Sony 33A problem(yes I read the faqs)

Post by Chris Conl » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have a 386/33 w/ 8MB, 2 540MB ide, 1.3.25, w/ gus sound drivers.

When I try to mount the /dev/sonycd mount hangs.

Sometimes when I kill -9 the mount process the mount point isn't advertised(
   because mtab isn't updated, hence the mtab~ file left around) but it is
   somewhat unstable, ie I can look at the directory but I can't grab files.

It seems that the buffer isn't getting written out, b/c if I try to cp
   a file then kill it(since it hangs with the CD-ROM like flashing) it dumps
   a 65536 byte chunk to disk.

my cdu31a line in lilo.conf has been both 0x320,5 and 0x320,0, and I have
   tried hardcoding the 320 in the cdu31a.c file.
   I know that it sees the CD-ROM drive b/c I get the init message that
   says its capabilities, and I get intermittant read ability(dir only).

I am at a complete loss.  Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

TheFinn

Sony 33A problem(yes I read the faqs)

Post by Rick L. Mantoot » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Here is what I have to do to use my Sony:
In the /etc/lilo.conf:
#<clip>
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image=/vmlinuz.915
        root = /dev/sda1
        label=915
        append = "cdu31a=0x1f88,0,PAS"
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image=/vmlinuz.1.2.1
        root = /dev/sdb1
        label=wd
        append = "cdu31a=0x1f88,0,PAS"
# End /etc/lilo.conf

and then reinstall lilo.
Works with 1.2.0, 1.2.8, and 1.3.9

Good Luck,
Rick

Quote:> I have a 386/33 w/ 8MB, 2 540MB ide, 1.3.25, w/ gus sound drivers.

> When I try to mount the /dev/sonycd mount hangs.

> Sometimes when I kill -9 the mount process the mount point isn't advertised(
>    because mtab isn't updated, hence the mtab~ file left around) but it is
>    somewhat unstable, ie I can look at the directory but I can't grab files.

> It seems that the buffer isn't getting written out, b/c if I try to cp
>    a file then kill it(since it hangs with the CD-ROM like flashing) it dumps
>    a 65536 byte chunk to disk.

> my cdu31a line in lilo.conf has been both 0x320,5 and 0x320,0, and I have
>    tried hardcoding the 320 in the cdu31a.c file.
>    I know that it sees the CD-ROM drive b/c I get the init message that
>    says its capabilities, and I get intermittant read ability(dir only).

> I am at a complete loss.  Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

> Thanks,

> TheFinn

Dictionary: MURPHY'S LAW: 1 --> See Mantooth

1. Sony 33A CD-ROM problem (yes, another)

I am attempting to get Linux (I've tried 1.0.x and a few 1.1.x) to load on my
computer.  Unfortunately, I have the same problem as many other posters here
recently, that is I have a Sony 33A CD-ROM.  However, my limited knowledge of
(L)unix has denied me even the satisfaction of loading it onto my HD.  I am
using the 4th release (October 1994) from Transamerica, with Slackware (I'm not
sure what version).  My computer is a 486DX2-66 w/8meg RAM & a 520 MEG HD (2
partitions, with about 150MEG for Linux, and about 60meg free in the DOS
partition).  I thought of simply d/ling the new kernel (or maybe 59, since it
seems to be the last to work w/Sonys), but that would be a little to big for a
disk.  My next step will probably be to copy as much as I would need to just
install Linux onto my DOS partition, and then install it from there instead of
from the CD-ROM (and then worrying about how to recompile the kernel or
whatever from there).  Does anyone have any suggestions?  THANKS

Dan Moore

Last Thought... Could I copy 250meg at a time of the CD-ROM onto a tape and
then use that device to install it?

2. chmod through unix ftp

3. User Log-on Problems (yes, I read the FAQ :)

4. FVWM question: how to raise window with MB1 click on body?

5. MacOS 9.0.4 / Linux boot problems (yes, I read the FAQ)

6. man & pkgtool don't work.

7. Problem with Sony CDU-33a proprietary CD-ROM

8. Diconix inkjet printer?

9. Sony CDU-33A problems

10. sony cdu-33a problem

11. Sony 33A Problem Solved

12. Problems using a SONY CDU-33A Cdrom with RH 5.1

13. 4.0 and Sony CDU 33A install problem (for me)