How to import delimited data in StarCalc?

How to import delimited data in StarCalc?

Post by t.. » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm currently using StarOffice 5.1 (for Linux).
Does StarCalc have an import manager that would enable
the users to specify the type of delimeter used in
a text file (e.g. white space,comman,semi-colon,custom etc.)?
This would be a VERY nice feature for those who use
spreadsheets for scientific purpose (ie. various forms
of ASCII data need to be imported into a spreadsheet).
I use StarOffice under linux (RH6.0). Since I could not
figure out how to do this under StartOffice (I need to
import white space delimited data - currently it simply
imports it as a text document), I have to reboot in
Win98 (yuk!!), import it into $excel$ and then use
staroffice to read the excel file. This is clearly not
an efficient way to do things.
Why don't I stick to Excel (in win98 - yuk!)? Well...
all of my scientific software are designed for Linux.
Has anyone attempted to do this under StartOffice? Is
there such feature? Hopefully the next version would
have this.

Cheers,
Thas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Charles Sulliva » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I'm currently using StarOffice 5.1 (for Linux).
>Does StarCalc have an import manager that would enable
>the users to specify the type of delimeter used in
>a text file (e.g. white space,comman,semi-colon,custom etc.)?
>This would be a VERY nice feature for those who use
>spreadsheets for scientific purpose (ie. various forms
>of ASCII data need to be imported into a spreadsheet).
>I use StarOffice under linux (RH6.0). Since I could not
>figure out how to do this under StartOffice (I need to
>import white space delimited data - currently it simply
>imports it as a text document), I have to reboot in
>Win98 (yuk!!), import it into $excel$ and then use
>staroffice to read the excel file. This is clearly not
>an efficient way to do things.
>Why don't I stick to Excel (in win98 - yuk!)? Well...
>all of my scientific software are designed for Linux.
>Has anyone attempted to do this under StartOffice? Is
>there such feature? Hopefully the next version would
>have this.

>Cheers,
>Thas

I too was sorely disappointed to find that StarOffice could
not import my comma-delimited ASCII database files. And in my
case the database exceeded the 32000 record capacity of the
dinky spreadsheet program supplied as part of Microsoft Works.

Anyone with a solution, kindly post it to this newsgroup
for all to see.

How to import delimited data in StarCalc?

Post by Grega Breme » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

    You could both try

great newsgroups on that server.

    Lots of luck!

Cheers,

        Grega
-----------------
        Grega Bremec
        Vrbnje 60
        4240 Radovljica
        Slovenija
        +386 64 710 267
        ---------------------------

Post by G. Pollac » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> >Hello,

> >I'm currently using StarOffice 5.1 (for Linux).
> >Does StarCalc have an import manager that would enable
> >the users to specify the type of delimeter used in
> >a text file (e.g. white space,comman,semi-colon,custom etc.)?
> >This would be a VERY nice feature for those who use
> >spreadsheets for scientific purpose (ie. various forms
> >of ASCII data need to be imported into a spreadsheet).
> >I use StarOffice under linux (RH6.0). Since I could not
> >figure out how to do this under StartOffice (I need to
> >import white space delimited data - currently it simply
> >imports it as a text document), I have to reboot in
> >Win98 (yuk!!), import it into $excel$ and then use
> >staroffice to read the excel file. This is clearly not
> >an efficient way to do things.
> >Why don't I stick to Excel (in win98 - yuk!)? Well...
> >all of my scientific software are designed for Linux.
> >Has anyone attempted to do this under StartOffice? Is
> >there such feature? Hopefully the next version would
> >have this.

> >Cheers,
> >Thas

> I too was sorely disappointed to find that StarOffice could
> not import my comma-delimited ASCII database files. And in my
> case the database exceeded the 32000 record capacity of the
> dinky spreadsheet program supplied as part of Microsoft Works.

> Anyone with a solution, kindly post it to this newsgroup
> for all to see.

From the SO desktop, click on File|Open, and then select file type of
Text/StarCalc; this brings up a dialog box where you can tell SO what
the column separator is.
--
Gerald Pollack
Dept. of Biology, McGill University

Post by Charles Sulliva » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>> >Hello,

>> >I'm currently using StarOffice 5.1 (for Linux).
>> >Does StarCalc have an import manager that would enable
>> >the users to specify the type of delimeter used in
>> >a text file (e.g. white space,comman,semi-colon,custom etc.)?
>> >This would be a VERY nice feature for those who use
>> >spreadsheets for scientific purpose (ie. various forms
>> >of ASCII data need to be imported into a spreadsheet).
>> >I use StarOffice under linux (RH6.0). Since I could not
>> >figure out how to do this under StartOffice (I need to
>> >import white space delimited data - currently it simply
>> >imports it as a text document), I have to reboot in
>> >Win98 (yuk!!), import it into $excel$ and then use
>> >staroffice to read the excel file. This is clearly not
>> >an efficient way to do things.
>> >Why don't I stick to Excel (in win98 - yuk!)? Well...
>> >all of my scientific software are designed for Linux.
>> >Has anyone attempted to do this under StartOffice? Is
>> >there such feature? Hopefully the next version would
>> >have this.

>> >Cheers,
>> >Thas

>> I too was sorely disappointed to find that StarOffice could
>> not import my comma-delimited ASCII database files. And in my
>> case the database exceeded the 32000 record capacity of the
>> dinky spreadsheet program supplied as part of Microsoft Works.

>> Anyone with a solution, kindly post it to this newsgroup
>> for all to see.

>From the SO desktop, click on File|Open, and then select file type of
>Text/StarCalc; this brings up a dialog box where you can tell SO what
>the column separator is.

Ahah!  It works!  Thanks.

But drat, now I find that StarCalc is also limited to 32000 records.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

1. Importing delimited and xls files into StarCalc ???

Hi,
   I loaded StarOffice 5.1 and am having problems importing files
into spread sheets.  I searched on Cnet/searchlinux and news and
did not find any answers.  I did find a similar problem described
and an answer but it did not work for me as I'll describe.
  I have two problems:
   1. When I try to import a fairly simple .xls file.  I use File
- Autopilot - Microsoft Import and go through the dialogue to
convert .xls files.  I point the window to a dir I created where
I put in a few .xls files.  Then set in the dialogue box to
import as StarCalc 5 etc.  It starts to work - there are blue
squares walking across the bottom of the window then the whole
session faults out with no errors.  No converted files are found.

   2.  I try to import/open a comma delimited document.  I saw in
similar problem mentioned above that I should open the document
and set it to StarCalc and I should expect a dialogue to select
the delimiting char.  That does not happen.  I enter the doc and
path with a type of StarCalc and get no dialogue.  It also does
nothing.  No file gets opened.  I tried to open it as text but it
opens like its a .gif.
   I would guess that importing documents are possible but I
cannot find in help the way to do it or things on the net that
would suggest how to do it.   My install seemed to go well but it
certainly does not act the way that helped the person with the
similar problem i.e. to get a delimiter dialogue.
  ?? Any suggestions other than reload StarOffice?
David Kirkpatrick
Marlborough, MA

--

2. Apache: different names to the same content

3. dispatching data delimited with comma into a new line

4. Install

5. FORM CGI Available?-- to export comma delimited data to file

6. Wanted: modeDB text info for NEC 5FGp...

7. Parse irregular data, dump into delimited text file

8. Internal Robotics modem problem

9. Reformat Data to lines in pipe delimited

10. Tab delimited data files

11. dispatching data delimited with comma into a new line / space - tab remplacement

12. awk pipe delimited data -- and sed also (cpm)

13. Validate number of delimited data fields in records on UWIN vs. SunOS