  I
> would like to start to learn Java on the Linux box but I really like
> "TextPad".  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

> Lamar

A good GUI text editer for Linux?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:08:11

It's interesting how much people are able to discuss text
editors. Everytime somebody asks which text editor to use,
we will see very long threads. Threads about the actual
development are rarely that long.

--
Kasper Dupont

Post by Floyd Davidso » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:11:58

>If you are serious about using one editor, getting used to it and later
>being surprised by its power to grow with your needs, definitely go for
>xemacs. It subsumes all (am I right ?) the functionality of emacs. A day
>of getting used to it, and you will never regret it.

>As a person who has coded a good deal in the past and has to write*
>documents quite often, I know how handy it is to have short keystrokes for
>invoking compilers, looking at outputs etc. It even has a shell if you
>fancy that.

>nedit and kwrite has been suggested by some others here. kwrite is good,
>but not as powerful. nedit can (at least to me) be distracting because of
>a lot of mouse use.

>xemacs is almost infinitely (!) customisable.

What is said above is basically true, and for most people the time lag
between now and learning a really *good* editor is just a shameful waste.

But, as a long time XEmacs user, I would suggest to the OP that GNU Emacs
should also be considered, and much to the horror of all of us Emacs users,
in all honesty every new user should also give one of the vi clones a trial
too.  Vi and Emacs are opposites in several ways, and many people who
feel very comfortable with one just cannot tolerate the user interface of the
other.  Hence a new user should try both for a long enough period to get
the feel of editing with each and only then decide which fits the best.
And, of course, picking which Emacs or which vi might be a much longer
process.

But fooling around with less capable editors is a waste of effort.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.veryComputer.com/~floyd>

1. looking for a text base user interface programming editer for C

Hi all;

I hate learning new things. Espeally a bunch of keyboard commands.

In my first computer course, we had to use a word-star type
(console/text base interface) word editor (like pico). However it had
a pop-down menubar at the top of the screen, so you could navigate
this or use the keyboard short cuts. It was quite a fast small word
editor. The pop-down menubar was good because it gave you the chance
to use it, before you learned the keyboard commands. Then as you get
better, you can start using the keyboard, to speed things up a bit. I
miss it as my copy is long gone.

Anyway, is there something similar with the power of emacs or a
wrapper for emacs.

Or anyother text UI programming editor?

2. Xfree NetBSD/macppc PB2400c

3. Need good Unix text editor with GUI

4. 3com 3c905-T ethernet card and redhat linux

5. GUI->Text->GUI?

6. Ensoniq Audio PCI

7. NEdit 4.0.1 -- High Quality GUI Text Editor for Linux

8. Top 10 admin problems on Suns?

9. Linux GUI Apps Verus NT....What good is X ?

10. A good GUI for Linux

11. What is a good Linux text editor?

12. I'm searching a GOOD text editor to LINUX