Kernel Message: "will taint the kernel: no license"

Kernel Message: "will taint the kernel: no license"

Post by Young4er » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:29:39

Hi,

Finally, I finished the linux-2.4.11 kernel compilation and my system is up
running with the linux-2.4.11 kernel.  However, I noticed that the kernel
spits out this message "will taint the kernel: no license" when it tries to
load modules.  For instance, I executed "/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start",
the sound drivers are loaded as usual with such a message.  Why?

Post by Paul Kimot » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:21:41

> Finally, I finished the linux-2.4.11 kernel compilation and my system is up
> running with the linux-2.4.11 kernel.  However, I noticed that the kernel
> spits out this message "will taint the kernel: no license" when it tries to
> load modules.  For instance, I executed "/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start",
> the sound drivers are loaded as usual with such a message.  Why?

If a non-opensource module is loaded into the kernel, then it is often
difficult for kernel hackers to debug the kernel.  Therefore, modules are
now supposed to declare their licenses.  If a declared license is not known
to be opensource-friendly, the kernel is "tainted", and bug reports may be
ignored.

See http://lwn.net/2001/0906/kernel.php3 for a more lengthy description.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

Kernel Message: "will taint the kernel: no license"

Post by Young4er » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 02:33:35

Thanks for the clarification.  I guessed alsa-driver-0.5.11 won't have the
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") built-in.