Why can't I record data CD-RW's???

Post by Victor S. Mill » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:16:02

I have a S&F ATAPI Speedwriter Plus.  I'm running both RH 7.0 Linux,
and Windows '98 on a dual boot.  I had firmware level 1.40, since then
I have upgraded to JVC Firmware level 1.46 (the drive is a repackaged
JVC XR-W4080).  I have successfully recorded audio CD's (both before
and after the firmware upgrade, using eroaster on Linux (it is a
front-end for cdrecord, mkisofs, etc.).  These have been on CD-R's.
When I try to record data, everything appears to be functioning ok --
according to the progress messages: there are no underruns, the disk
is successfully fixated, etc.  I have a very long trace from cdrecord
which I won't burden the group with, but send to anyone who would be
kind enough to try to help.  I've tried both Memorex CD-RW Platinum
and IOMEGA Zip CD 650 CD-RW Rewritable media, with the same results.
After the first failure (all of them have the same symptoms -- see
below) I tried it in steps -- I used mkisofs to make an ISO9660 image,
which I verified in Linux -- the files were there -- they were mp3's
-- I could play them from the image without problem.  I then used
cdrecord to burn the CD (at speed 2).  It said that it was making
progress and fixated the disk, with no errors.  However, when I tried
to mount the disk in the CDRW drive I got a message (after a long
pause):

Wrong Media Type

When I inserted it into my Mitsumi CD-ROM drive it said:

No media present.

I also tried this in Win '98 usind Adaptec Easy CD creator (which can
record ISO images).  After 1/2 hour and progress messages saying that
everything was ok, the CD's couldn't be read either.  In windows in
the CDRW drive, there was a long pause (almost a minute while the
green light of the drive flashed on and off), and then it showed an
empty disk.  On the CDROM drive it claimed that there was nothing in
the drive.  I'm really at a loss to figure out what's going on here.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

I did notice one peculiar thing with cdrecord: When trying to get the
ATIP info on the disks it just returns -- unknown manufacturer (in
fact unknown everything).  However, on Win '98 I have a program I
found called cdrinfo, which is able to return plausible looking
manufacturer's data on 3 different kinds of Media, all of which
cdrecord can't.

Here's version info:

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg Schilling
mkisofs 1.13 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

        Victor

1. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

Hi,

I have a SCSI-CD-RW drive yamaha 4416s in my linux box
(4x write, 4x re-write, 16x read)
along with a SCSI CD-ROM TEAC CD-532S (/dev/scd0)

1) How to get it work with CD-RW's?
2) How to erase CD-RW's?
3) How to (re-)write?

I have cdrecord and xcdroast installed.

Many questions. I know

Any help is welcome.
Carsten

2. HELP: sound driver corrupts my ext2 file system!

3. Where to Find 'xcdroast' +'cdwrite' for CD-RW ?

4. Micropolis 1578 disk geometery info needed

5. FTP'ed files default to '-rw-r--r--' i need '-rw-------'

6. NFS And WinNT / Win98???

7. why can't I set 'rw' permissions to my msdos partition?

8. broken symlinks and tape restore

9. Can't Burn CD-RW's

10. General Question Regarding CD-R and CD-RW Recording

11. Panasonic CD-RW 7585 locks up computer on CD-R recording

12. Can't mount CD-RW or Music CD.

13. HELP: With CD-R + CD-RW, can't see either