Maxtor Hard Disk Problems

Post by roo » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone had problems with 2gig Maxtor hard drives with Linux?  I had one on my old computer, and when I rebuilt it (new motherboard, case, processor) I stuck it in and everything worked fine for a day or so.  Then once when I booted, the drive started clicking and would not auto-detect, so I called Maxtor and they told me I must have a bad disk, and send me a new one.  I installed it and reinstalled Red-Hat 3.0.3 on it without a hitch.  Then, after rebooting a few times, I start X and the drive starts c
*ing again sometimes, like when I have a lot of disk activity.  The drive still works, but it gets really slow.  e2fsck couldn't find anything wrong with any of the partitions, no bad blocks or anything.  Anyone out there got any ideas??

Thanks,
Brock

Maxtor Hard Disk Problems

Post by Rob Colem » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

 - Has anyone had problems with 2gig Maxtor hard drives with Linux?  I had
 - one on my old computer, and when I rebuilt it (new motherboard, case,
 - processor) I stuck it in and everything worked fine for a day or so.
 - Then once when I booted, the drive started clicking and would not
 - auto-detect, so I called Maxtor and they told me I must have a bad
 - disk, and send me a new one.  I installed it and reinstalled Red-Hat
 - 3.0.3 on it without a hitch.  Then, after rebooting a few times, I
 - start X and the drive starts clicking again sometimes, like when I have
 - a lot of disk activity.  The drive still works, but it gets really
 - slow.  e2fsck couldn't find anything wrong with any of the partitions,
 - no bad blocks or anything.  Anyone out there got any ideas??

ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.1.8 has older revision than expected 9
ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.1.8 has older revision than expected 9
I had a Maxtor 720004AP that I had trouble with.  It worked fine for a
couple of weeks, and then started clicking and getting read errors.  I
would have to reset the computer, and then it would work fine for a
while.  This happened 3-4 times, and then uncorrectable bad sectors
began appearing on the disk, and I started copying my stuff off the
failing drive.  I managed to get most of it off when I asked for and
got a new drive from Maxtor to replace the bad one.  The new one seems
to be working fine.
--
Rob Coleman                                   Years go by, will I still be
College of Computing/Georgia Tech             waiting for somebody else to

1. Hard Disk Jumper Question on Maxtor IDE as second disk

I just picked up a new system and wanted to add my old Maxtor
7213AT (203Mb) as a second IDE disk. Since I have no documentation
I was wondering if someone out there had run this drive as a 2nd
disk. Is there a jumper to set in order to get this drive to act like
a second disk?

The current system is a packard bell pentium system with dual IDE
connectors, one for standard IDE, one for PCI IDE. The primary drive
is a seagate 1080Mb running off the PCI connector. The docs seem to
indicate that each connector can handle two disks.

+-Erik Kleinbussink ------------------------------------+

|                                                       |
|                                                       |

2. Linux for Web development

3. Does anyone have Maxtor Hard disk 30 go who has a problem to install Red Hat?

4. linux/unix question on malloc

5. 36 GB Maxtor Hard disk install HELP!!

6. LINUX-FT "proc filesystem not mounted"

7. Q:MAXTOR Hard Disk

8. SUN Workstation Emulating IBM Mainframe?

9. Maxtor 1.2M IDE hard disk

10. Maxtor Hard Disk for Win95 only ?!!

11. Maxtor 98196H8 Hard disk size wrong

12. 120GB Maxtor 4G120J6 Hard Disk support

13. 36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!