Need Serial ONLY Linux

Post by Edward I. Com » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 06:12:41

I am working on a project where Linux will be working
on an ISA platform with NO monitor or keyboard. The
intent is to ONLY utilize a serial console. I think
that I'll be able to handle most of the Linux changes,
but if anyone else has implemented a SERIAL ONLY LINUX, I'd
love to here from you. My biggest concern is the BIOS.
Even if LILO, the kernel and /dev/console are all set
up to do serial only, if CMOS were to require modification,
I'd still have to drag in a monitor and keyboard. Does
anyone know of any  companies selling ISA card
processors e/w a BIOS that expects to talk to serial
as its primary I/O??. This project will use passive
ISA backplane. Please respond via E-Mail to:

--

1. Linux serial port communication - Need help!!!!!!!!!

I am currently writing a program under Linux which needs to
communicate to
the serial port. All the program needs to do is send a string of 0's
and
1's. I'd like for these values to represent a low and a high when
being
outputted to the serial port, instead of the ascii integer value of
'0'
and  '1'. It appears that my simple program outputs the ascii integer
value of the string being passed out, but that is not what I want it
do. All I want it to do is pass out a high when it sees a 1, and a low
it sees
a 0.

I was hoping someone has had experience with this in the past and will
be willing to help me out on this.

My simple program is below:

#include <termios.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/signal.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

int main()
{
  int fd;

  // Open the port
  fd = open("/dev/ttyS0",  O_WRONLY);

  // Set the speed and other if req
  system("stty 2400 </dev/ttyS0");

  // There is a better way than this
  if(fd == -1)
  {
    perror("open");
    exit(1);
  }

  // Send a message
  if(write(fd, "0", 10) == 10)
  {
    perror("write");
    exit(1);
  }

  close(fd);

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Does Linux not support more than 64 MB ram?

3. Linux C Serial Guru Needed

4. Tim Miller

5. Need good serial communication prog. for Linux

6. /dev/port - how does it work?

7. Need Help DOS<->Linux via Serial

8. Slackware ftp problem

9. Need help getting Wyse Serial "Pods" working under Linux

10. Help needed to attach pppd (Linux) to serial driver

11. Need Help on Setting Up Linux As X-terminal Through Serial Line

12. need help w/ Hayes ESP serial card and Linux

13. need help - setting up serial terminal and modem on IPX running Red Hat Linux