Linux'95 final release

Post by Brian La » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 05:33:58

: : Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
: : "v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
: : is reality.

: : Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
: : remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.

: Not that I am glued to the Linux newsgroups (yet), but have I missed
: something terribly important, or is this a joke?

: Linux is free, right?

  No, not anymore. Linus is really Bill Gates in disguise (ILM did the
makeup job). The whole Linux project was really just a giant marketing scam
by MicroSquash to get you hooked, and then nail you with licensing
agreements.

  Time to pay up!

: What gives?

  hmmm.....

 "Everyone is a prisoner holding their own key." |      (360)569-2911
  http://www.eskimo.com/~blane/                  |   Electronics/uP files

Linux'95 final release

Post by Funky Bea » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 05:56:00

Yes, it's a joke.  Read it again.  Doesn't it sound like Linus is poking
fun at Windoze '95 (like 2095) and NT (LT) and Micro$ofts licensing deals.
Relax.

Wil

> : Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
> : "v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
> : is reality.
> <snip>
> Not that I am glued to the Linux newsgroups (yet), but have I missed
> something terribly important, or is this a joke?

> Linux is free, right?

> What gives?

> -- Mark.

Linux'95 final release

Post by Mark Ingr » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 03:38:28

: Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
: "v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
: is reality.

: Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
: remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.

: Linux'95 has several types of licenses, including, but not limited, to:
[snip]
: After having aquired the Linux'95 distribution, you will have
: automatically applied for a single-user license (the distribution
: outlets will do all the necessary paperwork for you, no need to fill in
: registration forms).  When you expand the license, the revolutionary
: "Linux'95 Auto-Licensing" software will automatically send in a expanded
: license request and deduct the licensing fee from your bank account.

Post by William Powe » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 09:13:31

: Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
: "v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
: is reality.

: Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
: remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.

: Linux'95 has several types of licenses, including, but not limited, to:

: * End-User License Agreement - Applications

: * End-User License Agreement - Systems

: * Multi-License Pak

: * Logo License

: * The "I've got too much money" License

I wish this were funny, but it's too durn near the truth.

WEP

Linux'95 final release

Post by Daniel Barl » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 11:53:43

>: Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
>: remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.

>Not that I am glued to the Linux newsgroups (yet), but have I missed
>something terribly important, or is this a joke?

No.  Yes.  Read it again, more carefully.

Quote:>Linux is free, right?

Yes.

Quote:>What gives?

Somebody's sense of humour, presumably.

Daniel
--

``Our single posting of 6,000 was a drop in a huge bucket''
                                -- Canter & Siegel, to the Tennessee Bar

Linux'95 final release

Post by DAVID L. JOHNS » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 11:41:04

Quote:>Yes, it's a joke.  Read it again.  Doesn't it sound like Linus is poking
>fun at Windoze '95 (like 2095) and NT (LT) and Micro$ofts licensing deals.

I always wondered what the `95' of Win95 referred to.

I wonder what's going to happen here on April first.

--

Lehigh University
14 E. Packer Avenue                     (610) 758-3759

Linux'95 final release

Post by Michael B. Gebhar » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 14:02:52

>: Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
>: "v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
>: is reality.

Can I buy 17,500 copies of the "I've got too much money license?".

Seriously, when I first read Linus' message in comp.os.linux.announce, I
was slightly chagrined. Then I saved it and read it carefully. I'll now
be laughing for at least a week.

Kudos to all who were involved in the 1.2 development effort. I, for one,
have found Linux to be helpful, well written, and such a useful tool in
both my professional and personal computing endeavors that I wouldn't
mind paying a few bucks for it.

I'm sure that Linus' sense of humor will go unappreciated by the masses,
but I am going to frame and distribute copies of the announcement.

Regards to all!!
Long live Linux!!!
Mike Gebhardt

Linux'95 final release

Post by Pascal A. Dupu » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 17:55:25

>Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
>"v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
>is reality.
>Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
>remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.

If all the licences could follow the same guidelines ....
A triple "Hurrah" for Linus !!!

Pascal A. Dupuis
 /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~ \

 \____________________________________________________________\_/  |
  / Pull here for the full .sig or use finger on the second adress /

Linux'95 final release

Post by Akash R. Deshpan » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 01:53:09

>>Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
>>remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.
>                    YES, THIS WAS A JOKE.

Else you could've called it Linux'84 a la Orwell :-)

-Akash
-
-
-
-

Akash Deshpande

Linux'95 final release

Post by Jiann-Ming » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 07:28:59

Quote:>Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
>"v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
>is reality.

> [licsensing stuff deleted]
>                    Linus

I swear, this guy just has too much time on his hands! ;)
--

                                http://microwave1.ph.msstate.edu/~js1
For F1 and IndyCar Picutures:   ftp://microwave1.ph.msstate.edu/pub/racing

Linux'95 final release

Post by Tim Bas » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 01:17:16

The real joke, as Linus tried to point out is Windows '95.

Great sense of humor Linus!  Except you almost gave me a heart
attack.  The major command of the USAF just purchased 50 i486
platforms running linux to save money.  Wow !! You almost
killed by career with the government.

Heading for virtual beer ............. 8*)

: >Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
: >"v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
: >is reality.
: >
: > [licsensing stuff deleted]

: >                  Linus
: >

: I swear, this guy just has too much time on his hands! ;)
: --

:                               http://microwave1.ph.msstate.edu/~js1
: For F1 and IndyCar Picutures:   ftp://microwave1.ph.msstate.edu/pub/racing

Linux'95 final release

Post by Frank Teusi » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 06:44:01

[...]

Quote:>Kudos to all who were involved in the 1.2 development effort. I, for one,
>have found Linux to be helpful, well written, and such a useful tool in
>both my professional and personal computing endeavors that I wouldn't
>mind paying a few bucks for it.

I agree. Is there any way to send money?

After all, to get people corrupted, they have to get involved in money
first. After the first free donations begin to flow in, at least one of
these moneyless philantrophs (sp? i.e. is this still a word in american/
english?) should open his/her eyes, and make a grab for the money. As it
stands now, these people are a threat to Kapitalism as we know it. Ugh.

Frank Teusink
--
Frank Teusink          CWI

tel: +31 20 592 4075   1090 GB  Amsterdam
fax  +31 20 592 4199   The Netherlands

Linux'95 final release

Post by Chuck Slivko » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:30:33

: The real joke, as Linus tried to point out is Windows '95.

: Great sense of humor Linus!  Except you almost gave me a heart
: attack.  The major command of the USAF just purchased 50 i486
                                    ^^^^
      Unites States Air Force?? ----^

: platforms running linux to save money.  Wow !! You almost
: killed by career with the government.

The US military using free software?  Now THIS sounds much more
like a joke .... (:

[snip]

--

Computer Science   Youngstown State University

http://www.ysu.edu/~casliv/

Linux'95 final release

Post by Jon Leona » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 13:36:55

In <frankt.795044...@news.cwi.nl> fra...@cwi.nl (Frank Teusink) writes:

>I agree. Is there any way to send money?

This is a copy of the original post from c.o.l.announce.  Sorry to take up all
the bandwidth by re-posting it, but I guess it's worth some extra publicity.

======

From comp.os.linux.announce Tue Nov 15 19:34:11 1994
From: Linux Intl <l...@li.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: Introducing the Linux Development Grant Fund
Date: 13 Nov 1994 15:51:55 +0200
Sender: wirze...@cc.Helsinki.FI

                  The Linux Development Grant Fund

  "Linux will remain free. Help us help Linux to become a market force"

Thousands of people use Linux, many thousands. They know it works well,
they know it is free. Linux will remain free, because:

   * the copyright says so
   * the people that develop it say so
   * companies make money from it being free

Linux International is a worldwide, non-profit organization devoted to
promoting Linux development and its growth in the marketplace. A lot of
people have asked about how to donate money or other things to Linux in
the last three years, and some have done so. We thank those who have
already contributed to Linux in this way.

Linux International is pleased to announce a way of making a formal
donation to Linux. The goal of the Linux Development Grant fund is
simply to collect and distribute money to developers to help them in
their work on Linux.

We have worked hard to get a fair way of distributing the money, and will
make sure that anyone in the world can find out what has happened to it.
Donations will be collected into a pool and used to award Linux
development grants - specific amounts of money for specific development
projects.  Anyone can make such a request.

About the Grant Fund

There are three Grant Fund board members at any one time, who have the
job of deciding where the money should go. Board members may serve no
more than one year on the board and successors will be appointed in a
democratic manner. The first board members are well-known in the Linux
community: Matt Welsh, Michael K Johnson and Ian Murdock. All the grants
that they award will be published in comp.os.linux.announce.

Anyone may submit a grant request for a specific Linux development
project.  Grant requests must meet certain conditions; for example,
grants must be used to directly fund a Linux development project
(through the purchase of hardware, or documentation for example).  Also,
the software developed by projects that have received funding must
be covered by the GNU General Public License. This will make sure that
the project benefits both the Linux community and any others who are able
to use it.

Further information on making submissions is available by sending an
email message to:

               grant-submissions-i...@li.org

The existence and operation of the Grant Fund can be verified by contacting
Ernst & Young in Australia on +619 429-2222 and requesting to speak to
Mr Laurie Cook.

Making a Donation

Simply fill in the form which accompanies this announcement!

We plan to have official Linux International donation points in many
countries, with many donation methods. At present, however, there are
just three ways to transfer money to the Grant Fund: check/cheque,
international money order, or credit card. 100% of the money donated
to the grant fund will be used to award development grants. Linux
International does not retain any portion of the funds.

People sending credit card details by email are encouraged to encrypt
their email using Linux International's public PGP key.  This is to
prevent unauthorized access to your credit card details.  Linux
International's public PGP key can be obtained by fingering

                       donati...@li.org

Donors are also encouraged to include their email address so a thank-you
note can be sent to them. (Once the donation has been processed and the
message has been sent, all personal records will be deleted.)  Linux
International also plans to periodically publish a list of donors to the
Grant Fund (the option to exclude yourself from this list is available.)

Linux International looks forward to helping improve Linux through
the Grant Fund. We expect a good response, both in funds and in comments
which will help ensure the Grant Fund serves the Linux community.

We commend the Grant Fund to all who have an interest in the bright
future of Linux.

Patrick D'Cruze
Secretary
Linux International
donation-comme...@li.org

-----

Questions, Answers and Comments

Q1. Can I still send donations to individual developers?
A.  Of course! Linux is Linux, and our best wishes to those who have a
project that they are able to support directly.

Q2. Are donations to the Grant Fund tax exempt?
A.  Not yet.  Corporate donations can usually be counted as a normal
business expense.  This will of course depend upon the tax laws of your
country.

Q3. What currency is best?
A.  The Grant Fund is pretty flexible and should be able to cope with
any currency that people care to send.  If you have a choice, US dollars,
Deutchmarks, Pounds Sterling or Australian dollars will allow us to save
money on currency conversions.

Q4. Can I send cash to the Grant Fund?
A.  No! Please don't. The chances of the money arriving are very small.
This is an unfortunate fact of life.

Q5. What if the donation gets lost in the mail?
A.  Provided you don't send cash, this shouldn't matter. While Linux
International cannot take responsibility for what happens to postal
mail or electronic mail this is just a normal risk.

Thankyou for your donation, on behalf of Linux!

                        Donation Template

Name:
Email address:
Fax number:

Value of Donation: __,___.__
Currency of Donation:  American dollars: _
                     Australian dollars: _
                         Belgium francs: _
                       Canadian dollars: _
                          Dutch gilders: _
                          French francs: _
                     German deutchmarks: _
                           Japanese yen: _
                              UK pounds: _
                 Other (please specify):

Please find my donation enclosed: _
Please charge my:           Visa: _
                      Mastercard: _
                American Express: _
    Credit Card number:
    Expiry Date:
    Name of Cardholder:

Exclude your name from the list of donors
that will be published periodically?          Yes, do exclude me: _

Email donations : credit card payment only
Fax donations   : credit card payment only
Postal donations: credit card, check/cheque or international money order

All donor information will be kept confidential, and donation records
will be deleted once the donation has been processed.

If sending this template by email, Linux International recommends
encrypting the email message using PGP and Linux International's public
PGP key.  Linux International's public key can be obtained by

                      finger donati...@li.org

Donors can then email their donation to:

                         donati...@li.org

Donors can also fax this form directly to Linux International on
 +619 331-2443  or, if within the USA, to ACC Bookstores on (203) 454 2582.
ACC Bookstores will then pass along your donation to Linux International.

Or post it to:

        Linux Development Grant Fund
        c/o Linux International
        PO Box 80,
        Hamilton Hill,
        WA, Australia, 6163

  Jon Leonard       |
                    | Rock music doesn't have to be good to be good.
  dad...@xs4all.nl  |

Linux'95 final release

Post by Jim Nan » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 07:03:10

> : : Ok, the final release of Linux'95, also known among those in the know as
> : : "v1.2.0" is now out.  After the extensive beta-release-period, Linux'95
> : : is reality.

> : : Before you get Linux'95, I'd like to outline the Licensing stuff, and
> : : remind you that copyright infringement is a crime.

> : Not that I am glued to the Linux newsgroups (yet), but have I missed
> : something terribly important, or is this a joke?

Yes, its a joke.  Its a parody of the Microsoft licensing agreement.

Jim