Unable to access mounted partition

Post by Roy Varghes » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

I have mounted my NTFS file system into /mnt/cdrive, fstab shows

/dev/hda1   /mnt/cdrive ntfs  user,ro  0 0

My problem is that I can access the mounted directory only when I
am logged in as root. No other user can access it, even though they
can mount it. Permission on the /mnt/cdrive directory is drwxrwxrwx.
Can anyone help please?

Kernel: 2.2.9

Thanks!

Roy

Unable to access mounted partition

Post by Tim Moor » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> /dev/hda1   /mnt/cdrive ntfs  user,ro  0 0

> My problem is that I can access the mounted directory only when I
> am logged in as root. No other user can access it, even though they
> can mount it. Permission on the /mnt/cdrive directory is drwxrwxrwx.

/dev/hda1  /mnt/cdrive  ntfs  defaults,noauto,user,ro  0 0

--
Direct replies to username 'timothymoore'

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

Unable to access mounted partition

Post by Gerald Willman » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > can mount it. Permission on the /mnt/cdrive directory is drwxrwxrwx.

these are the permissions before or after you mount to it?

  Gerald

1. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

Hi,

I am trying to boot my Red Hat 6.2 system (PIII 450 Mhz, linux kernel
version 2.2.16) into Rescue mode by booting from the floppy drive, without
accessing the hard drive.  (This is because when I boot into Rescue mode for
real, I will have just formatted the linux filesystems on the hard drive,
and the root partition will not contain a /etc/fstab file. Hence
all the filesystems, including the root filesystem, will not be able to be
mounted.)  FYI, I'm using LILO to dual boot the machine between Win 98 and
Linux; hda1 is FAT32, while hda2 is linux swap and hda3 is linux native
(type 83),

With the Red Hat 6.2 Install CD in the local CD drive and the Red Hat
Install floppy in the floppy drive, I am able to boot into Rescue mode (by
entering "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt from the floppy).  (Due to
lack of BIOS support, the system cannot be booted directly from the CD.)

My problem is that after I get the bash shell prompt, I am unable to
mount or otherwise access any of the filesystems on  my hard drive
(/dev/hda1, /dev/hda3) or the floppy drive  (/dev/fd0).  In fact, in the
/dev
directory, the /dev/hda1, /dev/hda3 and /dev/fd0 devices don't even exist.

Does anybody know how I can boot into Rescue mode subject to the following
constraints:
- Booting cleanly from the floppy,
- Without accessing  the hard drive during the boot process,
- But being able to manually access/mount the hard drive filesystems and the
floppy drive after booting.

Thanks,

Dave J.

P.S.  I also tried using the mkbootdisk command to create a boot floppy.
Booting from this floppy failed (kernel panic error message) when the root
filesystem could not be mounted.

2. modem talks but does not [sr]z

3. Unable to access files on NFS mount

4. /etc/hosts.deny help

5. unable to access home directory (NIS User, NFS Mount)

6. ANNOUNCE: gcml2 version 0.7.1

7. Unable to access file from remote mounted filesystem

8. File system interface - which to use?

9. Unable to mount MS-DOS partitions

10. Unable to mount DOS partition - it's "busy"

11. Problem: unable to mount dos partitions or cdrom(s)

12. Unable to mount Dos partition

13. unable to mount a /dev/hdc1 dos partition