LINUXERS: *DON'T* buy ATI All-In-Wonder if you want the TV feature

LINUXERS: *DON'T* buy ATI All-In-Wonder if you want the TV feature

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Earlier this morning I was full of shit.  I accidentally told
someone that buying the ATI All-in-Wonder was a good deal because the TV
section isn't wasted.

    I WAS WRONG.

    Don't buy the card unless you're willing to go into Win95 to watch
it, because ATI is too tight with the data to let us use it.  YES, it
uses the same kind of chip with some minor improvements, but it's
configured differently.

    I've only had one other ATI card, back in the old days...and it was
a high technology "screamer", too...but it was tricked-out and unusual
then, and this card is too, unless you're running Win95 and nothing
else.  (In which case: "Welcome to this newsgroup").

     I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the last ATI card
I'll buy for many years, if ever, since they like to keep playing with
the standards.

    Geeze...

    Sorry, guys; hope I didn't steer anyone wrong...never had to
<CANCEL> a message before, so I don't remember how to do it.  Can
someone remind me?

    Brian

LINUXERS: *DON'T* buy ATI All-In-Wonder if you want the TV feature

Post by John Pea » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Not only that, but they don't provide proper support for NT (my box is
dual-bootable Linux and NT 4). There is no mpeg player for NT and when I
emailed their technical support to see if and when one was likely....... I'm
still waiting for a reply three months later.

--
John Peach, Shell Services International,
1 Altens Farm Road, Aberdeen, AB12 3FY, Scotland.

LINUXERS: *DON'T* buy ATI All-In-Wonder if you want the TV feature

Post by Ulrich Hab » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>     I've only had one other ATI card, back in the old days...and it was
> a high technology "screamer", too...but it was tricked-out and unusual
> then, and this card is too, unless you're running Win95 and nothing
> else.  (In which case: "Welcome to this newsgroup").

>      I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the last ATI card
> I'll buy for many years, if ever, since they like to keep playing with
> the standards.

>     Geeze...

You're right: I have got the Rage II + DVD, and ATI didn't gave me
any data sheet nor info about programming the DVD or 3D section :-(
they told me that they aren't allowed due to 3rd parties ($-soft) ...

So, it was the first AND the last time I bought an ATI card  :-((

Ulrich (espero) Habel