FA310TX and RedHat 6.1

Post by Mike » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

 I've installed an FA310TX (a tier one supported card) into my box (RedHat
 6.1).  The card is connected to *Surfer cable modem using a crossover
 cable.  Using linuxconf, I added my IP, subnet mask, DNS server IP's but
 when I try to ping the address I get 'Destination Host Unreachable'.  After
 an ifconfig, I do see that I'm receiving packets and that I'm transmitting
 packets.  I also see the activity light on the back of the card blinking.
 tryed installing Netgear's version of the tulip driver but that doesn't
 work.  I tryed compiling the kernel with tulip support built in vice
 modular.  I've reinstalled RedHat, thinking maybe I've missed something
 during install.  I've tryed a DE528CT and an SMC1660T (both NE2K).  I get
 the same errors.  What the heck is going on?

FA310TX and RedHat 6.1

Post by Hotel Balderda » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

If you are getting LED activity on the card, it is probably set up
correctly.  I'm not familiar with the Cable modem you are using, but
mine uses a straight cable, not a crossover cable.  You might want to
try it with a regular TP cable.

> I've installed an FA310TX (a tier one supported card) into my box (RedHat
> 6.1).  The card is connected to *Surfer cable modem using a crossover
> cable.  Using linuxconf, I added my IP, subnet mask, DNS server IP's but
> when I try to ping the address I get 'Destination Host Unreachable'.  After
> an ifconfig, I do see that I'm receiving packets and that I'm transmitting
> packets.  I also see the activity light on the back of the card blinking.
> tryed installing Netgear's version of the tulip driver but that doesn't
> work.  I tryed compiling the kernel with tulip support built in vice
> modular.  I've reinstalled RedHat, thinking maybe I've missed something
> during install.  I've tryed a DE528CT and an SMC1660T (both NE2K).  I get
> the same errors.  What the heck is going on?

FA310TX and RedHat 6.1

Post by Anderso » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I was wondering about the x-over cable too?  Any particular reason why
you're using that?  Crossover cables are supposed to be used for connecting
2 computers only without the use of a hub.  By the way, I got my my FA310TX
to work with 6.1 but its sharing the internet connection with a windows
98/2k box.  I haven't tried running the cable modem directly to the linux
box but I don't think I plan to anytime soon.  You might want to try DHCP,
which has worked for my setup along with a couple friends of mine with the
Road Runner service and the same setup your attempting.  You may not be able
to use DHCP during the install because you have to give a hostname first.
Hope this helps a little.

Anderson

FA310TX and RedHat 6.1

Post by Bob Bea » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>  I've installed an FA310TX (a tier one supported card) into my box
(RedHat
>  6.1).  The card is connected to *Surfer cable modem using a
crossover
>  cable.  Using linuxconf, I added my IP, subnet mask, DNS server IP's
but
>  when I try to ping the address I get 'Destination Host Unreachable'.

This may be a wild idea, but have you set a default route for your
machine?

Do a 'netstat -r' and see if you have any entries under 'Destination'
called 'default'. If not, then that's your problem. It's pretty standard
to do a:
        route add default <IP addr of your machine>
to tell your box "OK... to get to all the 'other' addresses in the
network, go through this one."

Again, you may have already tried this, but it sounds like you haven't,
and it's a simple thing to forget.

                        Thanks,

                        The Man from S.P.U.D.
                        We will write no code before it's designed.

1. FA310TX and RedHat 6.1

I've installed an FA310TX (a tier one supported card) into my box (RedHat
6.1).  The card is connected to CyberSurfer cable modem using a crossover
cable.  Using linuxconf, I added my IP, subnet mask, DNS server IP's but
when I try to ping the address I get 'Destination Host Unreachable'.  After
an ifconfig, I do see that I'm receiving packets and that I'm transmitting
packets.  I also see the activity light on the back of the card blinking.  I
tryed installing Netgear's version of the tulip driver but that doesn't
work.  I tryed compiling the kernel with tulip support built in vice
modular.  I've reinstalled RedHat, thinking maybe I've missed something
during install.  I've tryed a DE528CT and an SMC1660T (both NE2K).  I get
the same errors.  What the heck is going on?

2. Can you retrieve files beyond a bad point on a tape?

3. Using NetGear FA310TX Ethernet Cards In Red Hat Linux 6.1

4. A tip on a Free X-windows Server

5. Binaries of KDE2 for SuSe 6.3, Redhat 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1

6. Press Release: Soft Token

7. Can Redhat 6.1 host eXceed 6.1 Xsession? How?

8. Resizing of DOS-Partition

9. Upgrading from Redhat 6.1 to RedHat 9.0?

10. RedHat 6.1 vs Redhat 6.2

11. RedHat 7.1 NFS Won't Export same drives as RedHat 6.1

12. Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 6.1

13. RedHat 7.1 NFS Won't Export same drives as RedHat 6.1