Automount/autofs attempts to mount partitions on its own...

Automount/autofs attempts to mount partitions on its own...

Post by Jeffrey J. Kosows » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:45:21

I am using 'autofs' to automatically mount my cdrom, dvd, zip, and Jaz
drives.
However, at times 'autofs' seems to try to mount the filesystems even
when they are not being referenced, particularly during startup and
shutdown.

Since the removable drives often don't have media in them, this
activity results in a cluttering of my syslog and console messages
with errors due to lack of media and the ability to perform the
automount.

Why is automount trying to mount these partitions even when not asked?
How can I stop/avoid this behavior?

I am running autofs 3.1.7 under a pretty standard RH7.3 system.
The automount partitions are all mounted off of /automount.

Thanks,
Jeff

Automount/autofs attempts to mount partitions on its own...

Post by Brett E. Dufaul » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:36:41

Quote:> Why is automount trying to mount these partitions even when not asked?
> How can I stop/avoid this behavior?

If you're using the KDE desktop, it's probably autorun (not automount)
that's causing your headache.  Autorun polls the CD-ROM drive at fixed
intervals (1 second, IIRC), just in case you might've inserted a CD-ROM.

Quick test:  check if you've got an Autorun.desktop file in your
~/.kde/Autostart directory.  If so, delete it.  Log out, log back in again,
see if the CD-ROM drive is nice and quiet now.

If not, just copy /etc/skel/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop back into your
~/.kde/Autostart/ directory, log out, log in again, and autorun will be
back to normal.

The potential downside to disabling autorun with KDE is that CDs won't be
automatically mounted anymore.  (Autorun is the program that does that for
you.)

HTH!
--Brett

Automount/autofs attempts to mount partitions on its own...

Post by Jeffrey J. Kosows » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:12:10

Quote:> If you're using the KDE desktop, it's probably autorun (not automount)
> that's causing your headache.  Autorun polls the CD-ROM drive at fixed
> intervals (1 second, IIRC), just in case you might've inserted a CD-ROM.

> Quick test:  check if you've got an Autorun.desktop file in your
> ~/.kde/Autostart directory.  If so, delete it.  Log out, log back in again,
> see if the CD-ROM drive is nice and quiet now.

> If not, just copy /etc/skel/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop back into your
> ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory, log out, log in again, and autorun will be
> back to normal.

I am running 'gnome' and not KDE. I do however have the
~/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop' in my home directory as a vestige
from my initial install.

Also, not only my CDs, but also my zip and dos drive seem to get
automounted. Finally, the automount seems to occur mostly at boot and
shutdown so it seems to be driven by some system level event rather
than by a user deskop event.

Any thoughts??

1. autofs mounting dirs under autofs mounted dirs.

I have two directories that I'd like to automount.

server:/home/username
server:/secure/username

I'd like them to show up as:

/home/username, and
/home/username/secure respectively.

I've got the first one working fine - it's getting that subdirectory one
to work that's troubling me.

If I create the directory, I can manually mount it, so I'm assuming
autofs can handle it and that my problem lies in my auto.* files.

What's the best way to do this?

If
username        -rw     server:/home/username
is a valid /etc/auto.home entry, then is this one:
username/secure -ro     server:/secure/username ?

Or do I need to do something funky with auto.master and create an
auto.secure, or a whole bunch of auto.user? (tried this and it didn't
seem to work).

Thanks.

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 2 of 6)

3. autofs, automount, and mount options

4. VPN and users' home computer security

5. HELP with autofs and NIS: How to override mount options on all mount points?

6. Is there a JVM for non-Intel based Linux boxes?

7. BUG?: bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.7 breaks automount/autofs

8. How much should I get payed??

9. Q: Setting off automount, automountd, autofs

10. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

11. Terminating Automount (autofs)

12. autofs/automount doesnt work

13. autofs vs. Solaris automount configuration file format