File sychronizing tool, performance graph tool

File sychronizing tool, performance graph tool

Post by Ronald Holzloehne » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:21:00

Hi,

 I have two questions:

1) I need a tool to synchronize files between my computer at work and at
home. It should work like this: I give it a list of files/directories
that are present on both machines and to be sync'ed. Upon connection
(56k modem), the utility compares modification times for each listed
file and updates whichever is older. I looked at cvs, but don't like it
very much for this purpose (some of my files are pretty big, I don't
like having to 'commit' all the time, some of the files are binary and
don't like cvs tags etc. etc.) Any ideas?

2) I once used a performance meter tool under X, it showed CPU usage,
memory, disk i/o, network i/o etc. as moving graphs. Not the bar graph
type a la xosview, but a curve over time. I can't seem to remember its
name or find it in /usr/bin/X11.

Thanks,
Ron

--
Ronald Holzloehner

File sychronizing tool, performance graph tool

Post by Les Mikesel » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 04:34:19

Quote:

> Hi,

>  I have two questions:

> 1) I need a tool to synchronize files between my computer at work and at
> home. It should work like this: I give it a list of files/directories
> that are present on both machines and to be sync'ed. Upon connection
> (56k modem), the utility compares modification times for each listed
> file and updates whichever is older. I looked at cvs, but don't like it
> very much for this purpose (some of my files are pretty big, I don't
> like having to 'commit' all the time, some of the files are binary and
> don't like cvs tags etc. etc.) Any ideas?

Use rsync.  If it isn't in your distribution, look at
http://rsync.samba.org.
It only works one direction at a time, so if you want to pick the newest
on each system you have to run it twice.

  Les Mikesell

1. Tools Tools Tools ... wanted

Greetings,

We have seveeral unix servers which are tightly link together(cross mount
points, NIS master/slave, NFS mounted $HOME, >5 network cards/server==>
routing nightmare...) I don't think there are any commercial tools off the
shelf can help us to manage this server.

What I need:
Do you know there is any public domain tools that will check most of the
unix daemon/NFS/NIS configuration/print queue/route.. in one command. It
would be a good
base for me to start so I can modify to the way we want. Right now there
is always something missing after system reboot and it took us hours to
locate them. I am sure that there is some tools that some administrators
are using now bit I don'tknow.

I appreciate any pointers and thoughts.

Bo

(Please email me also)

2. Largest hit rages on UNIX box or Windows?

3. performance tools for analyzing java performance

4. Is there any equivalent for Software Update Service in linux?

5. ANNOUNCE: FMRTG: File based Web plotting tool with Solaris performance plots

6. Sound problem "I can't hear my Linux"

7. graph tool for web

8. Dual-boot crisis...help!!

9. Monitor and Graph Apache Web Statistics Using Cricket or Some other Tool

10. HPL output graphing tool

11. Non-interactive graphing tool

12. VCG Graph Layout Tool V.1.30

13. Ethermon / Net. Traffic graph tool?