what is the newest kernel version?

Post by 1CMC3.. » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>        What is the newest of linux kernel version? Where can I get the
>package of "procs"?

>--

     The two latest kernel versions is 1.2.13 - stable kernel and 1.3.62 -
development kernel. You can get the procps package from the main Linux
directory at one of the sunsite mirrors in system/Status/ps as procps-0.99.
tgz

Curtiss

1. Newest kernel version to fix memory problems...

: At one point, 11 mb worth of buffers were shown as being used and I thought
: that it had to do with playing audio cd's through my cdrom.  So I stopped
: doing that.  It didn't help.  So I unmounted all nfs file-systems.  Ditto.

: I'm stumped.  It seems that the kernel should return all alloced memory to the
: general memory pool after a process terminates even if that process never freed
: the memory itself.  So I tried mallocing a meg or so and exiting, but that did
: not seem to be the cause.

Effectively buffers ARE the general memory pool!

Any 'unused' memory in Linux is allocated to the buffer cache.  When a program
requires extra memory (eg you startup Emacs) then the cache is shrunk by
enough to allocate the required memory.

This has been discussed ad nauseum these past few weeks....
--

rgds
Stephen

2. Linux locks up

3. Which version of Linux has newest kernel and is stable?

4. Sector# -> File?

5. Newest kernel version?

6. Socket

7. Looking for newest kernel versions

8. X respawning too quickly

9. Newest Version of Linux Kernel!!!

10. Q: What's the newest version of Amanda ???

11. Where to find the newest version of COPS or similar security checking tools?

12. newest version of tar

13. Newest Version of Linux