Problem booting Linux from DOS

Post by David Jon » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I've got a curious problem when I sometimes boot up Linux from DOS
using Loadlin. About 50% of the time that I do this, I get to the
Linux login prompt, and occasionally even to the shell prompt, and
then the keyboard freezes up. I can't type anything at all, of course
cntl-alt-delete doesn't work, so I have to turn my machine off without
halting Linux first, not a good idea with Linux of course. The problem
seems to occur between 5 seconds and 60 seconds after I get the Linux
login prompt.

I'm using Loadlin 1.6 to boot to Linux (had the same problem with the
earlier 1.5 version as well), no special configuration options in the
command to exec loadlin, the commands I use in DOS are:

smartdrv /c
c:\lodlin16\loadlin c:\lodlin16\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb6 hdc=cdrom ro

My Linux kernel is 2.0.21 using ELF, and my Linux system uses the BSD
style system initialization (it was once a slackware distribution many
upgrades ago). I also use a common swap space for both Linux and DOS.

Has anybody got any suggestions about what could be causing this? or
heard of a similar problem?

Problem booting Linux from DOS

Post by Lord 4m » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've got a curious problem when I sometimes boot up Linux from DOS
>using Loadlin. About 50% of the time that I do this, I get to the
>Linux login prompt, and occasionally even to the shell prompt, and
>then the keyboard freezes up. I can't type anything at all, of course
>cntl-alt-delete doesn't work, so I have to turn my machine off without
>halting Linux first, not a good idea with Linux of course. The problem
>seems to occur between 5 seconds and 60 seconds after I get the Linux
>login prompt.

>I'm using Loadlin 1.6 to boot to Linux (had the same problem with the
>earlier 1.5 version as well), no special configuration options in the
>command to exec loadlin, the commands I use in DOS are:

>smartdrv /c
>c:\lodlin16\loadlin c:\lodlin16\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb6 hdc=cdrom ro

>My Linux kernel is 2.0.21 using ELF, and my Linux system uses the BSD
>style system initialization (it was once a slackware distribution many
>upgrades ago). I also use a common swap space for both Linux and DOS.

>Has anybody got any suggestions about what could be causing this? or
>heard of a similar problem?

 I've heard of people having this problem before. I have also heard some
suggest that Emm386.exe was the cause of this, and that is you comment it
out of your autoexec.bat, you won't have any more problems booting Linux
from DOS.

         _         _     _            _
/_ <> |  |>    /- <> |  <\/> .\  /

1. Booting Linux from Dos, problem with boot disk !

Hi,

I have a problem whereby I've installed Redhat Linux on a 1GB SCSI drive, no
problems there, but during installation it did not see the SCSI adapter.
Therefore I told it to use:

        aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

And everything installed fine. I created a boot floppy during the
installation as the SCSI adapter is not bootable. Only problem is that the
disk will not boot. It gets as far as outputing beginning of the LILO
message and then outputs 01 01 01 etc continuously.

My real question is, can I boot Linux from Dos using something like LOADLIN,
but be able to pass the SCSI adapter parameter detailed above. I don't seem
to be able to succeed beyond this point.

Shame really, coz I was looking forward to getting my teeth into Linux.

Hope you can help, thanks,

Dave

2. IP number changes default route?

3. PPP client/server

4. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

5. Can some one help; memory keeps filling up

6. Lilo boot problem: doesn't boot dos (invalid media type)

7. HELP! Linux won't boot anymore :(

8. Booting Linux from DOS 6.2 Multi-Boot...

9. Using a Dos boot disk to boot Linux

10. booting dos and linux (without boot disk) question

11. Lilo: Cannot boot DOS, but can boot Linux

12. does linux always boot from dos boot drive?