Enabling DMA for EIDE on an i845 Mobo on SuSE 8.0

Enabling DMA for EIDE on an i845 Mobo on SuSE 8.0

Post by dav » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 06:33:34

Hi all:

Got an Abit IT7 motherboard, which uses Intel's 845E chipset, and I'm
trying to get DMA turned on for the HD, a Western Digital WD1200JB,
and SuSE 8.0 Pro won't flip the damn bit. It just says "can't enable
DMA on hda1." This is a brand new hard drive and motherboard, and it
should be able to do DMA in its sleep. I've gone so far as to
re-install the OS, but am still hitting the same roadblock. I already
have the 80-pin cable installed, so it isn't that, and as far as I can
tell, there aren't any funky BIOS settings getting in the way.

Getting kind of desparate, so any help is appreciated. I'm going to
pre-emptively apologize for cross-posting over on alt.os.linux.suse,
but I've got to get this thing up and running soon or my butt's in a
sling.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Cheers,

Dave

Enabling DMA for EIDE on an i845 Mobo on SuSE 8.0

Post by Allen Gillila » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:50:39

try using the 2.4.20_pre11 kernel.  Its development for now, but once
2.4.20 is stable then use that and it should be working.

here's my post on the solution i found:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dma+%2Bi845+%2Blinux&hl=en&lr=&ie=U...

good luck.

> Hi all:

> Got an Abit IT7 motherboard, which uses Intel's 845E chipset, and I'm
> trying to get DMA turned on for the HD, a Western Digital WD1200JB,
> and SuSE 8.0 Pro won't flip the damn bit. It just says "can't enable
> DMA on hda1." This is a brand new hard drive and motherboard, and it
> should be able to do DMA in its sleep. I've gone so far as to
> re-install the OS, but am still hitting the same roadblock. I already
> have the 80-pin cable installed, so it isn't that, and as far as I can
> tell, there aren't any funky BIOS settings getting in the way.

> Getting kind of desparate, so any help is appreciated. I'm going to
> pre-emptively apologize for cross-posting over on alt.os.linux.suse,
> but I've got to get this thing up and running soon or my butt's in a
> sling.

> Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

> Cheers,

> Dave

1. SuSE 8.0 and DMA mode for harddisks

Hi!

I have problems setting the DMA mode for my harddisks with hdparm. I
have SuSE 8.0 installed on my system consisting of a GA-8IHXP
mainboard and an IBM harddisk on the RAID controller on IDE3. But to
set the DMA mode for my CDROM on IDE1 doesnt work too. All what i get
is an error:

My system is very slow, when reading/writing to the harddisk or
CDROM, so that the mouse cursor will hang (on a system with 1.8 GHz
P4). Can you help me? Does i have to compile a newer kernel?

  greetings,   Bruce

--
Awaron AG, Steinh?userstrasse 12, D-76135 Karlsruhe
Tel: 0721/15 109-0    Fax: 0721/15 109-99

2. 2.6 automounter oddity

3. I845 Grafikchip unter SuSE 9.1

4. ? Backup Software

5. Suse 7.3 install hangs on P4 i845

6. PPP to NT RAS w/ dial back

7. Upgrading from S.u.S.E. 7.0 to Suse 8.0

8. Apache 1.3.9: File does not exist: path-to-existing-file

9. Intel 815e mobo, Arco DupliDisk 2 raid 1card, and DMA problems

10. Help needed enabling the game port on a mobo w/ integrated sound

11. Help: Intel D815EEA mobo and RedHat 8.0

12. Is Ultra DMA EIDE (Fast ATA-2) on Intel 430TX chipset supported?

13. VIA chipset mobo--will it run OS/2 and Suse 6.2?