RH 7.1 system working fine EXCEPT for login

RH 7.1 system working fine EXCEPT for login

Post by Jack Orenstei » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:47:29

I have a RedHat 7.1 system (2.4.2 kernel) which had been
working fine. Last night, it became unresponsive and logged
me out. I was unable to login again. It's not that valid
username/password combinations failed to login -- it didn't
even get to the point of requesting a password. I would type
in my username, hit return, and the system would immediately
request the username again.

Reboot: same thing.

Shut off power and reboot: same thing.

Except for this one problem, the system appears to be OK. The reboot
always succeeds, and all services running on the machine are working,
(e.g. http, imap).

Every so often, the console prints this message:

    Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

This may be correlated with repeated attempts to login, but I'm not sure
of this.

What on earth is going on?

Jack Orenstein

-- This is not a disclaimer --

Post by Stuart » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:45:30

> I have a RedHat 7.1 system (2.4.2 kernel) which had been
> working fine. Last night, it became unresponsive and logged
> me out. I was unable to login again. It's not that valid
> username/password combinations failed to login -- it didn't
> even get to the point of requesting a password. I would type
> in my username, hit return, and the system would immediately
> request the username again.

> Reboot: same thing.

> Shut off power and reboot: same thing.

> Except for this one problem, the system appears to be OK. The reboot
> always succeeds, and all services running on the machine are working,
> (e.g. http, imap).

> Every so often, the console prints this message:

>     Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

> This may be correlated with repeated attempts to login, but I'm not sure
> of this.

> What on earth is going on?

> Jack Orenstein

> -- This is not a disclaimer --

Easy on the cross-posting, I've set the follow-up to
comp.os.linux.questions, follow the thread there.

"init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."
In most distributions this means that the system is booting by default
into runlevel 5, which is supposed to respawn (re-start again after
it's been exited) a graphical login via xdm, kdm, gdm, or whatever,
and the system can't locate the program.

However, "Id" can also indicate the absence or misconfiguration of
another program, like mingetty, if init tries to respawn itself more
than 10 times in 2 minutes.

Id "x" is the number in the leftmost column of the /etc/inittab file:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Commenting the offending line out and then fixing the errant program
and testing on the command line will allow you to see any error
messages that go to standard error output (console) if the errors are
not going to the system log file. Uncomment the line and restart init
with "kill -SIGHUP 1" or "telinit q" to cause init to reinitialize and
reread the /etc/inittab file.

Some systems, however, rewrite /etc/inittab when booting. In that
case, refer to the init man page, and/or the settings in
/etc/sysconfig/init.

Refer to the init and /etc/inittab man pages for detailed information. "init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."
[...]

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:03:59

Quote:> I have a RedHat 7.1 system (2.4.2 kernel) which had been
> working fine. Last night, it became unresponsive and logged
> me out. I was unable to login again. It's not that valid
> username/password combinations failed to login -- it didn't
> even get to the point of requesting a password. I would type
> in my username, hit return, and the system would immediately
> request the username again.

> Reboot: same thing.

> Shut off power and reboot: same thing.

> Except for this one problem, the system appears to be OK. The reboot
> always succeeds, and all services running on the machine are working,
> (e.g. http, imap).

> Every so often, the console prints this message:

>     Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

> This may be correlated with repeated attempts to login, but I'm not sure
> of this.

> What on earth is going on?

> Jack Orenstein

> -- This is not a disclaimer --

Did you try changing keyboards in case you have a stuck key causing this?

ken k

RH 7.1 system working fine EXCEPT for login

Post by Gary Smi » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 03:35:54

Jack,

Quote:> Every so often, the console prints this message:

>     Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Is this computer hooked to the net?  Are you trying to login via
telnet/ssh or locally.  If it is hooked to the net take it off and
restart it.  It almosts looks like an attack or something.

just my $0.02...

Quote:

> What on earth is going on?

Well, my stocks are still failing to acheive my retirement status and
I can't find my car keys... :)

Gary Smith

Post by Davi » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:20:37

> I have a RedHat 7.1 system (2.4.2 kernel) which had been
> working fine. Last night, it became unresponsive and logged me
> out. I was unable to login again. It's not that valid
> username/password combinations failed to login -- it didn't
> even get to the point of requesting a password. I would type
> in my username, hit return, and the system would immediately
> request the username again.

> Reboot: same thing.

> Shut off power and reboot: same thing.

> Except for this one problem, the system appears to be OK. The
> reboot always succeeds, and all services running on the
> machine are working, (e.g. http, imap).

> Every so often, the console prints this message:

> Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

> This may be correlated with repeated attempts to login, but
> I'm not sure of this.

I've had a similar problem on RH systems and sometimes I have
found the following to fix it.

Can you boot into single user mode?
If you can then, "rm -rf /tmp/*" then see if you can switch to
runlevel 3 and login. If that works then switch to runlevel 5 if
you need X running. This may not be the answer but I have used it
on redhat systems in the past.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

RH 7.1 system working fine EXCEPT for login

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:17:34

[FollowUp-To: ignored due to invalid group]

[...]

Quote:>Easy on the cross-posting, I've set the follow-up to
>comp.os.linux.questions, follow the thread there.

Please avoid all references to non-existant groups that are
only valid for incorrectly configured machines. col.questions has been
_deleted_ more then 6 years ago, along with col.help. Only Google in its
irresponsible manner continues to keep that as a seemingly real group -
which it isn't. The current col.* hierarchy has been created to
supersede the obsolete .help and .questions groups with more distinctive
newsgroups.

Quote:>"init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."
>In most distributions this means that the system is booting by default
>into runlevel 5, which is supposed to respawn (re-start again after
>it's been exited) a graphical login via xdm, kdm, gdm, or whatever,
>and the system can't locate the program.

[...]

Right. If "Id 1" is respawning, however, it seems that the machine
in question has lost vital parts of its setup, either due to a malfunction
of the underlying hardware (hard disk error), or because the system was
hacked into. Disconnect the machine from the Internet _immediately_,
boot from a rescue disk and check the filesystems for integrity and
possible changes from external sources. Since it was a RH7.1 system,
chances are good that critical updates have not been applied in time.

Michael

Post by Joe Beanfis » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:50:34

> I have a RedHat 7.1 system (2.4.2 kernel) which had been
> working fine. Last night, it became unresponsive and logged
> me out. I was unable to login again. It's not that valid
> username/password combinations failed to login -- it didn't
> even get to the point of requesting a password. I would type
> in my username, hit return, and the system would immediately
> request the username again.

> Reboot: same thing.

> Shut off power and reboot: same thing.

> Except for this one problem, the system appears to be OK. The reboot
> always succeeds, and all services running on the machine are working,
> (e.g. http, imap).

> Every so often, the console prints this message:

>     Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Sounds like you lost some critical program or file, possibly due
to a break-in or doing something bad while logged in as root.
Boot with your rescue floppy and snoop around. Look at inittab
to see what id 1 is at least.

Post by Ed Murph » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:28:31

>>Easy on the cross-posting, I've set the follow-up to
>>comp.os.linux.questions, follow the thread there.
> Please avoid all references to non-existant groups that are
> only valid for incorrectly configured machines. col.questions has been
> _deleted_ more then 6 years ago, along with col.help. Only Google in its
> irresponsible manner continues to keep that as a seemingly real group -
> which it isn't. The current col.* hierarchy has been created to
> supersede the obsolete .help and .questions groups with more distinctive
> newsgroups.

I understand what you're getting at here, but calling a group
"nonexistent" or "deleted" is rather confusing to the newbie
when the group exists *and* gets significant traffic.  "Obsolete"
is better; "deprecated" might be better still.

The statement "Only Google ... continues to keep that as a seemingly
real group" is false.  Other news servers (including mine) also deal
with it as if it were normal.

Maybe someone should crosspost a weekly "obsolete groups" FAQ to the
obsolete groups plus col.misc, explaining which groups are obsolete and
why (a URL reference to the RFD/CFV mechanism should suffice), and that
your news server *may* carry some of the obsolete groups and they *may*
get significant traffic but they probably have much worse propagation
than the non-obsolete groups.

Now, to bring this back on topic, at least slightly:  Suppose I write
such a FAQ and save it in a file.  What shell command can I use to post
the contents of this file non-interactively, such that the group list
and subject are specified within the command (or within the file)?  I
can then set that up as a weekly cron job.  'man slrn' and 'man pine'
don't seem to offer any hints.

RH 7.1 system working fine EXCEPT for login

Post by Mr. Berserk » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:15:22

Quote:>     Init: id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Your /etc/inittab seems to be screwed up. See if you can go into
rescue mode with the RedHat boot CD. The rescue mode mounts (I think)
your root partition on /mnt/sysimage, so look for
/mnt/sysimage/etc/inittab and view it with less. There will be a
number of lines in there, delimited by colons. Look for one that
begins with '1:', then post it here. I should really like to see that
line. Then I may give further instructions.