text search with ghostview howto?

Post by Raymond L » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
    Can I search for a word in a pdf or ps document with ghostview? How?

    Moreover, I want to have 'copy and paste' too. Is it possible with
ghostview? Or do I need other tools?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Yours,
    Raymond

Post by David T. Bla » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
>     Can I search for a word in a pdf or ps document with ghostview? How?

>     Moreover, I want to have 'copy and paste' too. Is it possible with
> ghostview? Or do I need other tools?

What tools are you used to using to do cut and paste with
postscript files ??

Ghostview is not much of a program for handling postscript - it
is better thought of as an elegant wrapper around the ghostscript
rendering engine which takes in postscript commands and outputs
rasterized plots (actually, I mean gv - ghostview is not that
elegant).

Postscript is an ascii format - you can search it with grep. Pdf
is sort of like compressed postscript with links. It can be
decompressed and searched. Neither format is particularly
amenable to being searched easily unless you know them.

--
Dave Blake - hacking postscript since 1990.

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: Hello,
:     Can I search for a word in a pdf or ps document with ghostview? How?

:     Moreover, I want to have 'copy and paste' too. Is it possible with
: ghostview? Or do I need other tools?

     For pdf, try xpdf or AcrobatReader.
     For postscript - I don't know, probably no way but ps2pdf.