Video on Linux

Post by Mike » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I want to do some basic video programming on Linux RedHat 5.2.  Does
anyone out there know how to do this?  Basically I'm looking for the
equivalent of how to flip the video mode to 13h how we used to do in
DOS.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  If you could plz. e-mail
me.  I am using gcc or g++, I would like some header info and function
names.  I am new at linux but have been doing graphics programming for
about 2 years.  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help.  Thanks all.

Loki (aka Killing_Joke).

1. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

Hi. I have been using my new video card (Leadtek WinFast A250 LE TD
(MyVIVO Edition; GeForce4 Ti 4200 with 128 MB) in Windows XP
Professional SP1 to understand how its Video In and TV Out works. So
far, they work and I am enjoying these "addicting" features. I also
set them up in Red Hat Linux 7.2 (compiled Kernel 2.4.19) as well
(same system -- I dual boot).

After reading the Linux driver README file from NVIDIA, I noticed the
TV output cannot be turned on and off easily like Windows' option. Did
I understand that I have to restart X server to enable/disable this
feature? Isn't there a program to control without restarting X server?
I don't use the TV output all the time to watch videos and rebooting X
server will be a hassle. I also want to keep the TV showing videos
(e.g., MPEG) while my monitor is using desktop. Basically, it is like
Matrox's dualhead setup.

NVIDIA documentation said nothing about video in. I have the video
card hooked up to a VCR (hooked up to a small TV) so I can
capture/record stuff on my computer. I also have the VCR's stereo RCA
cable to my SB Live's Line In so I can use my decent speaker setup
(Klipsch Promedia). I researched and found rivatv. I installed and it
worked (have to run modprobe rivatv after loading X server or else I
will run into problems with xawtv).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
   "I do not believe that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless
 and sterile battalion of the ants. It is the excitement of becoming--

   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

2. netscape

3. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X

4. PRINTING PROBLEM (NEWBIE)

5. Video Subtitling (was Re: Video Editing on Linux?)

6. How to add many users in NIS+?

7. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

8. RTcmix: a computer music environment

9. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

10. Can Linux Feed Multiple Video Chips Locally to support several Video Monitors ?

11. digital video/S-video/Linux ???

12. Any video-grabbers for Linux (>1 video source) ?

13. look for apg8x, video in, 128Mb, linux compat gamers video card