/usr/bin/{reset,clear) - clear does not work even after reset

/usr/bin/{reset,clear) - clear does not work even after reset

Post by Lars E. Th » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

After spilling a binary file on an xterm screen, I run /usr/bin/reset to
clear things up (get normal character set back instead of the
hierglyphs).

But then /usr/bin/clear still is not working, and command
line editing is a bit flaky, too (for example, backspace does not remove
characters on the screen, just passes over them. They do get deleted
from the buffer, though).

I manually ran stty -a on a known good xterm and the bad xterm and
adjusted 2-3 settings that were different, but still no luck.

What else could it be?? Thanks ...

----

Speaking for myself only

Post by Paul Kimo » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> After spilling a binary file on an xterm screen, I run /usr/bin/reset to
> clear things up (get normal character set back instead of the
> hierglyphs).

> But then /usr/bin/clear still is not working, and command
> line editing is a bit flaky, too (for example, backspace does not remove
> characters on the screen, just passes over them. They do get deleted
> from the buffer, though).

> I manually ran stty -a on a known good xterm and the bad xterm and
> adjusted 2-3 settings that were different, but still no luck.

I don't know about the ultimate cause, but often I need to do

  Control-Button2 -> "Do full reset"

to restore complete sanity.

--
|||    "It was not granted you to complete the task, and           |||
|||     yet you may not give it up."      --Rabbi Tarfon           |||

/usr/bin/{reset,clear) - clear does not work even after reset

Post by Lars E. Th » Mon, 06 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  Control-Button2 -> "Do full reset"

Thanks, Paul. What window manager is this in? If I knew perhaps I
could reverse engineer what it is doing under the covers ...

----

Speaking for myself only

Post by Frank Sweetse » Mon, 06 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >  Control-Button2 -> "Do full reset"

> Thanks, Paul. What window manager is this in? If I knew perhaps I
> could reverse engineer what it is doing under the covers ...

it's a feature of xterm, not of the wm.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.1.108    i586  | at public servers
"Sir, you are employing a double negative." --Spock "Eh?" --Oxmix

Post by Paul Kimo » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>>>  Control-Button2 -> "Do full reset"
>> Thanks, Paul. What window manager is this in? If I knew perhaps I
>> could reverse engineer what it is doing under the covers ...
> it's a feature of xterm, not of the wm.

Yup.  Put the cursor in the main part of the xterm, not on your WM's
border/toolbar/whatnot.