Linux/Perl -> Oracle 7.3 on SCO Unix (or other)

Linux/Perl -> Oracle 7.3 on SCO Unix (or other)

Post by Barry Roomber » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to be able to have a PERL program
on a Linux box access an Oracle instance across
the network.  I'm confused.  If I was connecting
2 SCO boxes, I'd setup a SQL/Net connection and
go from there.  No SQL/Net under Linux that
I'm aware of.  Am I wrong?  What are my
alternatives?  Can anyone point
me in a direction.  Thanks.

Post by Victor Wagn » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I'd like to be able to have a PERL program
: on a Linux box access an Oracle instance across
: the network.  I'm confused.  If I was connecting
: 2 SCO boxes, I'd setup a SQL/Net connection and
: go from there.  No SQL/Net under Linux that
: I'm aware of.  Am I wrong?  What are my
: alternatives?  Can anyone point
: me in a direction.  Thanks.

It is possible (search dejanews archives for this newsgroup) to install
and run oracle for SCO (not only SQLnet) under linux. I've seen
Somewhere on the net (may be ftp://ftp.price.ru) versions of oraperl and
oratcl which was compilied for SCO but was proved to run on Linux.

You'll need iBCS package for it.

Institute for Commerce          Office:7-(095)-333-2022
Engineering                     Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Programmer                      http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus

Post by Marcel van Osenbrugg » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I'd like to be able to have a PERL program
>on a Linux box access an Oracle instance across
>the network.  I'm confused.  If I was connecting
>2 SCO boxes, I'd setup a SQL/Net connection and
>go from there.  No SQL/Net under Linux that
>I'm aware of.  Am I wrong?  What are my
>alternatives?  Can anyone point
>me in a direction.  Thanks.

Use Perl modules DBD/DBI Oracle for your Oracle server connection. I use them
myself and you kow what... they work :-)

1. SCO Oracle 7.3. - Linux iBCS - JDBC - shmget() error

Hi:

I'm running SCO Oracle 7.3 on Linux using iBCS.  The database is up,
and the listener for SQL*Net is monitoring Port 1521.

With JDBC from Oracle, using the thin client, I am trying to connect
to the database with the following error:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
AT&T System V/386 Error: 2: No such file or directory

I guess the last three lines of error messages occur from bottom
to top (i.e. the "No such file.." error is the root cause), and
suspect that since I am running a SCO version under Linux, some
part of my directory structure is missing that is there under SCO.

Anyway, it seems the shmget() fails causing JDBC to not have access
to the database.  Any ideas for a fix to this problem?
--John.

2. (ifconfig) FreeBSD 4.3 with to NIC`s on the same network

3. Linux & Unix Oracle 7.3 Timeouts?

4. Installation fails for Adaptec (AIC7880) SCSI Controller

5. SCO 5.0.4 and Oracle 7.3 and FTP

6. mount cdrom error

7. Oracle / SCO Unix / Perl

8. Problems with Asus A7N8X-VM/400 ?

9. RH 6.2->7.3: empty headers: linux/config.h, linux/malloc.h and linux/slab.h

10. biz.sco ==>> comp.unix.sco

11. Perl developer/Unix SA turns PM and selling Library of unix/linux/perl books

12. Linux / Oracle 7.3

13. Oracle 7.3 on Linux, Installation Notes