FAX software available?

Post by Wayne Ber » Wed, 17 Aug 1994 05:01:33

I am considering a PD UNIX and one of the factors in my choice will be
what kind of FAX software (not necessarily free) there will be available.

A quick search of the FAQs:

        *BSD does not mention anything.

        Linux mentions "several fax (using class 2 modems)" packages but
        does not name them.

Thank you in advance for any info.
--
Wayne Berke

FAX software available?

Post by Satoshi ASA » Wed, 17 Aug 1994 00:58:28

(Please don't crosspost to these two groups....we have enough flame
 wars going on)

 * I am considering a PD UNIX and one of the factors in my choice will be
 * what kind of FAX software (not necessarily free) there will be available.
 *
 * A quick search of the FAQs:
 *
 *         *BSD does not mention anything.

There is a free package called "FlexFax" that works (at least) under
FreeBSD.  I haven't used it for a while (long distance call to
Japan!), but it did work for me when I tried it in the 1.0.2 days.

Satoshi

FAX software available?

Post by Ross Boswe » Wed, 17 Aug 1994 14:34:53

: I am considering a PD UNIX and one of the factors in my choice will be
: what kind of FAX software (not necessarily free) there will be available.

:       Linux mentions "several fax (using class 2 modems)" packages but
:       does not name them.

I use mgetty+sendfax (available from sunsite.unc.edu and other ftp sites)
and highly recommend it.

--

| Department of Pathology         | FAX   : +64 3 364 0525            |
| Christchurch School of Medicine | Phone : +64 3 364 0590            |

FAX software available?

Post by Lyn R. Kenne » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 00:23:56

>I am considering a PD UNIX and one of the factors in my choice will be
>what kind of FAX software (not necessarily free) there will be available.

>A quick search of the FAQs:

>    *BSD does not mention anything.

Flexfax is under 'ports' on FreeBSD sites.

It's 2.2 which won't handle some Class2 modem chips. (ROCKWELL 144DP for
one)

Flexfax 2.3beta is on sgi.com and has some fixes. It suposedly has
config files for BSD versions.

In either case, you need bash, gmake, ghostscript, and
GNU sed and expr.

Flexfax is also the most annoying package I've tried to install. The
documentation is pretty well hidden and often useless.

--  ---------------------------------------------------------------------

|                pony express = P.O. Box 5133, Ovilla, TX, USA 75154    |
---Livin' on an information dirt road a few miles off the superhighway---

FAX software available?

Post by Rob Newber » Wed, 17 Aug 1994 23:15:28

Quote:>Flexfax is under 'ports' on FreeBSD sites.
>It's 2.2 which won't handle some Class2 modem chips. (ROCKWELL 144DP for
>one)
>Flexfax 2.3beta is on sgi.com and has some fixes. It suposedly has
>config files for BSD versions.
>In either case, you need bash, gmake, ghostscript, and
>GNU sed and expr.
>Flexfax is also the most annoying package I've tried to install. The
>documentation is pretty well hidden and often useless.

While I will admit that FlexFax can be difficult to install, it is also the
most powerful program I've seen.  I have set it up here, and it now allows me
to send faxes from any Windows machine I have hooked up to my net (and I am
in the process of getting Macs to work, too).  It receives faxes and emails
me, and should autoprint them as soon as I get time.

Yes, it was a pain to get up and going with, but it is quite nice when you get
there.  And I didn't find the docs too bad...

Rob

FAX software available?

Post by Scott Alft » Wed, 17 Aug 1994 17:51:00

>I am considering a PD UNIX

Neither Linux nor (if I'm not mistaken) any of the *BSD*s are PD.
Linux is covered by GNU copyleft and the *BSD*s are probably covered
under whatever type of terms UC Berzerkely puts on its code.

Quote:>and one of the factors in my choice will be
>what kind of FAX software (not necessarily free) there will be available.

On my system, I use the mgetty+sendfax package.  mgetty is a
replacement getty that includes class 2 fax receive.  Sending, of
course, is handled by sendfax.  Both programs work with raw fax data;
such files can be created by Ghostscript and can be converted to
viewable files (xbm, gif, etc.) by the pbmplus package.

 / v \  Call the Skunk Works BBS today!           audio for your Apple IIe/IIc!
(IIGS(  (702) 894-9619 300-14400 V.32bis 1:209/263 Apple II, Linux, Trek, more!
 \_^_/  --===### Linux. It does more. It costs less. It's that simple. ###===--

FAX software available?

Post by Gert Doeri » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 23:44:01

>I am considering a PD UNIX and one of the factors in my choice will be
>what kind of FAX software (not necessarily free) there will be available.

Free software available for Linux:

mgetty+sendfax (class 2, class 2.0),
        ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:/tmp/mgetty021*

efax (class 1, class 2)
        sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/System/apps/comm/efax* (??)

FlexFax (all types of fax command sets)
        sgi.com:~ftp/sgi/fax/*

mgetty runs on *BSD as well, FlexFax and efax should, but I'm not sure.

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert