Windows NT magazine articles on Linux

Post by Charles Morr » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone read the December "Windows NT" issue? They have a couple of
articles on Linux (not very flattering articles). Mark Russinovich makes
a number of comments about the different kernal structures between Linux
and NT. I don't know Linux's kernal structure that well, so I can't
comment, but I'm curious if anyone who does would care to comment.

This also brings to mind a question, where do you get that kind of info
about Linux's structure? I mean, most books are definately aimed at a
beginner's level, so books won't have that kind of level of detail in
them . Is there a How-To or document that describes the features of ext2,
the architechture of the kernal, etc?

 Charles M

Post by Ed Finc » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> This also brings to mind a question, where do you get that kind of info
> about Linux's structure? I mean, most books are definately aimed at a
> beginner's level, so books won't have that kind of level of detail in
> them . Is there a How-To or document that describes the features of ext2,
> the architechture of the kernal, etc?

I bought a copy of "Linux Device Drivers" by Alessandro Rubini. I've
never intended to write a device driver, but it has been interesting
reading ;-)

Regards,
Ed
--
   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

Windows NT magazine articles on Linux

Post by xcit » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:03:10 -0600,
Charles Morris wrote

[... snipped because I didn't read the article in the NT Magazine ...]

  |This also brings to mind a question, where do you get that kind of info
  |about Linux's structure? I mean, most books are definately aimed at a
  |beginner's level, so books won't have that kind of level of detail in
  |them . Is there a How-To or document that describes the features of ext2,
  |the architechture of the kernal, etc?

Pick up a copy of Linux Kernel Internals, by Beck, Bohme, et. al. I
believe the book is in its second edition now. The ISBN of the first
edition is 0-201-87741-4. This book'll be a good start for you.

--

Linux - the choice of a GNU generation.

Key fingerprint = E6 30 57 68 E9 3E 4B 79 5E B7 DE EF F8 DF 90 8F
Public Key Block at:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA883405D

Post by Radovan Bra » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:03:10 -0600,
>Charles Morris wrote

>[... snipped because I didn't read the article in the NT Magazine ...]

>  |This also brings to mind a question, where do you get that kind of info
>  |about Linux's structure? I mean, most books are definately aimed at a
>  |beginner's level, so books won't have that kind of level of detail in
>  |them . Is there a How-To or document that describes the features of ext2,
>  |the architechture of the kernal, etc?

>Pick up a copy of Linux Kernel Internals, by Beck, Bohme, et. al. I
>believe the book is in its second edition now. The ISBN of the first
>edition is 0-201-87741-4. This book'll be a good start for you.

   And there is always kernel source, of course, where *every* detail
   about the kernel inner workings can be found ...

      RB

>--

>Linux - the choice of a GNU generation.

1. FYI: Windows NT Magazines Exposes Serious Linux Limitations

FYI: The new issue of Windows NT magazine has an informative article that
explains some serious Linux 2.2 limitations has in multi-processor
"enterprise" environments. They demonstrate why NT 4.0 and some UNIX flavors
are a better choice than Linux.

BTW, I'm only pointing to this article, I have no idea whether what they say
in there is all accurate. One thing is true though, this article will
encourage MIS professionals to continue using NT servers instead of farting
around with Linux.

Anyway, don't shut the messenger !!!

Jorge Padron

2. Network Error "No route to host"

3. PC Magazine's linux article

4. Backup / Recovery

5. PC-Magazine Linux Article!!!!

6. Fed Up With R5: Yellow Dog Anyone?

7. April SunExpert Magazine article example? (help)

8. Delete files older than 1 day.

9. Call for Articles - Crossroads Magazine

10. Two cool articles from CIO magazine!

11. New York Times magazine article

12. Call for Articles - Crossroads Magazine

13. VPN Information For Magazine Article