Router/Print server & LPRng.

Post by Vadim V. Kouevd » Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:10:20

Hi all!

I compiled and assembled my Linux (Linux From Scratch modified)
and am pretty happy with it. But I got a problem - I can not
setup LPRng from scratch!

I am using SMC Barricade 7008BR as DSL Router/Print server.
Printing works from win laptop and another computer with RH-7.3

RedHat uses LPRng (3.8.9, in my case it's the latest 3.8.15)
but different filter scheme - magicfilter (I am trying to use
ifhp, which seems to be, I guess, better). The problem is -
I can not get anything on a printer even with REALLY limited
printcap without filters at all:

smclp:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpr.log:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
        :rm=192.168.123.254:\
        :rp=lp:

I believe it should work at least somehow!

Anyone has similar experience or working similar setup
and care to share?

Router/Print server & LPRng.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:56:43

> Hi all!

> I compiled and assembled my Linux (Linux From Scratch modified)
> and am pretty happy with it. But I got a problem - I can not
> setup LPRng from scratch!

        So what do you suppose that has to do with UNIX systems administration?
  Ask your LINTEL questions on the LINTEL newsgroups.  They are
off-topic on "comp.unix.admin".

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                        Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Router/Print server & LPRng.

Post by Anonymou » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 04:17:09

Quote:> RedHat uses LPRng (3.8.9, in my case it's the latest 3.8.15)
> but different filter scheme - magicfilter (I am trying to use
> ifhp, which seems to be, I guess, better). The problem is -
> I can not get anything on a printer even with REALLY limited
> printcap without filters at all:

> smclp:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpr.log:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
>         :rm=192.168.123.254:\
>         :rp=lp:

> I believe it should work at least somehow!

Have you tried adding the -D3 or -Dnetwork options to your
lpd/lpr/lpq commands? They will give you tons of debugging info.

Also, you might want to read the PrintingCookbook found at www.lprng.com.

Router/Print server & LPRng.

Post by Vadim V. Kouevd » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:20:25

> > RedHat uses LPRng (3.8.9, in my case it's the latest 3.8.15)
> > but different filter scheme - magicfilter (I am trying to use
> > ifhp, which seems to be, I guess, better). The problem is -
> > I can not get anything on a printer even with REALLY limited
> > printcap without filters at all:

> > smclp:\
> >         :lf=/var/log/lpr.log:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
> >         :rm=192.168.123.254:\
> >         :rp=lp:

> > I believe it should work at least somehow!

> Have you tried adding the -D3 or -Dnetwork options to your
> lpd/lpr/lpq commands? They will give you tons of debugging info.

> Also, you might want to read the PrintingCookbook found at www.lprng.com.

Surely done both. I am not exactly new to LPRng. But... Everything
seems to work on linux side just ... printer doesn't print!

Router/Print server & LPRng.

Post by Dominik Juszczy » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 04:38:40

Quote:> Hi all!

> I compiled and assembled my Linux (Linux From Scratch modified)
> and am pretty happy with it. But I got a problem - I can not
> setup LPRng from scratch!

> I am using SMC Barricade 7008BR as DSL Router/Print server.
> Printing works from win laptop and another computer with RH-7.3

> RedHat uses LPRng (3.8.9, in my case it's the latest 3.8.15)
> but different filter scheme - magicfilter (I am trying to use
> ifhp, which seems to be, I guess, better). The problem is -
> I can not get anything on a printer even with REALLY limited
> printcap without filters at all:

> smclp:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpr.log:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
>         :rm=192.168.123.254:\
>         :rp=lp:

> I believe it should work at least somehow!

> Anyone has similar experience or working similar setup
> and care to share?

test

1. LPRng & Samba, Linux print sr

Hello,

        I was wondering if anyone has had any luck in setting up a RedHat
5.2 box running LPRng (see www.astart.com for more info) and Samba as a
print servers for Windows clients?  None here so far.

Thanks,

2. AudioFile (?!)

3. lprng and printing to remote server

4. pipeing images

5. lprng && apsfilter?

6. Kmail question (or general email question).

7. Linux print client & SCO Unix print server

8. routing X11 through a firewall .... wooops !

9. problem w/lprng && apsfilter

10. HPDJ500C/LPRng/ifhp/apsfilter-LPRng

11. Advanced Print & File Server co-existing with NT Servers ?

12. Router and Print Server?