How do I make a shared object (.so) file?

How do I make a shared object (.so) file?

Post by Mark-Jason Domin » Wed, 27 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I want to install `arena', and the binary I have is expecting my
libjpeg to be dynamically loadable.  I have a statically linked
libjpeg.a, but no libjpeg.so.  I also have the sources, and I can
compile them and build a new libjpeg.a from scratch, but I don't know
how to make a dynamically loadable libjpeg.so.  What do I need to do?

How do I make a shared object (.so) file?

Post by Mitch DSou » Thu, 28 Sep 1995 04:00:00

-->
-->I want to install `arena', and the binary I have is expecting my
-->libjpeg to be dynamically loadable.  I have a statically linked
-->libjpeg.a, but no libjpeg.so.  I also have the sources, and I can
-->compile them and build a new libjpeg.a from scratch, but I don't know
-->how to make a dynamically loadable libjpeg.so.  What do I need to do?
-->
-->

You need to read the GCC-FAQ on ftp.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk /pub/linux or the URL
ftp://ftp.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk/pub/linux/GCC-FAQ.html

BTW: A precompiled binary of libjpeg.so is on ftp.mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk /pub/linux

Mitch