01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 from lilo? (on RedHat 4.0 & 4.1)

01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 from lilo? (on RedHat 4.0 & 4.1)

Post by Rick Sperk » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have been using linux since SLS was the best and I have never seen nor
heard of anything like this.  I am using RedHat-4.1 (upgraded from
4.0 last night to see if it would fix my problem).  I have a 1.2G EIDE
hard drive on /dev/hda(1) and a 1.0G Seagate SCSI on /dev/sda(1-6).  My
root partition is on /dev/sda1, but lilo boot area is installed on
/dev/hda.  My Seagate's SCSI ID is set to 0.  I am basically using the
default lilo.conf that RedHat set up for me.

I installed RedHat (4.0) two weeks ago and everything went fine.  I had
the general problems referenced in the errata, but other than that no
problems.  I compiled a new kernel to get IP masquerading, and it also
worked fine for a couple of days.  Now when I turn on my machine I do
not even get a lilo boot prompt it just scrolls with "01"'s as far as I
can tell forever.

I had no crashes, or anything else the last time my computer booted
correctly.  I have reinstalled lilo innumerous times.  I have
reinstalled RedHats stock kernel (for the Ultrastor I use).  Still no
luck.

It doesn't seem like the kernel, because I am not getting the lilo boot
prompt.

Has anyone seen this?  If so I would REALLY appreciate any help you
could give me.

If you can respond I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me, as my
service provider does not always get all messages.

Thank you very much,
Rick Sperko

Post by jbuch.. » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: problems.  I compiled a new kernel to get IP masquerading, and it also
: worked fine for a couple of days.  Now when I turn on my machine I do
: not even get a lilo boot prompt it just scrolls with "01"'s as far as I
: can tell forever.

I just ran into the same problem with RedHat 4.0. I built a new
machine before Christmas, and my old one had been sitting since
then(partially disassembled, I didn't put get new floppy drives or a
new CDROM, they were in the new machine, but no changes to the HD, MB
or disk controller).

Last weekend I put it back together, tried to boot it, and got "L 01
01..."

The LILO documentation said that this means that the BIOS doesn't know
how to talk to the hard drive. that didn't make any sense, since it
worked fine a month or so ago.

I did an altavista search and pretty much turned up the same thing.

Here's how I fixed it with no attempt to explain what happened:

First I booted it with a boot disk made with dd and rdev some months
ago. I'd include details on making the disk, but other than that, and
that it was simple and worked the first try, I can't remember.

Since it booted, I assumed that the problem was limited to LILO. I
reinstalled LILO after double checking /etc/lilo.conf (can't be too
sure).

After this it booted fine from the HD. I can't explain what went wrong
while the machine sat, but it works now.

: If you can respond I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me, as my
: service provider does not always get all messages.

I'll try and remember to mail a copy.

=================== http://www.iquest.net/~jbuchana ======================
"Is it true, Sen. Bedfellow, that your wife rides with bikers?" -Milo Bloom

Post by Michael D. Br » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

| : worked fine for a couple of days.  Now when I turn on my machine I do
| : not even get a lilo boot prompt it just scrolls with "01"'s as far as I
| : can tell forever.
|
| I just ran into the same problem with RedHat 4.0. I built a new
| machine before Christmas, and my old one had been sitting since
| then(partially disassembled, I didn't put get new floppy drives or a
| new CDROM, they were in the new machine, but no changes to the HD, MB
| or disk controller).
| Last weekend I put it back together, tried to boot it, and got "L 01
| 01..."
| Since it booted, I assumed that the problem was limited to LILO. I
| reinstalled LILO after double checking /etc/lilo.conf (can't be too
| sure).

I think this might be caused when you create a new kernel, but forget
to run lilo again.  That is, you can't just overwrite your old kernel
because lilo has to grab information such as the size of the kernel
file so it knows how much to load into memory and such (or something
along those lines.)  This would explain why rerunning your lilo fixed
the problem.

--
(   Michael D. Bray     | 'I know engineers, they love to change things.'  )

(-----------------------|--------------------------------------------------)
(      GO MAGIC!!!      |  http://skynet.oir.ucf.edu/~mike  |     Peace    )

Post by jbuch.. » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: I think this might be caused when you create a new kernel, but forget
: to run lilo again.  That is, you can't just overwrite your old kernel
: because lilo has to grab information such as the size of the kernel
: file so it knows how much to load into memory and such (or something
: along those lines.)

Right.

: This would explain why rerunning your lilo fixed
: the problem.

Nope.

I didn't build a new kernel.

I just let the machine sit unused for a couple months (while I used my
new primary machine), then tried to boot it.

Fortunately it was easy to fix, but I'm still puzzled as to what went
wrong during storage.

=================== http://www.iquest.net/~jbuchana ======================
"Give me the potion," I said, "If the worst comes to the worst it will save
 having my hair cut, and that I think is one of the most hateful duties of a
 civilized man" -H.G. Wells, The New Accelerator

Post by William Burr » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: I didn't build a new kernel.

: I just let the machine sit unused for a couple months (while I used my
: new primary machine), then tried to boot it.

: Fortunately it was easy to fix, but I'm still puzzled as to what went
: wrong during storage.

Did you check the LILO README file?  It contains lists (buried deep in
the text) of LILO errors and disk errors reported by LILO.  For some odd
reason, error 0x01 is listed as "illegal command" - BIOS unsupported
geometry. :|  Is it possible that a file got corrupted somewhere?

Here is the error list for LILO:

  (<nothing>)  No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't installed
    or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't active.
   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started,
    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error
    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.
   LIL   The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't load
    the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
    media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
   LIL?   The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect
    address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or by
    moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.
   LILO   All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded.

Here are the first few entries of the disk error codes:

Disk error codes
- - - - - - - -

If the BIOS signals an error when LILO is trying to load a boot image, the
respective error code is displayed. The following BIOS error codes are
known:

   0x00   "Internal error". This code is generated by the sector read
    routine of the LILO boot loader whenever an internal inconsistency is
    detected. This might be caused by corrupt files. Try re-building the
    map file. Another possible cause for this error are attempts to access
    cylinders beyond 1024 while using the LINEAR option. See section "BIOS
    restrictions" for more details and for how to solve the problem.
   0x01   "Illegal command". This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
    indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
    BIOS. See also "Warning: BIOS drive 0x<number> may not be accessible"
    in section "Warnings".
   0x02   "Address mark not found". This usually indicates a media problem.
    Try again several times.
   0x03   "Write-protected disk". This should only occur on write
    operations.

--
William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1997 William Burrow

Post by Brian Kimba » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>: I didn't build a new kernel.

>: I just let the machine sit unused for a couple months (while I used my
>: new primary machine), then tried to boot it.

>: Fortunately it was easy to fix, but I'm still puzzled as to what went
>: wrong during storage.

Yeah, that was prettty cool when i got the same thing.  I
had just removed my LiNUX drive and I suppose Lilo couldn't find
it and decided to complain.  A quick fdisk /mbr fixed it.

        brian "whoa, this slrn thing is cool" kimball

1. lilo li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 solution

please, no flames, I am just saying what worked for me.

I went from Caldera 1.3 and Idiots Guide Book (steep learning curve there),
to Caldera 2.2 and Using Caldera Open Linux 2.2 and then a Cheapbytes 2.3
Caldera disk.  System was working the way I wanted it to.  I was having fun
with a dual boot that saw less and less of Windows, days without.  Months
pass

I lent my computer to mom for two months as I moved up to Canada, I unhooked
hdb so she would not have to be dual booting, let Doze98 overwrite the mbr,
but hey, I got a floppy with LILO.

Upon bringing computer back, and reinstalling hdb, I kept running into the
li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 due to a probable geometry mismatch.  fdisked
mbr, reinstalled, yanked out sound and network cards, disabled com irq's,
Tried with Caldera 2.3, 2.2, phat linux which is an older mandrake that will
run in fat32, swapped drives back and forth between primary and secondary
(made sure jumpers were correct on hdd's) nothing works.  I keep getting li
and then a cascade of 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 sweeping down the screen.
I was going to try nuni - finally I pulled out an old FreeBSD 3.2 cd-rom
that I had played with on a 486 - it went on sweet as silk.   Dual booted
flawlessly.

Downloaded boot floppy disks of FreeBSD 3.4 and proceeded to ftp  /bin and
/doc from a mirror.  This is on a cable modem mind you, I was not expecting
to be able to do that.  My CD-rom for 3.4 came the next day and I finished
it up.  I don't have mail working yet, but lynx is working quite well as is
ftp.

I intend to reinstall Linux one day in the future.  I have a new Mandrake to
try out.  But it is going to share a swap file with FreeBSD and use the
FreeBSD loader.

Shalom,  Mark Rogness

2. tar and gz files

3. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

4. Problem on installing Slackware 3.4 to Zeos Pantera 90

5. SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

6. Apple/Either Talk Network Protocal

7. lilo won't start, sez: L01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

8. init failing to shutdown system

9. LILO 01 01 01 01 01 01....

10. Linux installation problems - 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

11. L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

12. Trying to boot, just get "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..."

13. L 01 01 01 01 01