Help with PCI, Diamond Stealth vlb 32, and Linux

Help with PCI, Diamond Stealth vlb 32, and Linux

Post by SALMAAN RASH » Wed, 31 Aug 1994 10:23:54

I am considering purchasing a 486-66 pci computer with a diamond stealth

viper pci video card vlb 32.  I have heard warnings that I could end up

having trouble with both of these and running linux.  I have even heard

I should be careful about which drive controler card I use.  I was

wondering if anybody could offer me some warnings and recommendations

pertaining to what I would need to run Linux.  Thanx a lot!

Salmann
.

Post by adefey.. » Wed, 07 Sep 1994 21:32:49

> I am considering purchasing a 486-66 pci computer with a diamond stealth

> viper pci video card vlb 32.  I have heard warnings that I could end up

> having trouble with both of these and running linux.  I have even heard

> I should be careful about which drive controler card I use.  I was

> wondering if anybody could offer me some warnings and recommendations

> pertaining to what I would need to run Linux.  Thanx a lot!

> Salmann
> .

Have a 486 PCI Motherboard with Diamond Stealth 32 PCI (ET4000 based). Through
following linux 1.1 summer 94 diamond readme files and freq program supplied
in that directory, I managed to get to 640x480 and 1024x768 BUT have serious problems with window and cursor cleanup: while dragging, marks stay behind on screen like black snow where lines where. So it is not really comfortable to use X.
Anyone more succes with Diamond Stealth 32 PCI cards (or any PCI cards at all ?)
any help is welcome
ps: yggdrasil claims PCI should not make a difference if it is VESA compat.
ps2: Diamond tech support claims a company has made drivers (unfort. comp. has gone on that phonenumber -> bust ?)

Johan at AIS

1. PCI, Diamond Stealth vlb 32, and Linux

I am considering purchasing a 486-66 pci computer with a diamond stealth
viper pci video card vlb 32.  I have heard warnings that I could end up
having trouble with both of these and running linux.  I have even heard
I should be careful about which drive controler card I use.  I was
wondering if anybody could offer me some warnings and recommendations
pertaining to what I would need to run Linux.  Thanx a lot!

Salmann

2. sockets

3. >> Diamond Stealth 32 VLB & XFree86 3.1 HELP !!!<<

4. Macintosh cannot connect to WiFi LAN

5. Help Pixel Dust Diamond Stealth 32 VLB

6. Diamond Stealth and console graphics?

7. HELP: Diamond Stealth 32 VLB Config

8. help...mac-in-linux

9. Diamond Stealth 32 VLB - Slack 2.10 - X - Help!

10. Diamond Stealth 32 VLB help!

11. Diamond Stealth 32 VLB + linux = Junk???

12. Linux/Xfree86 and Diamond Stealth 32 VLB

13. Diamond Stealth 32 VLB w/ 2M DRAM