Linux CD Distribution Reviews ???

Post by Ryan Los » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Has anybody done a comparison of the latest Linux packages?

> I'm interested in Red Hat 2.1, Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall 95, and
> Debians Release 6.  Since this will be my first attempt at a Linux
> installation, I'm looking for a package that's relatively easy to
> install and simple to configure.  And, while I'm asking for the moon,
> I'm hoping it will be fairly bug free.

Hello:
        I've been playing around with Linux since about August, 1992.
I am not a die-hard kernel hacker, but Linux has taught me a fair
amount about *nix systems.  I recently upgraded my box to an ELF system
using Red Hat 2.0.

        By far, it is the best Linux CD that I've ever installed.  I
liked it so much,  I decided to upgrade my PC on my desk at work from
Slackware 2.0.  I've not tried Slackware 3.0, so I won't comment on
it.  With the possible exception of my workstation having flakey cache
memory that I disabled for the install, it installed like a dream on
both systems.

        The only problem I had was on my home system.  I use PPP/CSLIP
for networking, and as such, Red Hat (2.0) didn't install all the
daemons properly, (like telnetd, ftpd, etc)  The GUI package manager
took less than 2 minutes to properly install the missing programs.

        My home system still prints error messages about eth0 not
existing.  Perhaps this is fixed in Red Hat 2.1???

        I also have Xinside Accelerated X server.  I just wish that
XFree86 was that easy to configure!!!

        My Hardware:
Pentium 66, 512k cache, 32M Memory, NCR 53c810 PCI SCSI Controller,
Fujitsu 1.2G SCSI Drive, Archive 2150 SCSI Tape, NEC 2x SCSI CDROM,
#9 GXE 64 Pro-4M VRAM, Sound Blaster 16.

        Needless to say, I highly recommend Red Hat.

My $0.02.
Ryan

Post by John Pier » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Has anybody done a comparison of the latest Linux packages?

I'm interested in Red Hat 2.1, Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall 95, and
Debians Release 6.  Since this will be my first attempt at a Linux
installation, I'm looking for a package that's relatively easy to
install and simple to configure.  And, while I'm asking for the moon,
I'm hoping it will be fairly bug free.

I've listed the 3 packages above because those are the ones I know
about.  If there are others which should be considered, I interested
in hearing about them as well.

Hopefully bringing up a system on the following hardware won't be a
problem.

System particulars:
- Intel Endeavor MB (P-100)
- Adaptec 2940 SCSI
- SCSI drives
- SCSI cdrom (Toshiba 4x)
- #9 771 video
- SB16 audio (Vibra16)

Thanks for any and all replies.

jp
"Speak the word, (revolution), the word is all of us."

1. Call For Volunteers: Linux Distribution Review

I'm setting up a small group of testers, to unofficially review
Linux distributions (including documentation etc). If you
are interested in participating as a tester, please send me a short
description of your experience, equipment and time available.

It shouldn't be very time-consuming. You will recieve a package, test
the part that has been assigned to you, return the package and e-mail
me your results, including 'ratings'.

The ratings will be used in the "Linux Buyer's Guide", which I am
working on in cooperation with Matt Welsh.

This is what was originally put forth as a "Linux Consortium".
However, the stars weren't right for that, and we've rightsized it to
this - a new "Distribution HOWTO" with user ratings. It's less formal.

-Magnus
--

Please remember to include Keywords and a short description of your software.

2. dbri_xmitqcmd: out of DVMA space!

3. Linux CD distribution for Phillips CM206 cd rom

4. dial-back server

5. Distribution Review for a newbie

6. Xconfig/mouse problems with Xfree1.2

7. Non-expensive Linux Distribution (need Linux on CD)

8. QoS filters...

9. Distribution reviews?

10. Distribution reviews

11. Review: TurboLinux 8.0 Server Edition - Warning: Harsh Review

12. Review: Sharp Zaurus reviewed at infoSync

13. Linux Distributions - Download same as CD's ???