openGL supported on Linux?

Post by Michael Scott Vel » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Is the openGL graphics libraries supported on Linux?  How about on
Slackware 2.3 ?

Scott

openGL supported on Linux?

Post by Gregory Prop » Mon, 18 Sep 1995 04:00:00

800-580-1160.  BTW that's just one vendor that advertises in Linux Journal,
there might be others...

There is also the Mesa library which I have tried (unlike the actual commercial
version I mentioned above - the company is "Portable Graphics").  Mesa will
compile most of the Silicon Graphics example programs and the results are quite
impressive.  Mesa is freely available on the 'net somewhere.  One thing is - it
seemed a little slow, maybe that's the example programs I don't know.

openGL supported on Linux?

Post by Mumit Kh » Mon, 18 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>There is also the Mesa library which I have tried (unlike the actual commercial
>version I mentioned above - the company is "Portable Graphics").  Mesa will
>compile most of the Silicon Graphics example programs and the results are quite
>impressive.  Mesa is freely available on the 'net somewhere.  One thing is - it
>seemed a little slow, maybe that's the example programs I don't know.

For more info, point your W3 browser towards Brian Paul's Mesa page**. The
following info should give an idea of what (not) to expect from Mesa. Kudos
to Brian for a great piece of work.

** http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~brianp/Mesa.html

======================

  FEATURES

   The following features are fully implemented:

     * all point, line and polygon primitives
     * all model and view transformations
     * lighting
     * smooth shading
     * depth buffering
     * clipping (against user clip planes and view volume)
     * accumulation buffer
     * alpha testing/blending
     * stencil buffer
     * dithering
     * logic operations
     * evaluators (curves and surfaces)
     * feedback/selection
     * fog/depth cuing
     * polygon/line stippling
     * read/write/copy pixels
     * tk and aux libraries for X11
     * context switching (multiple windows)
     * RGB mode simulated in color mapped windows (8-bit and monochrome)
     * Support for Mark Kilgard's GLUT
     * SGI's blending extensions
     * a set of pseudo-GLX functions

   The following features are mostly/partially implemented:

     * display lists (~90% complete)
     * texture mapping (~50% complete)
     * the GLU utility library
     * NURBS

   The following features are not implemented at all:

     * antialiasing
     * glPixelZoom

  HOW TO GET MESA

   Mesa is available by anonymous ftp from:

   Host: iris.ssec.wisc.edu

   Directory: pub/Mesa/

   Filename: Mesa-1.2.2.tar.Z or Mesa-1.2.2.tar.gz

   For WWW users: iris.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/Mesa

regards,

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/