mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Joh » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to mount my ide CD-RW.  X-Roast is able to use it through
mkisofs and cdrecord.  When I type mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom it gives
me the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device (maybe
'insmod driver'?)

I have scsi emulation support enabled under block devices in kernel
configuation and ide/atapi cdrom support disable (this is for X-Roast)

Under Scsi support I have enabled :
SCSI support, SCSI disk, SCSI CD-ROM support, vendor-specific
extensions, SCSI generic support.

Under filesystems I have sio 9660 support as a module.

There was another method I tried and got wrong major or minor number

How do i mount my CD-RW.

Thank you

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Flemming Bjerk » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

> I am trying to mount my ide CD-RW.  X-Roast is able to use it through
> mkisofs and cdrecord.  When I type mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom it gives
> me the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device (maybe
> 'insmod driver'?)

> I have scsi emulation support enabled under block devices in kernel
> configuation and ide/atapi cdrom support disable (this is for X-Roast)

> Under Scsi support I have enabled :
> SCSI support, SCSI disk, SCSI CD-ROM support, vendor-specific
> extensions, SCSI generic support.

> Under filesystems I have sio 9660 support as a module.

> There was another method I tried and got wrong major or minor number

> How do i mount my CD-RW.

> Thank you

I am about solve similar problems, but I suceeded mounting a CD in the
CD-RW, after having insmod the module for my SCSI controller. This is
quite easy: You find the module in: /lib/modules/2.214-5.0/scsi/
(depending on Your kernel no.). If there is a module corresponding to
Your SCSI controller, You can just
insmod  <your controller module>
Then You can mount Your CD-RW, if it is one which is supported by Linux.
But, You have to do this each time You boot.  I don't know if You have
tried this. It must be a way finding out whether You can mount Your
CD-RW. I have not yet tried to integrate this module in functioning of
the kernel, but if You can do it by insmod, it should be possible to
integrate it in the kernel functioning. Alternatively, it You can make a
small script with insmod and make a call when booting (not very elegant).

Flemming

  Flemming.vcf
< 1K Download

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Joh » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

Thank you for your reply:  The CD-RW is an IDE and I had to use the
ide-scsi driver and the scsi emulator, any other ideas would be
appreciated.

Post by PoD » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > I am trying to mount my ide CD-RW.  X-Roast is able to use it through
> > mkisofs and cdrecord.  When I type mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom it gives
> > me the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device (maybe
> > 'insmod driver'?)

> > I have scsi emulation support enabled under block devices in kernel
> > configuation and ide/atapi cdrom support disable (this is for X-Roast)

> > Under Scsi support I have enabled :
> > SCSI support, SCSI disk, SCSI CD-ROM support, vendor-specific
> > extensions, SCSI generic support.

> > Under filesystems I have sio 9660 support as a module.

> > There was another method I tried and got wrong major or minor number

> > How do i mount my CD-RW.

> > Thank you

> I am about solve similar problems, but I suceeded mounting a CD in the
> CD-RW, after having insmod the module for my SCSI controller. This is
> quite easy: You find the module in: /lib/modules/2.214-5.0/scsi/
> (depending on Your kernel no.). If there is a module corresponding to
> Your SCSI controller, You can just
> insmod  <your controller module>
> Then You can mount Your CD-RW, if it is one which is supported by Linux.
> But, You have to do this each time You boot.  I don't know if You have
> tried this. It must be a way finding out whether You can mount Your
> CD-RW. I have not yet tried to integrate this module in functioning of
> the kernel, but if You can do it by insmod, it should be possible to
> integrate it in the kernel functioning. Alternatively, it You can make a
> small script with insmod and make a call when booting (not very elegant).

> Flemming

I got it to load the needed modules by lsmod after trying to mount the
CD to find what was being loaded.
Then putting an entry in /lib/modules/2.2.15/modules.dep to make one of
these modules depend on one of the others which was not being
automatically loaded.

PoD.

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Joh » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> > I am trying to mount my ide CD-RW.  X-Roast is able to use it through
>> > mkisofs and cdrecord.  When I type mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom it gives
>> > me the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device (maybe
>> > 'insmod driver'?)

>> > I have scsi emulation support enabled under block devices in kernel
>> > configuation and ide/atapi cdrom support disable (this is for X-Roast)

>> > Under Scsi support I have enabled :
>> > SCSI support, SCSI disk, SCSI CD-ROM support, vendor-specific
>> > extensions, SCSI generic support.

>> > Under filesystems I have sio 9660 support as a module.

>> > There was another method I tried and got wrong major or minor number

>> > How do i mount my CD-RW.

>> > Thank you

>> I am about solve similar problems, but I suceeded mounting a CD in the
>> CD-RW, after having insmod the module for my SCSI controller. This is
>> quite easy: You find the module in: /lib/modules/2.214-5.0/scsi/
>> (depending on Your kernel no.). If there is a module corresponding to
>> Your SCSI controller, You can just
>> insmod  <your controller module>
>> Then You can mount Your CD-RW, if it is one which is supported by Linux.
>> But, You have to do this each time You boot.  I don't know if You have
>> tried this. It must be a way finding out whether You can mount Your
>> CD-RW. I have not yet tried to integrate this module in functioning of
>> the kernel, but if You can do it by insmod, it should be possible to
>> integrate it in the kernel functioning. Alternatively, it You can make a
>> small script with insmod and make a call when booting (not very elegant).

>> Flemming

>I got it to load the needed modules by lsmod after trying to mount the
>CD to find what was being loaded.
>Then putting an entry in /lib/modules/2.2.15/modules.dep to make one of
>these modules depend on one of the others which was not being
>automatically loaded.

>PoD.

Thank you for your reply;

The problem is that I don't know what modules to install.  I have
taken you suggestion and did a lsmod and found that no scsi drivers
where installed on boot.  I then insmod ide-scsi.o and tried to mount
it, no success.  Then I insmod sg.o and that didn't work either.
When I type  mount /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom I get :
mount: /dev/sga is not a block device.

When I type mount -t iso9660 /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom I get:
mount: /dev/sg0 has wrong major or minor number

Please help.

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Prasanth A. Kum » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> Thank you for your reply;

> The problem is that I don't know what modules to install.  I have
> taken you suggestion and did a lsmod and found that no scsi drivers
> where installed on boot.  I then insmod ide-scsi.o and tried to mount
> it, no success.  Then I insmod sg.o and that didn't work either.
> When I type  mount /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom I get :
> mount: /dev/sga is not a block device.

> When I type mount -t iso9660 /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom I get:
> mount: /dev/sg0 has wrong major or minor number

> Please help.

Did you add the following line to your /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo?

append="hd?=ide-scsi"

--
Prasanth Kumar

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Duan » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> >> I am about solve similar problems, but I suceeded mounting a CD in the
> >> CD-RW, after having insmod the module for my SCSI controller. This is
> >> quite easy: You find the module in: /lib/modules/2.214-5.0/scsi/
> >> (depending on Your kernel no.). If there is a module corresponding to
> >> Your SCSI controller, You can just
> >> insmod  <your controller module>
> >> Then You can mount Your CD-RW, if it is one which is supported by Linux.
> >> But, You have to do this each time You boot.  I don't know if You have
> >> tried this. It must be a way finding out whether You can mount Your
> >> CD-RW. I have not yet tried to integrate this module in functioning of
> >> the kernel, but if You can do it by insmod, it should be possible to
> >> integrate it in the kernel functioning. Alternatively, it You can make a
> >> small script with insmod and make a call when booting (not very elegant).

> >> Flemming

> >I got it to load the needed modules by lsmod after trying to mount the
> >CD to find what was being loaded.
> >Then putting an entry in /lib/modules/2.2.15/modules.dep to make one of
> >these modules depend on one of the others which was not being
> >automatically loaded.

> >PoD.

> Thank you for your reply;

> The problem is that I don't know what modules to install.  I have
> taken you suggestion and did a lsmod and found that no scsi drivers
> where installed on boot.  I then insmod ide-scsi.o and tried to mount
> it, no success.  Then I insmod sg.o and that didn't work either.
> When I type  mount /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom I get :
> mount: /dev/sga is not a block device.

> When I type mount -t iso9660 /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom I get:
> mount: /dev/sg0 has wrong major or minor number

> Please help.

I am a little puzzled by a couple of things. "insmod ide-scsi.o" worked
for you? I even tried this on my system and it doesn't work for me.
Normally, those commands would be:

insmod ide-scsi
insmod sg

Also, rather than issue those commands, have you tried putting this into
your /etc/conf.modules:

options ide-cd ignore=hdc  <- assuming your CD is hdc
alias scd0 sg
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi

Reboot, and then try "cdrecord -scanbus" and see what it says.

--

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 31 May 2000 10:28:30 -0700, Duane

[much snippage]

Quote:>insmod ide-scsi
>insmod sg

>Also, rather than issue those commands, have you tried putting this into
>your /etc/conf.modules:

>options ide-cd ignore=hdc  <- assuming your CD is hdc
>alias scd0 sg

No.

A CD-ROM is a block device.  The generic SCSI driver is a character
device.  Take a look at the results of "ls -l /dev/scd0 /dev/sg0" for
confirmation.  Attempting to use /dev/sg0 as a read-only CD-ROM interface
will not work-- mount reports "/dev/sg0 is not a block device" which is
what it should be saying.

The correct module for accessing an IDE-SCSI emulated CD-ROM is sr_mod,
and the device name is /dev/scd[0-15] depending on how many CD-ROMs you
have.  /dev/sg[0-15] is used by the sg module, and scanners and CD-R(W)s
also use it.

# insmod ide-scsi       (IDE-SCSI emulation)
# insmod scsi_mod       (if you have SCSI support as a module)
# insmod sr_mod         (SCSI CD-ROM support)
# insmod sg             (SCSI Generic support)

It shouldn't be this difficult-- just put
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
in /etc/conf.modules, and the right stuff should get probed automatically
when you try to access /dev/scd0 or /dev/sg0, assuming you've passed
"hdX=ide-scsi" to the kernel at boot time.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Duan » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> On Wed, 31 May 2000 10:28:30 -0700, Duane

> [much snippage]
> >insmod ide-scsi
> >insmod sg

> >Also, rather than issue those commands, have you tried putting this into
> >your /etc/conf.modules:

> >options ide-cd ignore=hdc  <- assuming your CD is hdc
> >alias scd0 sg

> No.

> A CD-ROM is a block device.  The generic SCSI driver is a character
> device.  Take a look at the results of "ls -l /dev/scd0 /dev/sg0" for
> confirmation.  Attempting to use /dev/sg0 as a read-only CD-ROM interface
> will not work-- mount reports "/dev/sg0 is not a block device" which is
> what it should be saying.

> The correct module for accessing an IDE-SCSI emulated CD-ROM is sr_mod,
> and the device name is /dev/scd[0-15] depending on how many CD-ROMs you
> have.  /dev/sg[0-15] is used by the sg module, and scanners and CD-R(W)s
> also use it.

> # insmod ide-scsi       (IDE-SCSI emulation)
> # insmod scsi_mod       (if you have SCSI support as a module)
> # insmod sr_mod         (SCSI CD-ROM support)
> # insmod sg             (SCSI Generic support)

> It shouldn't be this difficult-- just put
> alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> in /etc/conf.modules, and the right stuff should get probed automatically
> when you try to access /dev/scd0 or /dev/sg0, assuming you've passed
> "hdX=ide-scsi" to the kernel at boot time.

Unfortunately, judging by all the posts on this subject, it IS this
difficult. Those of us using Redhat are working with a system that is
apparently just enough different from others that instructions such as
the HOW-TO cause a lot of confusion. I am a newcomer to this, but after
much struggle I think I have absorbed just enough info to be dangerous!

So to to address your points:
The line
 alias scd0 sg
does not mean use the sg device for mounting the cd. It simply means (I
think) load the sg module when an attempt is made to access scd0 (or
something like that). I was in fact mounting the CDROM using the device
/dev/scd0. On a stock Redhat 6.1 system, the line "alias scd0 sg" does
in fact work. I know, because I have tried it.

So why did I use the line "alias scd0 sg"? Well, the latest CD-Writing
HOWTO (dated 05 May 2000) says to use "alias scd0 sr_mod". There is that
sr_mod again, as you mention above. Unfortunately, a stock Redhat system
doesn't have sr_mod as a module. So us Redhat folks are already
confused. So I tried "alias scd0 ide-scsi". Again, no dice. I tried
several other combinations until stumbling on one that worked:

options ide-cd ignore=hdc
alias scd0 sg
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi

And again I will emphasize that on my system it really does work. And
again, judging by other postings I have seen since, it has worked for
other people, too.

But I figured I would try your advice, so I tried the "alias
scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi" method. Interesting, that works fine too. So
I go back and look at the CD-Writing HOWTO.

http://www.guug.de/~winni/linux/cdr/html/CD-Writing-2.html

I can't find any mention of this command. I do a text search on the file
for "hostadapter". Nope, doesn't appear to be there. Oddly enough, I
find (elsewhere) an old version dated 7 August 1999, and it IS there.
Well, that is just a tad odd.

In any case, for me it works absolutely no different from the method I
posted, so aside from a slightly smaller conf.module, I am not sure I
see what the difference is.

I realize that some non Redhat people would like for those of with
Redhat to stay off this list. But I think that is not a going to happen,
so the confusion will likely continue.

--

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Uwe Malza » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to mount my ide CD-RW.  X-Roast is able to use it through
> mkisofs and cdrecord.  When I type mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom it gives
> me the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device (maybe
> 'insmod driver'?)
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you insert the ide-scsi driver?

Cheers
Uwe

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Joh » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thank you all for you help but that stillhave not soloved the problem:

I ran cdrecord's scanbus before I did anything.  cdrecord found the
cd-rw and cd (i have 2 devices).  I isnmod ide-scsi and sg and tried
to mount using mount /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom.  I still get the message not
a block device.  I tried to insmod the scsi_mod and sr_mod but they
were not found .

I do have append="hdc=ide-scsi" right before root=/dev/hda5.

What I don't understand is why cdrecord and find them and use them and
I can't.

In my kernel I have scsi emulation suport as Y and not M
Under scsi support I have scsi support as Y and scsi generic support
as Y and scsi cd-rom support as Y

Under Filesystems I have iso9660 support as M

Last bit of info: I am running RH6.2 w/kernal 2.2.14

Please help.

Post by Duan » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Thank you all for you help but that stillhave not soloved the problem:

> I ran cdrecord's scanbus before I did anything.  cdrecord found the
> cd-rw and cd (i have 2 devices).  I isnmod ide-scsi and sg and tried
> to mount using mount /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom.  I still get the message not
> a block device.  I tried to insmod the scsi_mod and sr_mod but they
> were not found .

Oh, well that is different from the problem most of us thought you were
having. Don't worry about not finding scsi_mod and sr_mod. That is not
important. The correct device for mounting is /dev/scd0, not sg0 (as was
pointed out in another post).

Quote:> I do have append="hdc=ide-scsi" right before root=/dev/hda5.

> What I don't understand is why cdrecord and find them and use them and
> I can't.

Are you trying to mount a disk before you burn it? No can do. When you
ran "cdrecord -scanbus", you got something like:

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J?rg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W8432T' '1.05' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

The 0,0,0 is the "device" that is used by cdrecord. I don't know how to
use xcdroast, but using the the commands from the command line, to
create a disk of, for example, the /home directory, do (assuming /big is
large enough to hold the image file):

# cd /
# mkisofs -R -l -J -o /big/home.img home

And then burn the disk. Notice the device argument to cdrecord.

# cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 /big/home.img

There are other ways of doing things. If you have a reasonably fast
machine, you don't need to create the image file, and therefore don't
need a big empty chunk of disk space for it. The mkisofs can be piped
directly to cdrecord:

# mkisofs -R -l -J home | cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -

Once the disk is burnt, then you can mount it with "mount /dev/scd0
/mnt/cdrom".

--

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Joh » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I cannot beleive that I am having so much trouble with this.  I thank
you all for you patients and replies.

 Xcdroast uses cdrecord and mkisofs.  It is just a GUI front end for
them.  Using Xcdroast I am able to burn a CD and my windows maching
will read it.  But if I take a purchased CD like Red Hat and try to
mount it, it comes back with "the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0
as a block device".  The purpose of the cdrecord info is to let you
know that something recognizes it and is able to use it.

 I must be doing something wrong since cdrecord sees it and can use it
Here is my information from CDrecord.
# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.8 (i666-pc-linux-gnu)Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg
Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'IDE-CD' 'ReWriteable-2X2X6'  '3.01' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'WPI    ' ' CDS-24-X     ERn'  'A1.0' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

There was previous dicussion about cd-roms being character devices and
scsi being block.  I would guess that ide-scsi driver might be the
converter from character to block.  Is there an order to loading these
drivers?

All input is appreciated.

>> Thank you all for you help but that stillhave not soloved the problem:

>> I ran cdrecord's scanbus before I did anything.  cdrecord found the
>> cd-rw and cd (i have 2 devices).  I isnmod ide-scsi and sg and tried
>> to mount using mount /dev/sg0 /mnt/cdrom.  I still get the message not
>> a block device.  I tried to insmod the scsi_mod and sr_mod but they
>> were not found .

>Oh, well that is different from the problem most of us thought you were
>having. Don't worry about not finding scsi_mod and sr_mod. That is not
>important. The correct device for mounting is /dev/scd0, not sg0 (as was
>pointed out in another post).

>> I do have append="hdc=ide-scsi" right before root=/dev/hda5.

>> What I don't understand is why cdrecord and find them and use them and
>> I can't.

>Are you trying to mount a disk before you burn it? No can do. When you
>ran "cdrecord -scanbus", you got something like:

># cdrecord -scanbus
>Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J?rg Schilling
>Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
>scsibus0:
>        0,0,0     0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W8432T' '1.05' Removable
>CD-ROM
>        0,1,0     1) *
>        0,2,0     2) *
>        0,3,0     3) *
>        0,4,0     4) *
>        0,5,0     5) *
>        0,6,0     6) *
>        0,7,0     7) *

>The 0,0,0 is the "device" that is used by cdrecord. I don't know how to
>use xcdroast, but using the the commands from the command line, to
>create a disk of, for example, the /home directory, do (assuming /big is
>large enough to hold the image file):

># cd /
># mkisofs -R -l -J -o /big/home.img home

>And then burn the disk. Notice the device argument to cdrecord.

># cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 /big/home.img

>There are other ways of doing things. If you have a reasonably fast
>machine, you don't need to create the image file, and therefore don't
>need a big empty chunk of disk space for it. The mkisofs can be piped
>directly to cdrecord:

># mkisofs -R -l -J home | cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -

>Once the disk is burnt, then you can mount it with "mount /dev/scd0
>/mnt/cdrom".

>--

mounting ide-scsi device

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000 22:50:23 GMT, John

Quote:>I cannot beleive that I am having so much trouble with this.  I thank
>you all for you patients and replies.
> I must be doing something wrong since cdrecord sees it and can use it
>Here is my information from CDrecord.
># cdrecord -scanbus
>Cdrecord release 1.8 (i666-pc-linux-gnu)Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg
>scsibus0:
>        0,0,0     0) 'IDE-CD' 'ReWriteable-2X2X6'  '3.01' Removable

>There was previous dicussion about cd-roms being character devices and
>scsi being block.  I would guess that ide-scsi driver might be the
>converter from character to block.  Is there an order to loading these
>drivers?

A CD-ROM is generally *read* as a block device, while it's *written* as a
character device.  Writing to a CD-R(W) uses the Generic SCSI Interface,
since the kernel wants it that way, and the Generic SCSI Interface is a
character device for maximum flexibility since there's no guarantee that a
SCSI scanner, for instance, will be able to deal with the buffer caching
the kernel does for block devices.  CD-RWs must be fed a constant stream
of data once burning's started, therefore buffer-caching isn't a good idea
for them.  The whole thing can bend your brain a bit.

The order of loading modules goes like this:

# insmod ide-scsi
# insmod scsi_mod
# insmod sr_mod
# insmod cdrom     (?  This is here on 2.3.99-pre8, don't remember it
being there in 2.2.x)
# insmod sg
# insmod iso9660

The ide-scsi module makes your IDE CD-RW emulate a SCSI CD-RW.  This is
necessary with Linux because no one's written a native driver for an IDE
CD-RW, as the SCSI emulation seems to work great once you've gotten it set
up right.  scsi_mod is for SCSI support.  sr_mod is for SCSI CD-ROM
support.  cdrom is apparently a generic CD-ROM driver that makes IDE,
SCSI, and old proprietary interface CD-ROMs look the same to higher
levels.  (May not be there in 2.2.x, I honestly don't remember!)  sg is
for generic SCSI devices, basically anything that's not a disk, CD-ROM, or
tape drive.  iso9660 is the filesystem used on CD-ROMs, as the kernel
must have a driver available to read that filesystem.

Check the actual device file for /dev/scd0.  On my system:
brw-r--r--   1 root     disk      11,   0 Mar 24 16:57 /dev/scd0

If it doesn't exist, or looks different, do a quick
# mknod -m 644 /dev/scd0 b 11 0
(create device file, permissions 644, filename /dev/scd0, block device,
major number 11, minor number 0.)

--

Post by Duan » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I cannot beleive that I am having so much trouble with this.  I thank
> you all for you patients and replies.

>  Xcdroast uses cdrecord and mkisofs.  It is just a GUI front end for
> them.  Using Xcdroast I am able to burn a CD and my windows maching
> will read it.  But if I take a purchased CD like Red Hat and try to
> mount it, it comes back with "the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0
> as a block device".  The purpose of the cdrecord info is to let you
> know that something recognizes it and is able to use it.

>  I must be doing something wrong since cdrecord sees it and can use it
> Here is my information from CDrecord.
> # cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord release 1.8 (i666-pc-linux-gnu)Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg
> Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'IDE-CD' 'ReWriteable-2X2X6'  '3.01' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) 'WPI    ' ' CDS-24-X     ERn'  'A1.0' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *

> There was previous dicussion about cd-roms being character devices and
> scsi being block.  I would guess that ide-scsi driver might be the
> converter from character to block.  Is there an order to loading these
> drivers?

> All input is appreciated.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Hiding crucial information from us, eh? Oh well, we'll
get over it.

Going back to your original post, I see that you compiled iso9660 as a
module. Have you tried compiling it into the kernel? Or try this,
"insmod isofs". Now can you mount the CDROMs?

I see you have two CDROM drives. Does mounting work on one of them, or
is this a problem on both?

Also from your original post, it looks like you compiled all the SCSI
stuff into the kernel (except ISO 9660), rather than as modules. Is this
in fact what you have? If so, then all this module stuff is irrelevant.