Do I need linux-2.2xx source in /usr/src?

Do I need linux-2.2xx source in /usr/src?

Post by Andrew Puruggan » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Do I need to keep the linux-2.2.13mdk source in /usr/src? I see a bunch
of subdirectories, and some *.h files in there that are taking up space.
Is it common to keep it in expanded form for say, compiling purposes or
something? Like the includes?

--
jazz  annandy AT dc DOT seflin DOT org
Registered linux user no. 164098

Do I need linux-2.2xx source in /usr/src?

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On 24 Jun 2000 17:16:00 GMT, Andrew Purugganan said:

Quote:>Do I need to keep the linux-2.2.13mdk source in /usr/src? I see a bunch
>of subdirectories, and some *.h files in there that are taking up space.
>Is it common to keep it in expanded form for say, compiling purposes or
>something? Like the includes?

You may need it for compiling things, especially the includes. Keeping
/usr/src/linux/.config is also a good idea.

Robie.
--

Post by Tom Hoffman » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Do I need to keep the linux-2.2.13mdk source in /usr/src? I see a
> bunch  of subdirectories, and some *.h files in there that are taking
> up space.  Is it common to keep it in expanded form for say, compiling
> purposes or  something? Like the includes?

If you ever plan/need to recompile your kernel you will need to have
the source code.

Post by spi.. » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Do I need to keep the linux-2.2.13mdk source in /usr/src? I see a bunch
> of subdirectories, and some *.h files in there that are taking up space.
> Is it common to keep it in expanded form for say, compiling purposes or
> something? Like the includes?

The only things you need in there are the files in /usr/src/linux/include,
and only then if you want to compile your own rather than relying on
RPMs/.debs...

|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |

Post by J Bla » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> Do I need to keep the linux-2.2.13mdk source in /usr/src? I see a bunch
>> of subdirectories, and some *.h files in there that are taking up space.
>> Is it common to keep it in expanded form for say, compiling purposes or
>> something? Like the includes?

>The only things you need in there are the files in /usr/src/linux/include,
>and only then if you want to compile your own rather than relying on
>RPMs/.debs...

If you installed the kernel includes from a package, keep them, you need
them to compile most (all?) C programs.

If you've rolled your own kernel and still have the source there, then still
keep those includes (you really want the same includes as the kernel you're
using). But to save space you can use: make clean, to get rid of all the
extraneous .o files etc.

In summary, clean out the *but leave it, it's a pretty useful (and
sometimes essential) part of a linux system.

Frinky