fingerd

Post by wes.. » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

How do I turn this off for external users?
The man is unhelpful, and the rc.d scripts do not show
where it is turned on.

Thanks Joel

fingerd

Post by Ron Grig » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> How do I turn this off for external users?
> The man is unhelpful, and the rc.d scripts do not show
> where it is turned on.

> Thanks Joel

See your /etc/inetd.conf file.  There are some entries in it that  you
can comment out to increase security.  Once you have made your changes
you will have to do a "kill -HUP pid#" (pid# = inetd process ID number)
to restart the inetd daemon (or simply reboot) for the changes to take
effect.

|Grigg Consulting - 2009 Westwood Ave. - Springdale, Ar - 72762  |

fingerd

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>How do I turn this off for external users?
>The man is unhelpful, and the rc.d scripts do not show
>where it is turned on.

man 5 hosts_access

fingerd

Post by James Va » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> How do I turn this off for external users?
> The man is unhelpful, and the rc.d scripts do not show
> where it is turned on.

If you're using the tcpd security wrapper in /etc/inetd.conf you
could try something like:

#/etc/hosts.allow
in.fingerd: LOCAL
ALL: LOCAL

#/etc/hosts.deny
ALL: ALL

Better though, is to use cfingerd from sunsite.

-eof-

fingerd

Post by Brian Stempe » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

writes:
|> How do I turn this off for external users?
|> The man is unhelpful, and the rc.d scripts do not show
|> where it is turned on.
|>
|> Thanks Joel

Comment out the finger section in your /etc/inetd.conf.  Then kill -HUP
the inetd process.  This disables remote fingering, but people on the
local system can still do it.

-Brian

Brian Stempel
Network Administration // Imagenet, Inc.

fingerd

Post by Brian Stempe » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:|> () writes:

|> >How do I turn this off for external users?
|> >The man is unhelpful, and the rc.d scripts do not show
|> >where it is turned on.
|>
|> man 5 hosts_access

What?!  Why make things difficult?  Just comment out the finger
section in inetd.conf and HUP the inetd process.  The rc.d
scripts don't show where it's turned on because the scripts
don't turn 'fingerd' on, at least not directly.  The scripts
start inetd, the Internet daemon, which listens on certain well
known ports (mentioned in /etc/services), and then spawns
processes based on connect requests to those ports according to
/etc/inetd.conf.

-Brian

Brian Stempel
Network Administration // Imagenet, Inc.

1. GNU Fingerd: Can I make the output look like Sun fingerd?

The subject says it all, I want the output of a finger on my Linux box
to be in the same format as the output on my solaris machine?

Is there an easy way?
--
Mr. Guy Smiley
--

2. After I added 4 Mbytes, X11 slowed down!!!!

3. Fingerd broke with 1.1.64

4. Hardware Modems and WinModems - an interesting data point

5. fingerd with NIS+

6. Zero copy

7. Is Sol 2.3's fingerd really this brain-damaged?!?!?

8. redhat kernel 2.2.16-3 and change_root error

9. SUMMARY: How to make fingerd send phone # and office

10. Source for fingerd

11. in.fingerd

12. bad fingerd?

13. A safety wrapper for in.fingerd